A quick question

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Yes or No?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 19

Amberlee
Myth

Re: A quick question

Post by Amberlee » 22 Jan 2011 22:43

Completely agree with Chanele here.
Questing, even for us oldtimers here, is quite frustrating.
Syntaxes that dont make sense.. Not getting any hints at all where to find things needed et cetra et cetra.
And not to mention VERY TIME CONSUMING even for SMALL rewards..
In fact some of the bigger quests take LESS time then many of the smaller ones.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 23 Jan 2011 12:37

No!
Make the quest hints better instead, where they need to be. And fix poor syntax where they need to be fixed. Bug report anything you feel is illogical or stupid (like not getting any hint on how to help the dwarf king, and the options there being so limited).

And no, I have not used any quest solutions here... yet.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 23 Jan 2011 14:18

Booger, you probably haven't seen some of the quests on gen yet. When you manage to finish for example the "Bury Bones" quest in Sybarus on your own, please come back to this thread and review your opinion...
Some of the quests are damn hard to do even with walkthroughs.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 23 Jan 2011 15:20

You are right, Rhaegar. I haven't seen most.
But if that quest is so poor, how about making a number of bug reports complaining on the lack of quest leads? If everyone does it, maybe it will get fixed?
(Oh, and when making a bug report, if you give a suggestion on how to fix things, you will probably have a higher chance of something actually happening).
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 23 Jan 2011 16:39

Can't make a bug report because technically nothing is bugged. Personally, I wonder myself how did people come up with the original solutions. I mean, some of the harder quests are definitely doable if you invest enough time, but figuring out the MM entrance where you need not one but two people who must know what to do and synchronize their actions? Seriously?
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 23 Jan 2011 17:30

Right!
Then make an idea report. Or several.
Though if the solution is virtually impossible to figure out, I'd say it's a bug.

I do totally agree that poor syntaxes and missing/crappy hints can ruin a quest and force you into asking for help or rely on other people's solutions. We may have different views on the solution, but we want the same thing.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 23 Jan 2011 20:07

Hmm... Cherek has offered to work on making the quests better.
http://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewto ... f=6&t=1249
Good ideas, sounds like he has some coding knowledge. If he can be trusted, how about giving him access to work on them? No need to give full access, just give access to one domain at a time. Ought to work, and wouldn't take any power from other wizards' work on other projects.
And if this works, let it be known, so people can mail him with complaints and suggestions (and access to report files, so he can look through them for complaints/suggestions).
Or maybe someone else would be interested in doing this work?
I don't know how tough it is to get accepted as a coder and get trusted with priviliges, but if someone with coding skills, good ideas and trust offers to do this, it might be worth considering.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 23 Jan 2011 21:48

From what I heard some similar project is in the works. Kitriana had the same idea as me and also contact the admin about helping out. I am still up for helping with that, and since its such a big project I think the best would be if it could work like the quest-orbs. Mortals come with suggestions in exchange for some type of reward, and current wizards implement them. (or if some of us mortals wanna make a wiz-second and do it would also work of course.).

Rhaegars initial suggestion would work fine as a base, it describes the quest, and the hints needed. Just add some RP-style "talk" for the quest NPC, send it in, and it could be implemented right away I think. By anyone with with just a LPC little coding experience. Of course, it needs to be structured in some clever way first by someone who is good at... structuring. I am terrible.:)

Btw Kitriana, any updates on that?

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 24 Jan 2011 14:44

I think there are some other projects that are priority right now by wizards.. So I have nothing to report at this time. But a plan has been sketched out on my part about how to tackle... I just need to review with upstairs team on what criteria they want from me. I do like some of booger's ideas.. so hopefully we can integrate some of that.
I believe the quests will become more intuitive and syntax friendly with what I've suggested. I have a lot of ideas as this has been a topic I've been dreaming on for some time.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/