A quick question

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Yes or No?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 19

Rhaegar
Legend

A quick question

Post by Rhaegar » 22 Jan 2011 12:46

Code: Select all

=============================================================================
 STOLEN CASSOCK QUEST
 (Alexis in Argos Park)

<*> ask alexis tour
<*> (Epsoros in SW part of Argos) ask epsoros thief, ask epsoros object
<*> (southern part of forest) search forest (woodsmen will block exit)
<*> (Epsoros) give cassock to epsoros
<*> (Alexis) ask alexis reward

Protip #1: If you can't handle the woodsmen just drop the cassock and they
           will allow you to escape
Protip #2: You can use your pin to get past woodsmen without fighting them
=============================================================================
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: A quick question

Post by Cherek » 22 Jan 2011 12:55

I say no, because I dont think your newbie pin should be some type of get-out-of-jail-free card. If a quest needs you to kill some woodsmen, kill them. If you cant, get someone to help you. Getting someone to help you also improves the social aspect of the game and you might even make a friend.

Being able to use the newbie pin to get out of danger and solve quests I dont think is a good idea. If (when) quests are to be changed, they should be more logical and with more hints.

Doesnt the woodsmen already let you escape if you drop the cassock? If not, that idea sounds fair enough. I never remember that quest as dangerous though. You sure they will block and kill you no matter what you do?

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 22 Jan 2011 13:02

The question was not about a pin (this is something I found out by accident). My primary inquiry here is if quest solutions in this form would be acceptable to release to the wider public. Not a walkthrough per se but more of a set of hints and pointers that make it less frustrating.
This could help mostly with quests that have some really obscure syntaxes that are nigh impossible to find on your own.

Just wanted to ask before I proceed to edit any more of them (as it's a pretty daunting task in itself).

Creed

Post by Creed » 22 Jan 2011 13:31

There are too much walkthrough about it.
It even says what you should write at epsoros.

If you drop the cassock, you can freely walk away.
They only block you if you have it in your inventory. Probably also if in pack. I don't know, as I didn't try that option.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 22 Jan 2011 14:27

Well, I've specifically chosen this particular quest as the example since everything there is told to you (Epsoros mentions a thief when you walk into the room and then mentions the woodsmen) so I wouldn't reveal too much by posting it here.
Still, it seems that people oppose releasing even such "censored" quest solutions to the public.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Jan 2011 15:55

Maybe you should edit your first post or the vote option to include the question on what we are voting on. It confused me for sure. :)

It's still no for me though. Not because I am against quest solutions or their distribution, but because I would much rather we improve our quests instead as a permanent solution. I would much more prefer this to be kept ingame, and that the questmaster gives you more information from the start and more and better hints if you ask for it. All in character of course and following the story of the quest. Better to make the quests more fun and better than adding walkthroughs somewhere else. The amount of work is probably similar either way.

So I would rather see we take your hints and embed them into the questmaster. So if you ask further questions he tells you something like he has heard a rumour it might be woodsmen hiding out in the southeastern parts of the forest. And if you go there and cant figure something out, you can return to the questmaster and ask him about that and get another hint on what syntax to use or something.

I dont agree with Creed that they are too good hints, I think we need to eliminate syntax-confusion so letting people know what commands to use is all good I think. So I am all for the hints, but not in the form of a "book of walkthroughs" without any story or RP-element, but rather added to the questmaster in RP-ish form.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 22 Jan 2011 17:44

Well, perhaps one day we will see a unified quest code too (similar to the gen-wide guild and skill balance) so syntaxes wouldn't be as confusing.
Imagine if all the quest NPCs would have the "talk" command implemented (this feature in Kabal kicks some serious ass) so finding out the questmasters and quests in general would become easier. They could also give away a bit more information this way, before you even proceed to "ask" them about the specifics.

Another thing I don't get is why different questmasters react to different things (job, tour, task, quest, help). Please make them all the same.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 22 Jan 2011 18:28

I voted yes.

I think Genesis could learn something from Discworld MUD, and make quest-solutions available in several versions, that have more clues or less clues depending on how you prefer to do quests.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 22 Jan 2011 21:24

I voted Yes, there should be solutions or hints better then the orbs for everyone. Creed why should you hold solutions while the newcomers dont? Atleast give them the choice. I'm not for walkthroughs but much better hints then today is needed. Rhaegar is on to something, it might need some finishing touches but better then nothing.

Everyone who votes no has used solutions tehmselves. Who do you think you are fooling?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Jan 2011 22:42

Chanele: I explained why I voted no, I also want more and better hints, but I do not think this is the form for it. So yes for more hints, no for presenting it this way. And there was no such voting option. :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/