Imbuements

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Imbuements

Post by Cherek » 25 Feb 2011 21:48

Alexi: What do you mean the smith in Sanction cant repair armours? What did I miss?

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 25 Feb 2011 21:50

Tive wrote:Sparkle would be much busier if there was some Troll cave nearby or sewers full of giant rats (legend size or so...).
try that :)
Now your talking. Specially if each rat wore a imbued item, and had 100 plats a piece on them.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 25 Feb 2011 21:54

Umm Alexi... Theros is in Solace not Sanction. And the Sanction smith can repair armours.

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 25 Feb 2011 22:06

Ilrahil wrote:Umm Alexi... Theros is in Solace not Sanction. And the Sanction smith can repair armours.
Ya Ya I meant to say Theros in Solace, but in the books he went from Slave --> Minotaur Army Smith --> Sanction --> Solace.

LEAVE ME ALONE, I'm trying to work here.

Zingil
Apprentice

Post by Zingil » 06 Mar 2011 13:14

So... returning to the issue of imbued items.

How about having the imbued items being cloned with the NPCs just as they are now but the 'unusual', 'peculiar', and 'exotic' adjective only being set when the items leaves the inventory of the NPC? This would most commonly happen when the NPCs belongings is transferred to his corpse, or the ground, upon death.

This way we would stay true to the lore of the imbued items and the NPC wielding/wearing the object would have full access to its powers but the players wouldnt notice the imbuement until actually having defeated the NPC and being able to take a good look at the items.

This shold prevent cherry picking and giving eveyone an equal chance of obtaining the imbued items.

-Zingil's player

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 06 Mar 2011 13:42

I like Zigil's idea.

In current implementation the excitement of the gambling is not there.
You know, whether you are going to get an imbued item before the combat.
Ruins the whole surprise aspect. :(

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 07 Mar 2011 18:15

Good idea! Maybe that is just the thing to fix the issue. Thanks Zingil!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Mar 2011 21:21

Booger:
I'd suggest reconsidering the possibility of hiding the imbuements until item has been looted.

Gorboth:
With regard to distribution. Here's what I hear people being worried about: People will run around, load areas, and only bother to kill those npcs that load with imbued items. Then, the next people to come along have to kill all the npcs in the area to get them to respawn with new imbuement chances. You are correct. It will still work, though. Lets live with it a while and see how it goes.

Cherek:
I would rather see the actual imbuement appear upon death, not when the NPC loads. I dont know if it is technically harder. But I suppose that is a pretty big change code-wise. But trying to get a closer look at someone's equipment while its on them is pretty hard I would assume. It wouldnt be totally out of place if you would not notice it until the item leaves the person its on...

Gorboth:
If you understand the storyline, you will understand that it would make absolutely no sense for imbuements to magically poof onto an item once an npc dies. That is not how imbuements work at all. Theme trumps, unless there is some considerable gameplay problem. In this case, the gameplay effect is a matter of preference rather than playability. So, we stick to what is thematic.

Zingil:
How about having the imbued items being cloned with the NPCs just as they are now but the 'unusual', 'peculiar', and 'exotic' adjective only being set when the items leaves the inventory of the NPC? This would most commonly happen when the NPCs belongings is transferred to his corpse, or the ground, upon death.

Gorboth:
Good idea! Maybe that is just the thing to fix the issue. Thanks Zingil!
Gorboth:
Just out of curiousity, since you were so strongly against this idea when it was first suggested, by Booger, myself, and others, how come you suddenly like the same idea you dismissed so forcefully before? Just a change of heart, or you found out something new after a few weeks monitoring the system in place?

I am all for it though, just wondered what made you change your mind?

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 07 Mar 2011 22:38

Actually, I fear this is just a case of me being a bit overworked and confused. I didn't really think about this enough before that last response. Speaking to Lavellan, I was reminded why I felt so strongly about the former stance.

The problem with them becoming non-obvious is that then we will probably no longer see people exploring parts of the mud they normally would ignore. I suspect people would just return to their old grinding habits, finding imbuements when they pop up.

What is better, I wonder? A mud where people seek out the nooks and crannies looking for imbuements? or ... A mud where people just grind like they always did, and are pleasantly surprised when it yields an imbuement?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 07 Mar 2011 23:17

gorboth wrote:Actually, I fear this is just a case of me being a bit overworked and confused. I didn't really think about this enough before that last response. Speaking to Lavellan, I was reminded why I felt so strongly about the former stance.

The problem with them becoming non-obvious is that then we will probably no longer see people exploring parts of the mud they normally would ignore. I suspect people would just return to their old grinding habits, finding imbuements when they pop up.

What is better, I wonder? A mud where people seek out the nooks and crannies looking for imbuements? or ... A mud where people just grind like they always did, and are pleasantly surprised when it yields an imbuement?

G.
I'm not sure if this argument has already been made before but..

With imbuements being obvious, it doesn't actually mean players will spend much time in remote areas. Once an area is completely devoided of imbuements the casual searcher will just move on after inspecting a lot of people. I think by making it non-obvious, it forces people to stay and fight in certain locations more...

To give you an example that exist today...certain areas are not really good for xp grinding, but there is a boss that has good armour or weapon. People enter these areas slay the boss then leave (and perhaps inspect areas). If the items were non-obvious, it would give incentive to people to clear the whole area, even if the exp may not be as good.

Those focused on xp can still continue to grind. Those who want to search for imbuements can search for them. By having different groups of people, it encourages an economy and further cooperation between players. Also, enterprising groups can perhaps take advantage of this opportunity, and create some kind of economy as well...

Just food for thought.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/