Imbuements

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Greneth

Re: Imbuements

Post by Greneth » 19 Feb 2011 19:15

OgreToyBoy wrote:But a random enchant for 1000 platinum seems awful.
Let's say I go enchant my hammer of death and get a +50 tracking bonus to it.
Or lets say you get an Exotic 3 mod enhancement that does 3 different types of damage?

Holy Blade is non dulling, FBB, Blackened Scimi, Azure for non dulling. Think theres a few more..

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 2868
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Imbuements

Post by Cherek » 19 Feb 2011 19:22

Well, until someone has tried the 1000p thing a few times maybe we should not judge its usefulness too much.

It may be random, but we do not know "how" random. Perhaps a sword cant get a tracking skill-boost, perhaps they get damage-imbuements (but random ones). Or some other type of randomness.

Sharn
Expert
Posts: 289
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 12:34

Re: Imbuements

Post by Sharn » 21 Feb 2011 22:25

gorboth wrote:So ... surely some of you have found "unusual", "peculiar", or "exotic" items by now.

Let's hear it! :-)

G.
First I would like to say I really like the imbuements system.
The quests are fun! We need more stuff like that in my opinion.

Now...having this said - to the point :mrgreen:
gorboth wrote:The goals include:

- Making grinding a great deal more fun and rewarding.
- Making every kill seem like a pull a the good-ol-imbuement slot machine.
- Putting more fun and varied magical items into the game.
- Challenging players to master the deep lore of the imbuement system
- Creating a vast new money sink (the crafting is *very* expensive)
My main concern is:
- Making every kill seem like a pull a the good-ol-imbuement slot machine.
This does not work like described. At least not from what I have found.

I can run around places with large amount of NPCs, examining all NPCs.
If NPC is wearing or wielding something "unusual", "peculiar" or "exotic" I kill him.

So I can just pull the slot machines that will give me the reward! Thats win-win-win-win...situation?

I thought it is supposed to be so, that I do not know whether the NPC does have an imbued item untill I loot them?

1. Making grinding a great deal more fun and rewarding.
Just more rewarding...the killin' is good ole killin'.
2. Making every kill seem like a pull a the good-ol-imbuement slot machine.
Not working as intended from what I found. I hope it will be addressed.
3. Putting more fun and varied magical items into the game.
Absolutely! :mrgreen:
4. Challenging players to master the deep lore of the imbuement system
Challenging? No. But there is some extra lore, which I like :)
5. Creating a vast new money sink (the crafting is *very* expensive)
Working as intended I guess. :shock:

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2305
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Imbuements

Post by gorboth » 22 Feb 2011 00:36

sharn wrote: My main concern is:
gorboth wrote:- Making every kill seem like a pull a the good-ol-imbuement slot machine.
This does not work like described. At least not from what I have found.

I can run around places with large amount of NPCs, examining all NPCs.
If NPC is wearing or wielding something "unusual", "peculiar" or "exotic" I kill him.

So I can just pull the slot machines that will give me the reward! Thats win-win-win-win...situation?

I thought it is supposed to be so, that I do not know whether the NPC does have an imbued item untill I loot them?
You are correct Sharn, if you choose the "look before you kill" method, this is how it will work. However, by only selecting the raisins and ignoring the bran flakes, what you end up with is a bowl filled with nothing but bran flakes. The more you eat both, the faster you get more raisins. Hope this analogy made sense. ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

User avatar
Kitriana
Champion
Posts: 627
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:46
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Imbuements

Post by Kitriana » 22 Feb 2011 01:23

In terms of the money sink for identifying...

I think intially there will be a major money sink by those parties trying to decipher imbuement qualities (for who don't have alternative methods). But once a codex is made.... the cost will level out quite a bit. And then your costs will be primarily from a crafting stand point. While my calculations still put the prospect kind of high... I'm still waiting to see how it will play out over time. I guess I'll actually have to spend time looting.. where in the past I didn't.

Not to mention the fact that it breaks up peoples activities a bit more so they're not just going after areas with high XP... especially considering some of those spots have NPCS with no loot.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Booger
Veteran
Posts: 245
Joined: 11 Aug 2010 23:39
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Imbuements

Post by Booger » 22 Feb 2011 04:29

Still haven't solved more than 1:st quest, but I LOVE that shiny steel amulet! I'm gonn'a have so much fun with it!
To force everyone to pay to learn which imbuement does what, you could probably make the imbuements look different to different players ("Perception of these magical things are in the eye of the beholder - personal"). That way you can't just copy someone else's file, but have to spend your money on identify just like everyone else. Not sure if this is something wanted, though.
If I was a highbie, I'd probably be interested in imbuements on these really good items. And so I'd probably make a script to run to eq-mob-1, check his eq, run to eq-mob-2, check his eq, run to eq-mob-3, check, etc (skipping ones that are especially hard to get to). Even if this would leave me with a bowl of bran-flakes, it would still be worth it, to be able to pick out any golden raisins before someone else does the same, leaving me with the bran-bowl without raisins. I believe this will happen, so I'd suggest reconsidering the possibility of hiding the imbuements until item has been looted.
Otherwise, GREAT work! I still have a lot to explore here, but what I've seen sofar is excellent!
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 2868
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Imbuements

Post by Cherek » 22 Feb 2011 04:44

Booger wrote: If I was a highbie, I'd probably be interested in imbuements on these really good items. And so I'd probably make a script to run to eq-mob-1, check his eq, run to eq-mob-2, check his eq, run to eq-mob-3, check, etc (skipping ones that are especially hard to get to). Even if this would leave me with a bowl of bran-flakes, it would still be worth it, to be able to pick out any golden raisins before someone else does the same, leaving me with the bran-bowl without raisins. I believe this will happen, so I'd suggest reconsidering the possibility of hiding the imbuements until item has been looted.
Otherwise, GREAT work! I still have a lot to explore here, but what I've seen sofar is excellent!
Thats what I fear will happen too. And then someone has to go around killing everything to make it reboot when everything is already cleaned of imbuements...

It was my main worry before, and it still is. Imbuements risks being something people who script will do best, and do alone. And it seems to have begun already.

However! Even so, I still think it's a fun addition. People script-grind anyway, atleast this way they wont just script-grind to grow stats so it will slow that down a little perhaps... (Especially since trolls dont carry imbuements which is actually pretty great I tink). And it does make regular grinding a little more interesting no matter if you script or not I suppose.

But I too agree with Sharn and Booger that if they appeared when the thing died (like in Diablo) it would perhaps be better and cause less iriitation?

Anyway, mostly praise from me too. But I am actually even more excited about the newbie dungeon, I think its exactly what we needed.

User avatar
OgreToyBoy
Champion
Posts: 610
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 11:36

Re: Imbuements

Post by OgreToyBoy » 22 Feb 2011 07:25

Greneth wrote:
OgreToyBoy wrote:But a random enchant for 1000 platinum seems awful.
Let's say I go enchant my hammer of death and get a +50 tracking bonus to it.
Or lets say you get an Exotic 3 mod enhancement that does 3 different types of damage?

Holy Blade is non dulling, FBB, Blackened Scimi, Azure for non dulling. Think theres a few more..
ok I spend 1000 plats and now I got a hammer that give +10 life spell skill.. I do believe it is totally random now :lol:

Greneth

Re: Imbuements

Post by Greneth » 22 Feb 2011 07:29

OgreToyBoy wrote:
Greneth wrote:
OgreToyBoy wrote:But a random enchant for 1000 platinum seems awful.
Let's say I go enchant my hammer of death and get a +50 tracking bonus to it.
Or lets say you get an Exotic 3 mod enhancement that does 3 different types of damage?

Holy Blade is non dulling, FBB, Blackened Scimi, Azure for non dulling. Think theres a few more..
ok I spend 1000 plats and now I got a hammer that give +10 life spell skill.. I do believe it is totally random now :lol:
Its always been random thats the point, you could get something shitty like that or.. something really nice.

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 2868
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Imbuements

Post by Cherek » 22 Feb 2011 07:30

Hey I am sure thats great for an ogre!:)

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/