Need for a change

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Freya

Need for a change

Post by Freya » 20 Feb 2011 18:54

Hi there,

With recent events in game(the goblin raid in sparkle etc)it's starting to look more and more like the game are not balancing properly.

We are seing evil guilds being left in their own stale state, where they have solo grind possiblities, but 0 team abilities(not counting Angmar defend skill, which does not prevent person from getting killed while you defend them).

I feel that in the past, evils were given a slight edge, in the damage department, evils did a bit more damage than goodies, to counter for the fact we had no heal/rescue/move behind(sure we got 1 healing guild, but its dead due to leadership issues and have been for a decade).

I do believe as a result of this, evil players are not as encouraged to form teams(lets face it most bigger evil chars are sort of loners, and team up only to PVP or to gain equipment).

The question I have to bring up is how come it ended up like this? Any wizard know what kind of logic was used back in the day when the ideas for guilds were made up?

I am curious as to how things were calculated back then and how they are being thought through now?

While I am not asking for for an I-Win button, nor really more damage or better tanking(while sure it would be darn nice hehe), I do think it would be nice and encouraging to evil players to get some sort of team abilities similar to the ones goodies have.

Wether or not this is a possibility or not, I do not know, I am no wizard! But at least I feel that the matter should be brought up and perhaps together we can come up with something?

As it stands now, evil chars have no edge anywhere in the game really(apart from goblin racial settings being crazy good), while the on the other side of the fence, you have guilds with abilities that help them work together, helps them stay alive , helps them in PVP.

Or am I just hallucinating here, does nobody see this as a problem for the game's growth/future?

I personally think that unless something changes, we will see the game kind of lack of evil chars around , that we did as few years ago, when almost no evil chars(meaning regular chars who are constantly evil)were around for any significant amount of time), as a result there was no PVP/deaths and people grew huge as a result.

So what does everyone else think ?

Any thoughts?

Gub
Adventurer

Re: Need for a change

Post by Gub » 21 Feb 2011 05:03

DO - Tank
Neidar - Tank
AA - Tank(?)
Ogre - Solo
DA - Solo
Knights - Solo
Mercenaries - Solo
Glads - Solo
SU - Offensive
Calian - Offensive
Rangers - Specialty
SS - Specialty

I'm not sure how to classify the magic guilds... This is my best guess. Feel free to alter my list to fit your argument. I'll be speaking about the fighter options, not the magic ones.

Mages - Offensive
Priests - Specialty
Psuchae - Specialty

I agree with you Freya, my solution is a simple one, offer more offensive guilds. You can easily achieve this by switching the gladiators into a heavy offensive guild.

By switching the gladiators you decrease the amount of solo guilds and increase the amount of team-dependent guilds. This also helps give evils some options when it comes to creating a team.

Offensive guilds should be rampant in Genesis. You can ALWAYS use another offensive player, however, an additional tank and another "lone wolf" is not always needed.

The way I see it, the game has too many tank and solo guilds and too few offensive guilds. I'm not even speaking about the alignment that comes into play here, and compounds the issue for evil players. Don't just give the players options, give them the right options. Structure the types of guilds from this point of view and you will see more teaming. At this point we've created too many solo free-join options and we've encouraged the masses to do things on their own, why should they team?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 21 Feb 2011 06:06

Some comments:

I dont think the problem with PoTs are their abilities, but as Freya said, the lack of members for the last decade. Will a recode change this? Who knows. However thats is not a balance issue, the evils have a good healing guild there. Its not being used, and basically the wizards cant do much more, the rest is up to the players how to use it. Or not.

Evils can also be minstrels I think, and even if necros dont have healing (I think) they have a runeshield thats a VERY good defensive ability, perhaps better than any heal?

Evils have one very nasty PvP-special. Ogrestomp. Basically the only useful "I am gonna kill you" ability there is. I think that outweighs alot of goodie abilities when in comes to PvP.

Evils also have the MMs and their PvP abilities that surpasses anything the goodies have by far.

Evils in general do have alot of advantages as well. The goblin race as with their nice combat stats, and the ability the kill anything they like giving access to atleast double or more as many grinding areas as goodies. Of course the downside is not beeing able to enter certain areas and do a few quests, but in terms of raw power, evils win here.

So is it unfair? I dont know. I think the evils seem to be bullying around the goodies these days, so it cant be that unfair? When did goodies win over evils in any type of PvP battle lately? if there has been one lately?

Scops are according to themselves neutral in terms of good vs evil and I have seen atleast one of the team up with evils several times.

Oh and Freya, the game is NOT balanced properly, it has never been and mostly likely never will be. it does not hurt trying though. But I think you have to see it from a much larger point of view.

You guys have a bunch of abilities I think goodies would want too.

Who wouldnt like the ability to stun your opponent so they cant escape?

Who would not like to be able to portal or fly yourself and your entire team to and from places very quickly.

Shoudnt there also be a goodie spellcaster guild who can kill just about anyone anytime they like? Scops? Not that I know much of them, but can they really be as powerful in PvP as MMs?

So sure, if evils are to get some nice movebehind/rescu-ish abilities and a couple of more healing guilds. Then I say goodies should get the above mentioned things?

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 21 Feb 2011 06:14

Cherek:

Can you really imagine the outcries if a good MM's Opened? You think its bad now or when Vamps were around... ;-)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 21 Feb 2011 06:36

Greneth wrote:Cherek:

Can you really imagine the outcries if a good MM's Opened? You think its bad now or when Vamps were around... ;-)
I dont think I can imagine it!

But I would rather see the magic guilds properly balanced and I hope they will be.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 21 Feb 2011 08:44

Cherek wrote:I dont think the problem with PoTs are their abilities, but as Freya said, the lack of members for the last decade. Will a recode change this? Who knows. However thats is not a balance issue, the evils have a good healing guild there. Its not being used, and basically the wizards cant do much more, the rest is up to the players how to use it. Or not.
If the problem of the PoT is a leadership issue as Freya mentioned (and I tend to agree), then the players are pretty powerless to change this. Also a recode is unlikely to change that problem.

The issue was brought up with Gorboth once, and it was not deemed a problem. So I don't know what the actual players can do to rectify it. Any ideas?

Still, a time-limit of say...5 years on guildleadership probably wouldn't hurt the game. Hell, you can even say 10 years, and it would still help Krynn out, as it is.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Freya

Post by Freya » 21 Feb 2011 09:14

Greneth,

ehm a guild just like that open years ago, I guess you did not take notice?

Cherek,

I have to ask myself, what game are you playing? Cause it does not seem
that your playing Genesis...

Some remarks on your comments,

Ogres are neutral, not evil.

Saying that a defensive spell is better than healing, well thats just plain ignorant.
Even if I can avoid 50% of all hits, eventually your hp will run out.
Yet if I am healing, I have thousand of hp's extra to spend, thus your arguement
falls short.

I am wondering, have you ever fought a player?

Thinking that ogrestomp is more powerful than block/healing etc, one starts to wonder...

Sure evils can kill more npcs and goblin have good racial settings, does that make up
for the heaps of equipment/quests/areas? I think not.

I do not think anyone is bullying anyone around at all these days, PVP is extinct , nobody
engages in it all all. At the moment evils have a few more active myths than goodies, thats
most likely the bullying your refering to.

Scop is not a neutral guild, if it was, then why do they have an ability to damage evil foes but not goodaligned foes? And just because 1 member of a guild does something does not mean its guild standard.

The matter is not just balance, its about game enjoyment, evil players have no team abilities worth mentioning, while goodies have plenty, it just does not seem like a good game design to me to rob one side of the factions of any teamabilities.

There is no guild that can stun your opponent so they cannot runaway, ogrestomp is a short period of time(not enough to kill anyone above hero I would say).

As for the ability to fly/portal "quickly" well thats not really the case now is it, dragons/portals take minutes to summon and then a couple of minutes for flying, with the new ship system in place dragons are more or less useless(except inside krynn that has not gotten the new ships).
Also there are goodie guilds with the ability to travel quickly as well.

I have to ask, who of the goodies out there would be willing to trade their rescue/heal/move behind for the ability to fly a dragon/teleport/free killing areas(lets not forget out of the top 5 areas in the game, 4 are evilaligned npcs, thus your arguement falls short)or even have a slightly better racial bonus(lets not forget with the heap of dex raising items in the game, dwarves are really not far behind goblins)? Not many I would think, if anyone even.

As for a goodie spellcasting guild who can kill just about anyone, obviously your not familar with the guilds in the game today.

I would gladly trade my dragon and my racial bonuses and the superior grinding grounds for healing/move behind or rescue abilities.

Lets make a list for the fun of things(lists are fun!).

Who are the best(counting evil/goodie guilds) and lets not bother with magic guilds, as they are on a completely level of game balance

Tankers?
Neidars

Healers?
Rangers

Damage dealers?
Calians in team , Knights solo.

PvP abilities
Knights

Looking at that list, I would have to say I do not really see a future where goodies will ask to trade abilities with evil chars at all.

As for guilds stuck with poor leadership, I would say that all guilds need a revolt ability, where the active members of a guild can take over the guild if they feel the current leadership is not doing a good job.

Just look at how poorly knights were run for years due to poor leadership/leader refusing to step down.
Hell its the same reason why PoT have not been able to grow strong, they have a leader who lies to the rest of the guild and who does not share the power whatsoever.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 21 Feb 2011 10:02

Evil gets Dam. Goodies gets skills.. fair enough.. but problems is that when ever evils have gained a slight advantage, they go NUKE goodies. kill for the sake of killing, and then evils get nerfed, because whining to a wizard now is the far easiest thing to do, rather than to go to war.. so guild gets nerfed and people stop playing..

Badguys cant controle the power given to them, See Tarax, killing off every Dagrim even down to adventure size.. thats the grim truth of it all.. people cant controle the power, And when no one gives a flying fuck what a guild commander says, why should they care..? fuck you, im going killing no matter what, because im evil evil evil.. thats why evil get nerfed, and, having Remeko beeing a little punk ass bitch, reporting guilds hes in to wizards.. but thats a different storie..

Nor can good guys controle their powers, Look at hektors former crusades when scops was unkillable. he nuked everything evil.. also down to very very small players..All in the name of RP.. pretty easy when you have the I win button.

thats why we are stuck with this balance crap, because we killed then advantages we had outselves.. Ohhh i have a super dam special. better go smash someone just to prove im an Idiot.. hey only 20 players are online, but fuck it, ill kill off 5 of them just to be a dick, ruin the gameplay of otheres and raise my own geeky selfconfidence... because this world is the only place im really cool..

If people in game had anyform of self controle with the powers they are given, then badguys would still have the edege in dam, goodies would still have the benefits from having skills that rocks. but no.. we cant.. to bad, we all get a balance smack..

Now if people could actually handle it, and respect guild leaders, and play roleplay.. then yes it would be cool to have either more dam or skills. but people play this game to grow, to grow then rp, then growth again.. and the additude with in game has never been lower in some guilds..people just dont care anymore is what i see.. nothing.. no rp between members. if anything I dont like i whine to councils and wizards.

but face it, people cant. AA is so nerfed people join their layman.. its simply the better choise.. I can smash something on DD.. with a SMASHES THE HEAD.. and its still DD. One vs One agains Rangers AA gets the low deal, smack works like pissing in the wind, they can disable smash, wich is extremely pissy and slow aswell. my main damage is my layman gore.. And im not playing the game to make wars, to go grind, to do what ever people say, im there to help a newbie, trying to build a guild.. trying to start smalle just by getting people to place stuff in the racks.. but not even that can people do.. PEOPLE DONT GIVE A FUCK anymore., its XP and GEAR.. and the gear we can just use and fuck up and let some one els repair..

I dont have the selutions, but im trying to restore some guildhood in AA before I finally retire, and leave for good. because fighting or grinding or what ever simply isnt funny anymore either.. You miss 50%+ of your specials, provide no dam, cant really loot cause i cant rent a horse to carry my loot, No one gives a fuck about Middleearth.. so basic my game is the Nline.. Im Uber Idleing.. *yeah yeah flame away* but fact is I am.. im there if anyone needs it in the guild, but otherwhise im already one foot out the door... Like soooo many others are.. but we linger here in some hope that it actually might change.. but it dosnt..

Sure the game changes, we get balanced, there is a main goal in the end, and we get smart toys to play with.. but problem is.. soon no one is left to play with the toys..

And if we change it again. give skills to goodies, healing and such, and good dam to evils.. the abuse starts again..idiots will log on with grudges from years past and go on killing spree´s.. its a lose lose situation..see Bale, he was slayn after a year offline.. and i bet when he returns, some one is going to have a dear grudge on him and go hunt him.. eventually kill him..

I dont know.. even if i make any sense.. just know i agree with most of you, something needs to be done, just dont know how..
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 21 Feb 2011 12:30

To start of... ogres are neutral not evil, I have seen some holy ogres teaming with goodies, its not unheard of just rare.

And knights definately have other specials than damage, rescue for example, high block and if I recall you get some more nifty stuff if yer a rose knight.

Calians arent purely offensive as move behind is a REALLY good defensive special wich makes you able to switch tankers.

The main problem with the PoT is inactive and antisocial leadership that actually encourage both members and applicants not to socialize with other players in the game, wich is weird?

There already is a good MM, or "neutral" guild that are supposed to kill everything thats evil, so how about a goodie guild that can have whatever align they want? SCOP ofc.

Goodies have alot of wild canons aswell, and have had in the past aswell the problem is that the evils are the ones that get the light shined upon them. To name one, Poet and Ahit or whatever the name is, Poets script buddy :P

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 21 Feb 2011 13:33

I'm not sure but I think that the biggest problems evils are facing is themselves.
If you cry about there being so few PoT around to heal people, why don't you change it by joining them?
Gub is mistaken when saying that DA are solo-encouraging guild. They work much better in a team as dragonfear is cumulative (although they don't work too well with teams consisting of non-DA/PoT due to dfear hindering their allies just as much as their enemies).

People are deliberately joining the guilds with the most grind/firepower and freedom so they can do whatever they want and grow easily and then they're crying there's no one around to heal them... Although I have to agree that the current PoT leader has been in this position for far too long and that changing it might revitalize the guild.

On another note, long time ago I've given an idea of a layman guild for DA officers which would let them use combat tactics similar to what the old mercs had (switching tanks, ordering people around etc.).

Edit: It just occured to me what do PoT really need (been a member 4 times with different characters):
Automated task system like Rangers have. It really helps out guilds that are low on members (when I was a Pupil I've met 2 maybe 3 full Rangers during the entire apprenticeship) so that new people don't have to rely on the presence of older members to even begin their journey on the path. It can get quite frustrating when you're forbidden to leave Taman Busuk area and all you get to do is herb in the valley and sewers. Some sort of tasks given out by NPCs where you get to learn the ropes and basic abilities your guild has to offer and increase in ranks as a reward.
I'm not talking about becoming a fully grown PoT like that, just to get you through the initiate stuff, provide you with a few basic spells etc.
You would still need to get your further promotions from full members but at least you would get something to do and not feel despair when your mentor logs in once a week or two just to give you some further instructions via mail.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/