Who List

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Revert Back to the old Who List or stick with the new?

Old
49%
New
51%

Total votes: 47

Greneth

Who List

Post by Greneth » 26 Feb 2011 06:42

Anyone starting to miss the anonymous feeling? Not knowing whose awake making it important to stay attentive in certain areas. Remembering enemies by what they look like? Not knowing who just attacked or kill you?

Dont get me wrong I love the idea of showing people we have active players but this has quite taken a toll on alot of the things I loved about Genesis. I wouldn't dare travel to Haradrims without a big team because I didn't want some mage coming by, now all it takes is a name to check and see if the coast is clear.

I miss having to actually use my resources to figure out who the young elusive human was that just attacked me instead of checking the who list and being able to narrow down the suspects. And in many times people use this info with their seconds that are bigger to hunt you down now.

I miss scrying actually not working because for those people who stuck true and never introduced you couldn't scry them with spells only take a chance with the torques and hope you got lucky. Now you can find anyone in the game you want because everyone is listed.

Or am I just getting to the point where I start rambling off about the good ole days?
Last edited by Greneth on 23 Mar 2011 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ilrahil

Re: Who List

Post by Ilrahil » 26 Feb 2011 11:04

The concept behind it I believe was to make the game attractive to newbies seeing everyone alive.

I was against the change from the start in the sense of less anoynmity. But instead I suggested only newbies would be able to see all members awake, even though this is what the newbie pin should be for.

Having a newbie with the abiity of course would be abused so I'd rather with the newbie help line in place get rid of this feature. Who is it helping at all? THose who don'nt want to do certain areas because they see a member of a guild protecting it is awake. Certainly mad the game less dangerous and kind of made knowing who's torque was who's, and the RMC cub's login feature a bit useless.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 27 Feb 2011 23:01

Interesting ...

Well, this is definitely one of those features that can be adjusted as we discover the effects. If it seems that the cons outweigh the pros, we could easily go back to the old way.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 27 Feb 2011 23:06

Aye, newbie line and 'nlist' should be tools enough for the newbies not to feel alone.
I kinda miss the old ways too, when people actually did join the Cadets and graduate because of the valuable info 'cglist' gave you etc.

Edit: Not to mention the anonymity items like cloaks and stuff.
You meet a shadowy presence and wonder who might it be? 'who' = Hello Hektor!
You see a cloaked hooded half-elf? 'who' = Hello Rhaegar! (I can't pass for Xar or Elita and scare people now T_T)
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 27 Feb 2011 23:53

Rhaegar wrote:I can't pass for Xar
lol...just spilled my coffee.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 28 Feb 2011 01:28

I rather agreed with Greneth and Ilrahil on this one.. as I was quite perplexed by the change when I came back to Genesis. I too found it removed a lot of the mystery from the game.

But.. I also remember having conversations with people about it at the time.. and one of the arguements thrown at me was that there are plenty of people that pop in and out of the game with different characters... possibly newbies (if you changed to have it just read for them)... or would use out of games means talking to other friends on chat to figure the same thing out. So they felt like.. it just was better to leave as it is to equalize it for those who don't have those methods available to them.

And they suggested to me that if I wanted to maintain the mystery for myself.. I should just change my option settings so I wouldn't know who was on if they weren't remembered.

I kind of hear their point.. and I guess I'm now used to the who list the way it is... though it definately defeats the purpose of many items/spells nuances of genesis. One could argue.. If you want to allow people to know who is really on.. perhaps those nuances DO require you to have the person remembered. Like.. you can't send a package to someone from Sybarus without having them in your remembered list. (Which I initially found annoying when my whole remember list got wiped out.. but can understand why its necessary). But then on the flip side.. you have people complaining when they can't send certain messengers to people who arent in their remembered list.

Boils down to you'll never make everyone happy...
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 28 Feb 2011 02:06

Tive wrote:
Glad you enjoyed this little joke ;)

And Kitriana, it's not really possible to pop in and out with another character easily this days. I mean, you could pop in with a newbie to see who's on and quit before logging in as your main, but the other way around (like 'Oh, a mage, I wonder who might that be') is too much effort as you'd have to quit with your main, log in as newbie, quit, log back in, pick up the stuff, travel to and from your guild etc.
If someone would be desperate enough to do so to get a full who list then I have no trouble with that.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 28 Feb 2011 02:35

Rhaegar wrote:
Tive wrote:
Glad you enjoyed this little joke ;)

And Kitriana, it's not really possible to pop in and out with another character easily this days. I mean, you could pop in with a newbie to see who's on and quit before logging in as your main, but the other way around (like 'Oh, a mage, I wonder who might that be') is too much effort as you'd have to quit with your main, log in as newbie, quit, log back in, pick up the stuff, travel to and from your guild etc.
If someone would be desperate enough to do so to get a full who list then I have no trouble with that.
Actually, i enjoy this joke even more.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 28 Feb 2011 02:45

I would actually like to have back the anonymity of the old who list.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 28 Feb 2011 06:55

If this does revert then I'd suggest wiping everyone's memory. Otherwise because of the new system, people hand out the introduction freely because everyone know anyways.

People will probably disagree but only way to start with a clean slate

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/