Who List

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Revert Back to the old Who List or stick with the new?

Old
49%
New
51%

Total votes: 47

Booger
Veteran

Re: Who List

Post by Booger » 21 Apr 2011 10:48

Again, is there any drawback with my suggestion (page 5, top), or would that be an acceptable solution for everyone?

I'd like to add a suggestion to this as well:
Make a midbie/highbie quest, with the reward being that you get a one-time possibility to be forgotten by everyone. High enough that you should be acquainted with the game before you can solve it, and be able to understand the pros and cons of being unknown.
This way everyone will be able to become incognito again, if they so chose. And new players who might regret introducing themselves once they've learned the game, will also get the same option. Once!
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 21 Apr 2011 15:07

Booger: I still think its better new people see more people awake. However, if we say.. double our playerbase, then I think you suggestion is a good one.

Bur for now, and especially during a future promotion, I think its better everyone is visible.

Thats what I think.

The forget-me quest sounds interesting... if we get more players and change the way the who-list works again.

Strider
Adept

Post by Strider » 21 Apr 2011 21:28

Booger wrote:This way everyone will be able to become incognito again, if they so chose. And new players who might regret introducing themselves once they've learned the game, will also get the same option. Once!
That's an intriguing idea and has some interesting possibilities for mythos and consequences.

Still, and please note that I like the intro/unknown system, at some point titles like legend and to a greater extent, myth, imply a certain notoriety and identifiability. That this could play out in game mechanics where players of a certain size are unavoidably in the who list, or that more information about them appears there, perhaps including unmet descriptions, or even that they are automatically known, is also worth contemplation.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 22 Apr 2011 02:15

Booger wrote:Again, is there any drawback with my suggestion (page 5, top), or would that be an acceptable solution for everyone?

I'd like to add a suggestion to this as well:
Make a midbie/highbie quest, with the reward being that you get a one-time possibility to be forgotten by everyone. High enough that you should be acquainted with the game before you can solve it, and be able to understand the pros and cons of being unknown.
This way everyone will be able to become incognito again, if they so chose. And new players who might regret introducing themselves once they've learned the game, will also get the same option. Once!
Ive mentioned this to Gorboth a while ago but I never heard back on it.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 22 Apr 2011 20:10

Cherek wrote:Booger: I still think its better new people see more people awake. However, if we say.. double our playerbase, then I think you suggestion is a good one.

Bur for now, and especially during a future promotion, I think its better everyone is visible.

Thats what I think.

The forget-me quest sounds interesting... if we get more players and change the way the who-list works again.
This is exactly how I feel. Once we build the playerbase up to where we feel it should be, then we can ease off on some of the current choices we have felt are necessary, and perhaps return to a more incognito-friendly setup.

For now, we focus on the new players we hope to attract and retain.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 22 Apr 2011 20:36

gorboth wrote:[
For now, we focus on the new players we hope to attract and retain.

G.

So there is a plan on promoting the game? When?
This year? Or maybe next one? When the guild updates finish(as I said somewhere else, I don't think it will ever finish. There is always some other project, newer and more exciting)? When is that?

Anahita
Adventurer

Post by Anahita » 24 Jun 2011 00:46

I agree with the concern about the lack of anonymity (hard to surprise someone if everyone knows you are awake) but it was already hard to be anonymis under the old system.

The RMC trade-off for a decent "purse" is that your logging in is announced to everyone the second you wake up. Some clubs, most racial guilds, etc show you in a list. Not that hard to put a sleeper in the Dunedain to check for Umarth / Thalion...

To me, the only benefits of the new Who are for newbies / lowbies, and the newbie helper system should cover that for people who don't mind opting-in to being public. So, why not amend the who list to only show unknown people who have their newbie helper turned on?

I dont buy the guild-mentor benefit. I appreciate the frustration that applicants feel in catching up to mentors, but this seems to only enable mentors to be lazy about making appointments or waking up at a predictable time to do their jobs. Don't we all want new blood?

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 24 Jun 2011 08:38

Anahita wrote:I agree with the concern about the lack of anonymity (hard to surprise someone if everyone knows you are awake) but it was already hard to be anonymis under the old system.

The RMC trade-off for a decent "purse" is that your logging in is announced to everyone the second you wake up. Some clubs, most racial guilds, etc show you in a list. Not that hard to put a sleeper in the Dunedain to check for Umarth / Thalion...

To me, the only benefits of the new Who are for newbies / lowbies, and the newbie helper system should cover that for people who don't mind opting-in to being public. So, why not amend the who list to only show unknown people who have their newbie helper turned on?

I dont buy the guild-mentor benefit. I appreciate the frustration that applicants feel in catching up to mentors, but this seems to only enable mentors to be lazy about making appointments or waking up at a predictable time to do their jobs. Don't we all want new blood?
In a MUD that is free-for-all PvP, you want to punish people who want to help newbies, by making ONLY their names visible to all?
That's completely backward.

Also it seems you forgot that playing a computergame is not a job.
Ofcourse real life also takes priority in all instances, so it can be extremely difficult for some to predict with certainty when you can or cannot log in to the game. Doing their job or being lazy has little to do with it.

Before many, many players knew who was logged in anyways, through spies/seconds, out-of-game instant messengers, Wiz-friends or other methods.
Now it's just more fair for those without the out-of-game network to provide the same service.

In addition the game feels less empty with the new system, and you might actually spot a name on the list, that you once knew, but didn't have in your remember anymore - because you had to remember all your enemies instead of your friends with the previous who list system.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 24 Jun 2011 09:39

to put it into wording of the article that Strider linked us to:
explorers surely don't mind the "new" who list, because what reason they would have to dislike it?
socializers surely enjoy the "new" who list, cause it gives them more options to socialize
achievers (and this is the group I feel myself being part of) surely don't mind the "new" who list, cause it doesn't bring any drawbacks

so who has an issue with the "new" who list now and for what reasons?

Makfly pointed to the positive aspects of it already

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 24 Jun 2011 17:22

There are tons of reasons go back and read the thread.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/