"Protected Areas"

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Celephias
Expert

Re: "Protected Areas"

Post by Celephias » 20 Jun 2011 03:20

I think the possible tension it creates in the game is a good thing and that it adds to the richness of the game, so long as it is backed by reasonable rationale and RP. That being said, I have yet to outright attack anyone for fighting with 'protected NPCs'. The exception would be a guild NPC, in which case I would most likely assist directly, though this scenario hasn't come up for me.

Using NPC protection at as an excuse for PvP is pretty shallow IMHO. Players can opt not to hunt where NPCs are protected as well, though. I know if I am fighting with protected NPCs I am always looking over my shoulder.

As for what I would term as 'random protection' (e.g. I am a goblin therefore I protect all goblins) - that's just silly and isn't backed by any rational RP.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 20 Jun 2011 04:16

The point is interesting though. If a guild is "protecting" npc's due to roleplay or unwritten rules, then should they really be grinding there as well?

-B

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 20 Jun 2011 04:31

A fair point Bromen and I believe that was one of Zestana's main points as well.

I would say that no, they shouldn't be grinding there. I'm admittedly splitting hairs on how one defines grinding. For me, grinding means that they are NPCs that you basically kill whenever they are alive. I'm going for exp, and I need things to kill. The NPCs I grind on are in my 'cycle'. Personally, the NPCs I would protect are not in the my cycle. They are also not in any of my guildmates cycles. I'll add my voice to the whine about needing more grinding areas in ME for evils though. I would much prefer to hunt in character than to run off to whack some RP irrelevant creatures in other parts of the world.

That being said, do we hunt there? We definitely do. Do we keep other players from hunting there so we can have a hunting ground when we (or our designees) want it? No. Our motivation for protecting them is RP-based. There are times when the King will forbid any training and at that time, they never are hunted by us (or anyone else for that matter).

So, the assertion that we protect them to have a hunting ground absent competition is false. Whether or not the concept of protected NPCs overall is good or bad I think we can still debate - I believe its good for the game.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 20 Jun 2011 05:42

Celephias your reponse is a sound one to hear. I think that everyone should take a leaf out of your book in terms of RP just to the point of sticking to character. You do it amazingly well.

That being said your post had absolutely no flaws unlike Kas's did in regards to protecting. You understand the logistics behind the argument and offer valid reasons behind when you do and don't hunt those foes. I have run across mages fighting there strictly as i can only assume for XP. They could take 2-3 approaches.

Scenario 1: I am given permission by my guild leader (in the case of haradrims the King of Minas Morgul) so I will do it if I want to.

Scenario 2: I have permission to kill here but as I protect my guild areas I choose not to, but instead patrol the grounds from a RP perspective simply designed to encourage interaction, promote my obvious dominance over that mere mortal who is crossing a boundary and attacking the soldiers who have sworn allegiance to us.

Scenario 3: I am killing here while I have permission to prevent my enemies from gaining any growth that they might seek to utilize against me.

I appreicate your note in regards to the question I actually posed as opposed to the one that Kas put in stead of the words I had originally wrote. It shows in my opinion that you have a clear regulated pattern of what you do in game and why, and do not change your RP on a whim to gain those extra points experience wise.

I think as far as I have seen so far that the game needs more RP interaction as opposed to grinding but you show a fair point in your concept of "grinding cycles" as you put it. For yourself with limited options in Middle Earth you must expand your circles outside of that realm. I've heard a lot about the powerplayers in Genesis, but so far I have met an extremely solid core of Roleplayers. A shoutout to Alorrana, Celephias, Hektor, Kitriana, Iliana, Armitace and Nomm amongst others in this aspect. I think that while from what Ive read on the boards in Genesis, it seems split 50/50 in regards to adding more mortal levels.... but with a solid group of roleplayers if the trend continues and more begin to do this the idea of adding more solid grinding areas in certain domains to support guild lore would be good.

Cons to this would of course be the fact that if there are more grinding areas in Middle Earth we might never see mages leave it other than to find Fluffy camped outside the green dragon. This is definitely a negative, but it might also at the same point make the playerbase seem more alive.

Just some food for thoughts.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 20 Jun 2011 09:54

Small question:
How killing someone can be called training?

"What that doesn't kill me, makes me stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche.
But You actually do kill :)

If You want to train your troops, get them to "barely alive" and then stop combat.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Jun 2011 10:59

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Suvorov
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarium_%28Suvorov%29

In this book you can read up how Spetsnaz "trained" on "dummies/puppets".

So yeah, well - those "dummies" were under USSR/Stalin jurisdiction and any external hostile action against them would be gladly used to excuse an offensive (defence -> pre-emptive strikes -> offence) action on the external source. However internally (within USSR) it was something different - Spetsnaz was allowed to "train".
If we compare AA/KoT to Spetsnaz and Sauron/Takhisis to Stalin we'll get there ... tho I'm quite sure I wouldn't like to follow such an example. USSR/Stalin/Spetsnaz I mean.

Just a sidenote on the "training", "excuses", approach and who is the "trained one" in this setup.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 20 Jun 2011 12:58

Celephias wrote: So, the assertion that we protect them to have a hunting ground absent competition is false. Whether or not the concept of protected NPCs overall is good or bad I think we can still debate - I believe its good for the game.
This.

It never had anything about isolating the grinder/xp at all, but about thematics/rp (AND to hopefully create some small skirmishes/conflicts in one of the dangerous places in the game).

For the record, Kas never grind Haradrims for reasons mentioned above.
Last edited by Kas on 20 Jun 2011 13:36, edited 4 times in total.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Jun 2011 13:15

OgreToyBoy wrote:There are a very few who is attacked on sight at Haradrims and most who are caught will get a fair warning, even Laurel, before the shield comes whacking.
you were surprised to see sand comming your way there ;)
on the other hand - MMs usually used invis to stalk and BB (sometimes double BB) Laurel :roll:

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 20 Jun 2011 15:34

Laurel wrote:
OgreToyBoy wrote:There are a very few who is attacked on sight at Haradrims and most who are caught will get a fair warning, even Laurel, before the shield comes whacking.
you were surprised to see sand comming your way there ;)
on the other hand - MMs usually used invis to stalk and BB (sometimes double BB) Laurel :roll:
To bad that sand didn't help one bit in the fight :P

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Jun 2011 16:04

True - now be a good cow and go die from some cow-disease :twisted: some http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_spo ... phalopathy or whatever the cow'ish equivalent for Black Breath would be :twisted:
Next time Laurel should be more prepared ... I think ... :?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/