Deconstruction of the never-ending MMORPG

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Re: Deconstruction of the never-ending MMORPG

Post by Rhaegar » 03 Nov 2011 19:38

One of the reasons why I set my triggers to wait a couple of seconds after receiving the stunned message before retrying (although usually you're informed that the stun is over by in-game text and can make triggers match that instead, I think I'm using the mixture of both).

There are few things I hate more than spam.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 03 Nov 2011 20:17

Why not change the whole idea of xp and grinding. Make stupid grinding useless, you shouldn't learn from killing the same orc/troll/elf 1000 times. Lower that kind for xp.
Instead make it so you get a lot more xp against "bosses". I would like to see that you get a slight prog from ONE kill only, but to get that kill you might have to collect a team of 3 or 4 people from different teams or different specializations, plan the tactics, slay the guards and then attack the boss and still have the chance of death. That kill took you one hour or more to plan and execute, a lot more fun hour then any stupid grinding hour.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 03 Nov 2011 21:00

arcon wrote:Why not change the whole idea of xp and grinding. Make stupid grinding useless, you shouldn't learn from killing the same orc/troll/elf 1000 times. Lower that kind for xp.
Instead make it so you get a lot more xp against "bosses". I would like to see that you get a slight prog from ONE kill only, but to get that kill you might have to collect a team of 3 or 4 people from different teams or different specializations, plan the tactics, slay the guards and then attack the boss and still have the chance of death. That kill took you one hour or more to plan and execute, a lot more fun hour then any stupid grinding hour.
So when a mage go solo that same boss he get nice progress for a few seconds work?

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 03 Nov 2011 21:33

Of course not, no one should be able to kill them alone. As I said, you should need a mixed team.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 03 Nov 2011 22:21

Those who love to grind should get something too in my opinion. Some other forms of reward instead of xp. I know that there are enchantments now but perhaps something like extra titles, repeatable grind quests that give you cool gear etc.
Just to make it a bit more mindless or becoming a grind for the sake of grind and just growing bigger.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 03 Nov 2011 22:30

Rhaegar wrote:Those who love to grind should get something too in my opinion. Some other forms of reward instead of xp. I know that there are enchantments now but perhaps something like extra titles, repeatable grind quests that give you cool gear etc.
Just to make it a bit more mindless or becoming a grind for the sake of grind and just growing bigger.

Why? When did the game reward roleplayers or other people that don't like to grind? Given them any extra titles? Abilities to kill grinders easier? Cool items? The game has done NOTHING for them. Genesis has punished the people that don't want to grind. And that is what has destroyed Genesis.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 03 Nov 2011 22:38

Hey, you got your Torque? Zodiac Gem? Access to various areas? Lower brutality? Feeling of being smart after finding out how to solve the quest?

Please stop bullshitting yourself about people doing quests not getting any rewards for it. What killed Genesis was lack of stat cap many years ago which allowed people to mindlessly grind the game into submission.

Edit: There was one more thing that played a major part. I'm sorry to say that but I think it was admins' failure to address the issues as soon as they showed up, allowing exploits and undesired things to happen for extended periods of time which made many problems worse. There were a couple of temporary solutions that didn't really cut it and some final solutions that aren't all that great.

I'll use Demonsgate MUD here for comparison: When one of the mages started singlehandedly raiding guilds, exploiting the huge healing and mana herb supply he gathered, it took maybe a week for herbs to be nerfed so that the more you consumed the less effect they had on you.
How long did it take on gen to fix the 'insta heal' herb issue?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 04 Nov 2011 03:36

Stop being a twit Rhaegar.
I played Demonsgate for a while.
And compared to genesis it pretty much sucked.

Also Arcon never mentioned questing.. He mentioned ROLEPLAYING.
And no, genesis has never rewarded that in any way.

Now stop draging things that has nothing with the matter to do into the conversation or shut up
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 04 Nov 2011 11:31

arcon wrote:Why not change the whole idea of xp and grinding. Make stupid grinding useless, you shouldn't learn from killing the same orc/troll/elf 1000 times. Lower that kind for xp.
Hello ??? wanna get 20 of the playerbase to leave ???
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 04 Nov 2011 11:40

arcon wrote:
Rhaegar wrote:Those who love to grind should get something too in my opinion. Some other forms of reward instead of xp. I know that there are enchantments now but perhaps something like extra titles, repeatable grind quests that give you cool gear etc.

Why? When did the game reward roleplayers or other people that don't like to grind? Given them any extra titles? Abilities to kill grinders easier? Cool items? The game has done NOTHING for them. Genesis has punished the people that don't want to grind. And that is what has destroyed Genesis.
I don't agree with you. The mud semi died when all the MMORPG graphical ones was launched. The mud has not punished people that wanna RP and don't grind. The mud has to make sure that every kind of player is stimulated.. If you wanna be a RP be a RP, if you wanna be a Powergrinder, then be one .. or explorer.. socializer.. whatever..
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/