How many of you hate doings quests ?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Would you restart in Genesis if you had to do all your quests?

YES
40%
NO
60%

Total votes: 43

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: How many of you hate doings quests ?

Post by Cherek » 06 Dec 2011 00:38

Uther:
Obviously it would be better if we had more players, and its too bad if there are people who dont play because they have to quest again. On the other hand, its impossible to please every player.

Me personally, I would much rather re-do the quests ten times instead of re-doing all the grinding needed for a new char of a decent size. That is what really keep me from restarting again. How do we please me and those like me?

Those you speak, what is it they would like? What would be the solution to make them come back?

Share quest XP with all your chars? Share all XP? Namechange ability? Quest XP removed (there is only XP and nothing else)?

And for the record, very few have done all quests I think, or ever will. Nor do you have to do all quests in current Genesis, like Hektor said. Not even half I think. Probably much less, depending on how "big" you feel you need to be, and how much grinding you are willing to do.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 06 Dec 2011 08:46

Cherek wrote:Probably much less, depending on how "big" you feel you need to be, and how much grinding you are willing to do.
The problem is, that it's not how big YOU feel you need to be - It's how big the other players already are.
Genesis is a FFA PvP game that encourages conflict, in such a game environment, size matters alot.
Endless growth + FFA PvP probably isn't the most healthy combination for a game setup, but that's what we have, and the players act accordingly.

About this poll, I basically just answered the question in the thread title - How many of you hate doing quests?
To which I, not surprisingly, answered that I do hate doing quests.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Althyrian
Apprentice

Post by Althyrian » 06 Dec 2011 13:17

Makfly wrote:The problem is, that it's not how big YOU feel you need to be - It's how big the other players already are.
Genesis is a FFA PvP game that encourages conflict, in such a game environment, size matters alot.
Endless growth + FFA PvP probably isn't the most healthy combination for a game setup, but that's what we have, and the players act accordingly.
Yup.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 Dec 2011 00:47

I answered Yes I hate em.
But that is not really true.
Its more I hate not having reached the quest exp cap so I grow slower than those who have reached it.
(GREAT that there is a cap these days and OLD players with crazy high quest exp no longer have an advantage over anyone else)
(Hope the cap ignores the tutori isle quest exp amount since it not open to all)

Quests threads like the Zodiac and Crystal torque were definitely gameplay enriching experiences.

I have done a lot of quests but when the orbs arrived realised I still have a bunch.
(I was one of the ones who asked for those orbs and it is GREAT to see them here)
But had been for years in a no quest mode that it is hard to switch back into wondering around for hours and getting stuck on syntax or hard bits.

It is my hope that the site http://genesisquests.pbworks.com will take off and maybe be linked to from the homepage to act more like our eldar scrolls quest journal companion and make quests fun again with everyone helping each other.

So the answer should have been I love quests hate brute inequality.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 22 Jan 2012 07:32

I messed up. I voted no when I wanted to vote yes. So .. the count is wrong.
I love doing quests!!! Except for that bloody Ferret One in Sanction.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Creed

Post by Creed » 22 Jan 2012 17:54

With all the other games available today, I don't think I would ever consider trying it out.
If all I ever played before had been big MMO's or other grand graphical games, I seriously doubt a text game would every draw so much as an inch of my attention.

And, knowing how long it took me with all the quests, and considering I did most of them 3-5 times with different characters, I really don't think I could be arsed to do it all over once again.
It was fun back then, but if it happened that there was a complete reset, I would just go away and never return.
At the moment I am at the "go away" part.. and as I see it "never return" is likely to be my next step.
Just isn't enough people or roleplay or interaction enough to draw me back.

And I guess there are many others than me who feel the same.
But that is just a guess.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Jan 2012 19:05

Creed: The game needs to new players. Its a simple as that. No matter if we have quests or not, no matter how fun the game is, people eventually move on to try new things. Its actually pretty amazing we managed to keep the game going without getting more than a handful new players for a decade.

I doubt many games have such a loyal playerbase.

And I dont think the "text" part is the problem. There are other muds who manage to attract new players. So the concept of text games are not lost. Its just that people dont know we exist.

I dont believe in changing the game to keep old players. Most of us have been around for 10+ years and dont wanna redo all the quests. Thats understandable. But I dont think its really the quests that are the problem, or lack of grinding areas for huge players, or anything else. I think we could change everything and people would still leave because they are simply bored with the game as a whole. The only thing that could keep it interesting I think, is if we got new players, and got the RP, PVP, politics and general interaction part going again. That game itself and its content can never keep players interested for a long period of time. Only other players can do that.

Creed

Post by Creed » 22 Jan 2012 23:18

I also play another old game. Dark Age of Camelot.
Its been around since 2001, and I have played it on and off since then, just as I have with Genesis.
But that game still keeps me attracted, since it has an endgame that differs from the rest of the game.

You reach lvl 50, which is maximum, and then you either hunt for gold and better equipment (as in all MMO's), or you go playerfighting against the other 2 realms, to gain bonuses for your own realm.
What differs Genesis from DAoC, is that I am much more attached to my Genesis characters, and don't dare to do anything in case I end up dying, since the blow would be too much for me.

I think Genesis could be a really cool and awesome pvp game, if there was a set maximum stat-number (meaning that all your stats together couldn't get past 1020, for example, and then you could have whatever racial bonuses that changed how good you were in each stat. Like in the MMO's.
It would also need to change more towards the MMO style, in the way that you shouldn't really lose any significant xp when killed in pvp, but letting it be enough with losing the equipment.

That way you would encourage pvp, as all MMO's do it, with great effect. And you would make people more interested in enforcing their different roleplays, killing people who offended them, or declaring war here or there.

It might be that I am the only one that worries for the like of my character, but it would take things like those mentioned above, or a setup where I could totally avoid pvp, by declaring myself retired from physical duties as a knight (or whatever), to make me wanting to return.

I very much enjoyed playing Genesis for many years, and I might have enjoyed it yet, had it not been for the fact that half the time I met people in game, they were not really paying any attention, or just running along on a script or as a bot in a team. In an MMO I am at least sure there is someone paying attention, if they are moving.
And Genesis turned too much into a race where people just wanted the most time played, the biggest stats and the highest guild title. The spark had left the building, at least in my eyes.

But but.. I have hijacked this thread, and for that I apologize.
Please return to quests as you were going on about, thank you :)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 22 Jan 2012 23:52

Creed wrote:if there was a set maximum stat-number (meaning that all your stats together couldn't get past 1020, for example, and then you could have whatever racial bonuses that changed how good you were in each stat. Like in the MMO's.
that's already in place
it may be a _soft_ cap, but the way it works is hardly "soft" - those who reached it, can surely tell you ...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 23 Jan 2012 01:00

I agree with the things you wrote Creed. However at Genesis peak we had that type of "endgame" (when you reached champ). Even with harsher death penalties. I wonder why it worked then and not now?

Sorry, now I am hijacking too. Any moderator, feel free to split the topic. I think what Creed wrote, and my above question is an interesting topic though and worth discussing.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/