New potential feature: please vote

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the <combatshare> feature be implemented in Genesis?

Yes.
43%
No.
57%

Total votes: 37

Draugor
Myth

Re: New potential feature: please vote

Post by Draugor » 31 Aug 2012 20:59

gorboth wrote:
Draugor wrote:Scripting imo is not to bad as long as you're responsive and doesent miss stuff like stealing peoples kills etc..
Consider these two cases:
  • Player A: Fully automated bot. Runs into rooms, steals kills, doesn't respond to player protests, moves on. Wizard checks on them, no response.
  • Player B: Player watching the screen running scripts. Runs into rooms, steals kills, doesn't respond to player protests, moves on. Wizard checks on them, they respond.
The only difference between the two cases is that the latter responds to a wizard to prove they are watching the screen.

Are we saying that player B is welcome, and player A should be deleted? Please explain your rationale.

G.

Because there is an actuall player behind B, someone is actually taking the time to sit there and play.
Just botting while beeing 100% away is just retarded.

But sure, remove them completely, wont matter to me as I dont script

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 31 Aug 2012 21:03

Laurel wrote:
gorboth wrote:Please explain your rationale.

G.
Draugor is allowed to script, Irk is not. Period. :lol:

Aaaw, someone mad cause I am trying to get his favourite robot deleted?

Enter a room and try to communicate with me at any time when I am killing and moving around, I guarantee that I will respond.
The most "bot like" behaviour I ever do is enter a room, and go afk if something comes up, but that also means that I will be standing still once I have killed whatever I was killing untill I get back and actually move it along.

The only time I use a script is when herbing, and even then I am keeping an eye on the screen so that I dont enter a room and steam someones herbs or in any way fuck someone else over.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 31 Aug 2012 21:08

Draugor wrote:
Laurel wrote:
gorboth wrote:Please explain your rationale.

G.
Draugor is allowed to script, Irk is not. Period. :lol:

Aaaw, someone mad cause I am trying to get his favourite robot deleted?

Enter a room and try to communicate with me at any time when I am killing and moving around, I guarantee that I will respond.
The most "bot like" behaviour I ever do is enter a room, and go afk if something comes up, but that also means that I will be standing still once I have killed whatever I was killing untill I get back and actually move it along.

The only time I use a script is when herbing, and even then I am keeping an eye on the screen so that I dont enter a room and steam someones herbs or in any way fuck someone else over.
No matter if you keep an eye on the screen or not there will always be people who say you aren't.
I'm pretty sure Irk is rensponsive to wizards, he was to me when i send him squirrels and other messengers.
Your version of bot behaviour is enough for some of the more retarded characters. At least if they are
itching for an excuse to attack you ;)

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 31 Aug 2012 21:11

If anyone wants to attack me, bring it.

Didnt you get the letter? You dont need an excuse in the game to attack someone, just have at it.

And I am QUITE sure that the bot in question has been busted for botting atleast once before.
The fact that he brags about it is just confirmation tho :P

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 01 Sep 2012 16:07

gorboth wrote:
arcon wrote:
OgreToyBoy wrote:
My solution is simply to prohibit scripts, solves a lot of issues and much easier to catch the automated players.
Yes, even herb scripts.

I agree 100%!
What is your definition of a script?
How do you go about policing such a ban?
Maybe I'll create a new poll about this one.

G.
I think definition should be:
Moving from one room to another as a result of trigger.

Exceptions:
boarding ships, dragons.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 02 Sep 2012 11:42

I voted 'no' because I never had a problem with a bot stealing my kills and if someone will in the future it will just be a good reason to hunt him down :twisted:

However, I have nothing against implementing it for a week or so and to see how it goes...

Megarius
Apprentice

Post by Megarius » 27 Sep 2012 21:41

I like this idea. +1

Megarius
Apprentice

Post by Megarius » 27 Sep 2012 21:50

OgreToyBoy wrote:If you allow scripts you can't have a test that checks if you are using a script.
Easiest way to remove any doubt is to remove the scripts.
As long as they are allowed people will use them and claim they sit in front of the computer
100% of the time it runs. Should they get caught it was because they had to rush to the toilet
due to some attack diarrea.
Its easy to do "File - Disconnect", before your diarrhea attack. Control question check is much better. Anything that moves player from one room to another on autopilot for extended period of time - IS botting.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 10 Nov 2012 02:11

I'm in favor of everything that makes it harder for bots to do things.

And it's just a positive side effect if it makes "kill-stealing as a form of aggression" impossible.
Genesis is still a roleplaying game, that's why the enemies are called things like "trolls" and "draconians" and not "xpunit1" and xpunit2". So aggression should be attacking someone, poisoning them, blinding them or messing them up in some other way. Not helping them kill their enemies - in a roleplaying game that's called doing someone a favor.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 10 Nov 2012 09:34

I voted no on that. This not only adds unnecessary complications and limits possibilities - why wouldn't KS'ing be a viable tactic? Perhaps someone in a stealthy guild would want to shadow a player and steal their kills, seems like something a Trickster would do. It might also lead to rare occasions of frustration, imagine this example:

You enter the room and see small player, extremely exhausted, burdened or for whatever reason unable to leave the room, in combat with an npc who is about to kill them. Without this feature you can simply attack and kill this npc in a moment, with this feature you would have to wait for panicked player's reaction first, which could lead to his death because of unnecessary feature.

Having to petition other players to be able to do basic stuff is kind of stupid in my opinion. The proper way to handle bot-grinders is for people who notice them to contact said bot's enemies and set up a gank.

Player vs player issues shouldn't be handled by the game but by the players themselves. Especially that such a thing wouldn't ever stop people from botting. They can always log in at weird times, like 5-6AM CET, when there's 5-7 players in the game and very little chance of running into others.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/