New potential feature: please vote

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the <combatshare> feature be implemented in Genesis?

Yes.
43%
No.
57%

Total votes: 37

Archie
Apprentice

Re: New potential feature: please vote

Post by Archie » 30 Aug 2012 21:20

OgreToyBoy wrote:Can't do a test like that and allow scripts.
Please elaborate.

Why would scripts (with an active player) break a test of that kind?

I assume you are referring to the fact that people (even if active) script whole areas to do battle instead of moving from fight to fight on their own?

Archie

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 30 Aug 2012 21:25

If you allow scripts you can't have a test that checks if you are using a script.
Easiest way to remove any doubt is to remove the scripts.
As long as they are allowed people will use them and claim they sit in front of the computer
100% of the time it runs. Should they get caught it was because they had to rush to the toilet
due to some attack diarrea.

Archie
Apprentice

Post by Archie » 30 Aug 2012 21:31

But we are not testing scripts.

We are testing for botters.

An active player with a script will react when things are odd.

A botter will not.

The wizard can do it say 10 times (i.e. ten consecutive rooms/fights) to really make sure that the person is not reacting. I have a hard time seeing an active player (even with scripts) entering a room with say four-five opponents only to see their script move them to the next room just because a wiz removed all the opponents.

There might be ways around it, for example the botter can then probably add some sort of average fighting time for a certain type of enemy and if the kills (i.e. no opponents left) come too fast something is amiss, but this is kind of like criminals and police.

Criminals come up with new ways of getting away with breaking the law, the police try to plug the holes. Endless battle.

The question is if it is worth doing anything about it due to the state of the game today. By Gorboth's (and an amount of players) statements it is.
By other players (and perhaps some wizard I have missed) it probably isn't.

So how far do we go to try to catch the botters? Note that I have not even touched upon the subject of what kind of punishment you should give them.

Lastly, if you think my idea might not work, do you have something in that vicinity that might?

Archie

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 30 Aug 2012 21:38

When a room is empty or no opponents are present any normal script fires up to bring them to next room.
With a lot of spam no player will sit and watch as the script kills through 100's of rooms, one or two
anomalies will scroll by in the blink of an eye.

My solution is simply to prohibit scripts, solves a lot of issues and much easier to catch the automated players.
Yes, even herb scripts.

Also punish the griefer, the all is allowed excuse is really getting old. Are a few players who through their
actions made many others leave due to the 5 on 1 mob mentality of said players.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 30 Aug 2012 21:58

OgreToyBoy wrote:
My solution is simply to prohibit scripts, solves a lot of issues and much easier to catch the automated players.
Yes, even herb scripts.

I agree 100%!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 30 Aug 2012 22:02

arcon wrote:
OgreToyBoy wrote:
Yes, even herb scripts.

I agree 100%!
What is your definition of a script?
How do you go about policing such a ban?
Maybe I'll create a new poll about this one.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 31 Aug 2012 17:03

Why many people say script=bot is because most people who use kill/herb scripts
are really not paying attention. Like this example of my first work of a long string of
commands that made me kill pretty much all of the small stuff in kabal without needing to
even watch the screen. I'ts pure basic and there are much better scripts out there,
combine it with other triggers and common commands in your client and you will
pay attention when it matters.

If you allow silly scripts like this then you won't be able to catch any but the people
who fire up a script and go to work. My personal opinion is that loading a script and do
anything that makes you play the game automated makes you a bot, yes by this definition
I sure as hell was a bot. Won't catch the afk-trigger-teammates with this solution but
with no afk leader there wont be any afk followers.

A speedwalk is not a script or bot behaviour as once you arrived you need new input.
Attachments
kaballong.txt
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 31 Aug 2012 19:38

Scripting aint botting, scripts are when someone uses a script to move but still stays attentive just because he/she doesent like the moving around etc all the time.
A bot is someone thats fully automated and doesent respond to wizards or players, be in moving around on a script or following in someones team with only triggers while, sleeping, working or beeing afk in general and not attentive.

Scripting imo is not to bad as long as you're responsive and doesent miss stuff like stealing peoples kills etc.

Some of our more reknown botters on the other hand have had scripts running while they where working, sleeping or like it and thus have grown to insane sizes, that sort of behaviour should be exterminated.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 31 Aug 2012 20:36

Draugor wrote:Scripting imo is not to bad as long as you're responsive and doesent miss stuff like stealing peoples kills etc..
Consider these two cases:
  • Player A: Fully automated bot. Runs into rooms, steals kills, doesn't respond to player protests, moves on. Wizard checks on them, no response.
  • Player B: Player watching the screen running scripts. Runs into rooms, steals kills, doesn't respond to player protests, moves on. Wizard checks on them, they respond.
The only difference between the two cases is that the latter responds to a wizard to prove they are watching the screen.

Are we saying that player B is welcome, and player A should be deleted? Please explain your rationale.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 31 Aug 2012 20:42

gorboth wrote:Please explain your rationale.

G.
Draugor is allowed to script, Irk is not. Period. :lol:

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/