Banning all scripts

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should scripting of any kind simply be banned to solve the botting issue?

Yes.
40%
No.
60%

Total votes: 45

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Banning all scripts

Post by gorboth » 31 Aug 2012 22:37

Irk wrote:attacked you when botting? so who is BS :P

i steal kills, kills were stolen from me, and so what? i dont care much about it and dont whine on forum or to wizies about it.

according to rules I am not botting and unfortunately for Draugor wizies always can speak with me.

I was botting many years ago, but after punishment from Stern, what Darugor mentioned here, I stopped doing this.

However for me you can think whatever you want, I dont care :)
Because Irk brought this up, I'm willing to verify it. Whenever I bug Irk to test his bot status, he responds very quickly. So, Draugor, by our current measure, Irk is not botting.

I'll ask again ... is our current rubric what we want to use?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 01 Sep 2012 16:37

As I already said in another thread:
Moving from one room to another as result of trigger should be forbidden

With some exceptions like boarding ships or dismounting dragons.

This rule will forbid herb scripting and area steppers.
Which are the most annoying botting activities.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 01 Sep 2012 19:13

zar wrote:As I already said in another thread:

I think your idea is good. That's the only idea I've been able to think of, that could be a hard boundary for what should be legal vs illegal.

If the game needs a clear-cut answer to what's allowed and what isn't, that may be the best bet so far. Maybe someone else can come up with ideas of a better one, or at least say why that one isn't good.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 Sep 2012 19:24

zar wrote:As I already said in another thread:

Zar: Actually instead of banning herb scripting I'd rather see the Gardeners have some type of auto herb feature. That way it will at least be fair, and not a big advantage for those who know how to script. I really doubt many people enjoy manually walking through the same areas typing "search here for herbs" thousands of times. Forcing people to do things they dont like will do absolutely nothing good i think. If its fun, people are active. If its not, they either dont do it, or script it.

I mean, if I play a game of Starcraft I do because its fun. If it was possible to bot Starcraft I still would not because then I am missing out on the fun. Some tasks in Genesis, especially herbing and smithing, are repetitive and for most people pretty boring. The fun part is that you become a better smith and gain more herbs, but the actual task isnt very fun. Like Cotillion said before, I too rather think we should try to see how we can make these tasks less boring by providing in game what some scripts do. And, we could even try to make the Genesis type of "autoherb" a little more interactive, but also more rewarding, than your own script. Then we both make herbing a little bit more fun, make it fair to everyone, and turn some herb botters into at least semi-active herb scripters.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Sep 2012 19:41

For the last 9 years I did not run any script by Zar's definition ... but one: return to location X after killing a certain kind of mob and wait there till I manually move on.

Me is the major botter of Genesis it seems, according to such a definition.

If I made a trigger to climb cliff after failing to get sure footing ... would be botting as well ...

Please ... take my ex-wife ...

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 02 Sep 2012 11:27

I agree with Zar's opinion about moving automatically from room to room, e.g. auto cleaning troll caves or any other exp area. I think that this should not be allowed. And have never done it myself.

For me, auto climbing when you fall down is absolutely fine and does not make you a robot.

Perhaps we should categorize automatic behaviour into several groups? Like:

1. auto cleaning exp areas YES/NO
2. script herbing YES/NO
3. disembarking/mounting, etc. YES/NO
4. ...

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Sep 2012 13:56

If we disallow scripts that move you between rooms, does that also mean we should disallow power-walking by clicking on a CMUD map?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 02 Sep 2012 15:30

gorboth wrote:If we disallow scripts that move you between rooms, does that also mean we should disallow power-walking by clicking on a CMUD map?

G.

I think he means scripts that automatically moves to another room when it doesent find anything more to kill

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 02 Sep 2012 15:37

By your definition I'm a botter then.

You guys are truly on a quest for your own sake - it has NOTHING in common with benefiting the game in general. Just yourself.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 02 Sep 2012 15:40

Laurel wrote:By your definition I'm a botter then.

You guys are truly on a quest for your own sake - it has NOTHING in common with benefiting the game in general. Just yourself.

So you're convinced that noone has left the game due to the game consisting by a shitload of bots? :P

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/