Banning all scripts

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should scripting of any kind simply be banned to solve the botting issue?

Yes.
40%
No.
60%

Total votes: 45

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Banning all scripts

Post by Cherek » 11 Sep 2012 03:10

Fairlight wrote: If a script is giving you an advantage, where you aren't required at the keys,
yet still gain something from it. Then, you are botting! Wow, how easy was
that. We aren't talking about simple combat triggers that will make you
fight a room, and ONE room only mind!
Thats not exactly true... not with our current rules on botting. By our definition you can in theory write a script that does everything for you, as long as you're keeping an eye on the screen.

Anyway, just do "help botting", its pretty clear what's ok and what's not.

What we are discussing here though is people's thoughts on the suggestion of making any type of scripting illegal, and IF so, where to draw the line.

I dont know if we really came to any conclusions, It's pretty clear that there are many different opinions on the subject.

I do agree with you that rules should not be overly complicated. If we're starting to have rules that list in detail exactly which things you can do by script and which you cant it'll be a real mess I think. I think the current rule page is pretty clear without being too much.

Fairlight
Apprentice

Post by Fairlight » 11 Sep 2012 15:27

Ok, I'll play along.

What screen are we talking about ?
I can have a picture off my screen on my iphone. Lying 1000 miles away
on a sandy beach. The rules don't say it has to be the screen from where genesis is running from. Yes, I know I called for common sense.
But you let the door open, and now someone is standing inside your house!

For all I care, I can be sleeping and have a sound trigger go off, when some
tries to talk with me. I can make a bot quit when approached if I so choose.

Rules are the to be kept, not discussed. And I have a slight feeling that some
are too lenient about this. I might even start to write in german soon :D

Remember, a camel is a horse, designed by a comittee.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 11 Sep 2012 16:54

Now you're just being silly Fairlight, and no I didnt invite you to be silly. At least that was no my intention.

As I understood you feel that any automated script that gives you something, and does not require any player input, is botting? So if I watch my character automatically gather all herbs in an area without touching any keys, I am botting and doing something illegal? Thats how I interpreted your post, all I was saying was that it's not botting according to our rules.

If I misunderstood, do tell. Without being overly silly please... :)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 11 Sep 2012 17:02

Rules which require the interpretation of a "friendly neighbourhood wizard" = clear win!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 11 Sep 2012 17:15

There really isnt much to interpret in our botting rules though...

Aimee
Wanderer

Post by Aimee » 11 Sep 2012 17:46

I think the simple fact of the matter is:

You need to be at the computer paying attention to the screen to some degree, not off drinking coffee downstairs, sleeping, watching a movie (unless on a second monitor). It is basic common sense.

Your character can be fully automated to the degree of performing a task like herbing, killing all orcs in an area, but you need to be paying attention!

Not sure how much more straight forward that can be.

Aimee
vita aeterna

Fairlight
Apprentice

Post by Fairlight » 11 Sep 2012 21:14

Yes Cherek, if you don't even want to put in a minimum of effort to a game.

When you let slide the option of attacking, leave, entering a room to a sub-routine. Then I deem you to be botting. I might be wrong, but applying abit of logic I still believe im pretty close to the truth. Yes, we all rely on using triggers
to do our bidding once entering combat, since playing telnet style isnt longer hip!

So in short, when you have triggers testing a room for combat when you enter,
then I scream foul play! By saying, it is ok to use scripts when playing, aslong as you watch the screen. Then we are down to trusting a person, and we both know that humans can't be trusted!!

Well, some can't ... ;)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 11 Sep 2012 21:29

Fairlight: Well, those are the rules, those we are discussing. I take it you voted "yes" then? Since what you are describing is pretty close to banning scripts completely.

My own opinions on the matter is simply that we should not ban more things to make people wanna play actively, but rather provide fun things for them to do instead, so they want to play actively. I think the rules are good as they are. But its a close vote.

Fairlight
Apprentice

Post by Fairlight » 12 Sep 2012 10:11

Yes, Cherek, we might be close to agreeing with alot of things.

But I shall rephrase my previous "rants" into a single word, Respect!.

Respect for your fellow players and wizards.
Respect for the game of Genesis.

I don't think that genesis' lecagy should be of "And it ended its life a bot!".

This may sound like I'm some kind of old sentimental fool. Yes, I'm prolly as old
as Mim was when I started playing ;) This is not a complaint, it is a mere
observation :). But if the conclusion is that im and old sentimental git, then
so be it.

However, we owe it to Genesis not to let it become script infested.

I should also stress, this isn't an attack of you Cherek, this is just how I feel.
But spening as long as one have with this game, it turn into a love/hate relationship at times :).

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 12 Sep 2012 12:14

Fairlight wrote: But spening as long as one have with this game, it turn into a love/hate relationship at times :).
Know exactly how you feel Fairlight.
However i also feel its very hard to respect people that is nothing but bad for the game you have loved for so long.
And seeing those in charge doing near nothing to evolve things, yet cling on to their positions like they mattered.. This just piss me off.
Yes people, you know who you are.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/