The loss of playerbase..

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Uther
Great Adventurer

The loss of playerbase..

Post by Uther » 11 Nov 2012 03:27

Greetings.

I am not out to flame anyone with this thread. I am merely trying to find answers.

First I want to praise everyone who has contributed to gaining players to Genesis, specially to Gorboth who has steared the ship of Genesis for some years now, put down a lot of sparetime into this game. I am grateful you did and still do. Without your efforts Gorboth, and the others, I could only speculate where Genesis would be..

Today I read Gorboth's note about the Donut.

According to Gorboths note regarding the Donut Status https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... =27&t=2029

And to Quote Gorboth "Clearly, 2012 has been a very real departure from the activity levels Genesis has enjoyed in prior years."

I would go as all the way back to 2011 where there are some serious concerns about the lowering playerbase since October/November.

I guess seeing that statistic would have made Gorboth or any other Admin react, perhaps earlier ? I mean the October month had 17 players in average, November dropped to 12 and December to 9.5. That is almost half in 2 months. I guess we can blame SKYRIM for that. (It was released 11th November 2011.) After that Genesis has not recovered to the higher numbers as it had before. Why ?

When a good game is released, all other games loses playerbase, that is a common known feature, it always happens.

But also, I do know, there were a lot of players who have left the mud at that time, before Skyrim was released, that was playing on regular basis, some of them daily, and never got back.
Why ?

What I wonder is if the AoP and/or the Keeper did some research behind why so many people left and didn't return?

Does anyone else know ?

I hope people can answer this thread without turning it into a shitflinging thread, perhaps that might be a reason why the players have left, who knows. You tell me.

What I would like to see is a "list" of the reasons why people left the mud and counter those reasons, if able, and maybe getting those players, who has left, back to the mud.

Gorboth, what are your answers to these questions?

What do you other think or know ?

Please keep this thread free from shitflinging.
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: The loss of playerbase..

Post by gorboth » 11 Nov 2012 04:55

Sure Uther,

I believe I dealt with most of these questions in my detailed analysis provided by my post from this time last year and then the semi-annual follow up in the Summer.
Let me know if these do not answer your questions.
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 11 Nov 2012 08:53

There are other factors that can be of influence too. Recent release of Borderlands 2 (which has my brother still playing it day-in/day-out), Assassin's Creed 3, DotA2 and Guild Wars 2 might also have effect on Genesis population.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 28 May 2013 11:18

I am a new player to Genesis. Completely new in every sense of the word. I knew about the game 10-12 years ago, but I never got around to playing it because I was otherwise engaged and knew this to be a very difficult game in comparison to most others.

Now that I have the time, I quickly searched for it and started my journey. It is sometimes difficult, even frustrating at times, but it's fun, and its players, most of them, are very nice people who are fun to play with.

There are a couple of things I don't understand, and can't even make the sense out of them, but I guess answers will come in due time.

Anyhow, you may count on one more player to your loyal playerbase.

Cheers,
Aristos.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/