Size inflation, gear inflation...

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Re: Size inflation, gear inflation...

Post by Rhaegar » 16 Nov 2012 23:31

Re-implementation of sneak-bouncing would be nice too. Of course in a limited fashion. Previously it was too strong and now it's impossible and horribly annoying not to be able to sneak for ages after combat has been initiated (regardless of who initiated it).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Nov 2012 04:07

Oh well, you sneaky ones probably have more updated knowledge about how sneak and hide really works these days. I was just throwing out some ideas about how it could work. Maybe just turning up the sneak and hide-ability is good enough. My main point really was: Dont make it so good its like being invisible.

I know its not like that now Greneth, but the discussion was about how to improve it, and I say just dont overdo it so people with those skills _become_ almost invisible without giving your regular player a reasonable way of countering it.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 17 Nov 2012 04:09

Cherek wrote:Oh well, you sneaky ones probably have more updated knowledge about how sneak and hide really works these days. I was just throwing out some ideas about how it could work. Maybe just turning up the sneak and hide-ability is good enough. My main point really was: Dont make it so good its like being invisible.

I know its not like that now Greneth, but the discussion was about how to improve it, and I say just dont overdo it so people with those skills _become_ almost invisible without giving your regular player a reasonable way of countering it.

What i think you are aiming at is this..
Dont be able to fight while unseen to the oponent.
In this though, I agree
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Nov 2012 06:13

Amberlee: No that wasnt really what I was saying, not being able to fight while hidden goes _without_ saying.:) What I was saying was that you should not be able to engage in a fight, or be attacked, and then just be able to sneak away moments later. I dont think that would be a good upgrade. Nor do I think any upgrade that makes it almost impossible for average people to detect sneaking people would be a good one. I think we should encourage interaction, not go the other way. And yeah, you could definitely have a useful sneak and hide skill without it meaning you will be able to walk around a whole day never been seen by anyone. I dont really think that is much of an improvement for anyone in the long run.

Stuff like stealth and stealing are to me "high risk / high reward" type of activities. I think we should make them more like that, instead of what they are today. Today it feels more like something you can turn on that works decently but it does not really have that much use, and there's really not much risk involved either. Thats pretty boring. Just adding more sneak will not change much really it will just add... well more of the same fairly boring activity.

Sneaking around and trying to spy or steal from someone should be something exciting. Will you be detected or will you get away with it? If we can make it exciting, and also potentially rewarding, then stealthy guilds will probably be more fun to play. Even without improving any fighting skills at all.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 17 Nov 2012 10:51

Another possibility would be adding the "shock factor". If someone can't see you and you attack them they get stunned for a moment and their defences lowered and slowly coming back up as they regain their composure.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 17 Nov 2012 13:39

Cherek, I can understand where your cming from but there's a few problems. First being you cannot force anyone to interact with others. Stealthed or not chances are they will just run past someone. Infact I would say you get more interaction with someone stealthed for the simple fact of teasing people when then cannot find you.

Secondly the high reward/risk would be a great addition, if not for the fact that every change since the old thieves has been against that. Raising awareness, creating items to store things so people cannot steal things, magical gates to block racks. What would be the reward? At this point your lucky to sit at a bank and hope for someone to be slow while getting coins for training. Furthermore what would be the gain for rangers who have no steal or lockpick?

While nice in theory I just don't think its plausible without unwrapping years of nerfs.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 17 Nov 2012 16:18

Cherek wrote:Amberlee: No that wasnt really what I was saying, not being able to fight while hidden goes _without_ saying.:) What I was saying was that you should not be able to engage in a fight, or be attacked, and then just be able to sneak away moments later. I dont think that would be a good upgrade. Nor do I think any upgrade that makes it almost impossible for average people to detect sneaking people would be a good one. I think we should encourage interaction, not go the other way. And yeah, you could definitely have a useful sneak and hide skill without it meaning you will be able to walk around a whole day never been seen by anyone. I dont really think that is much of an improvement for anyone in the long run.

Stuff like stealth and stealing are to me "high risk / high reward" type of activities. I think we should make them more like that, instead of what they are today. Today it feels more like something you can turn on that works decently but it does not really have that much use, and there's really not much risk involved either. Thats pretty boring. Just adding more sneak will not change much really it will just add... well more of the same fairly boring activity.

Sneaking around and trying to spy or steal from someone should be something exciting. Will you be detected or will you get away with it? If we can make it exciting, and also potentially rewarding, then stealthy guilds will probably be more fun to play. Even without improving any fighting skills at all.

Right... Except nowdays there really isnt any reward for it.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/