Lore & reading material

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aristos
Veteran

Lore & reading material

Post by Aristos » 06 Jun 2013 16:05

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask you all if you could offer me a bit of advice regarding the Lore on which parts of Genesis is based on.

I know Lord of the Rings plays a big role in the game, but im not too certain about other books.

What books or websites would you recommend to someone wanting to associate certain domains and areaa with literature?

Thanks in advance!

Zestana
Expert

Re: Lore & reading material

Post by Zestana » 06 Jun 2013 17:15

Avenir - Well I believe the Embassy site is down so Shadow Union is your best bet as it is primarily created by the minds of genesis wizards.

Cadu/Khalakhor - Nordic history is my best bet but also created from the imagination primarily.

Calia - Imagination of genesis wizards.

Earthsea - Based off of the six book series Legends of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Emerald - Imagination of wizards.

Faerun - Forgotten Realms books.

Kalad/Cirath - Both are slightly based on the Dark Sun D&D campaign. Cirath more so than Kalad but both draw from parts of it.

Krynn - Dragonlance books

Middle-Earth - Based on Tolkien's writings.

Terel - Also of its own making.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 06 Jun 2013 17:28

Zestana wrote:Avenir - Well I believe the Embassy site is down so Shadow Union is your best bet as it is primarily created by the minds of genesis wizards.

Cadu/Khalakhor - Nordic history is my best bet but also created from the imagination primarily.

Calia - Imagination of genesis wizards.

Earthsea - Based off of the six book series Legends of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Emerald - Imagination of wizards.

Faerun - Forgotten Realms books.

Kalad/Cirath - Both are slightly based on the Dark Sun D&D campaign. Cirath more so than Kalad but both draw from parts of it.

Krynn - Dragonlance books

Middle-Earth - Based on Tolkien's writings.

Terel - Also of its own making.
Thanks! On my way to amazon for the ones related to literature. It seems that a great deal is very original. Great work!

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 06 Jun 2013 18:43

Actually there is alot of lore in-game both written by players and wizards alike.

Personally I would recommend that you travel to Minas Morgul and visit the great library there, to learn the true lore of Middle Earth.
But be sure to visit as many libraries as you can, and the Tower of Realms in Sparkle also holds alot of information.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 06 Jun 2013 19:31

Avenir:
All the info from the Avenir Embassy that used to be on the webpage is now in the Sparkle Library with the exception of a few documents that have been placed elsewhere in the actual domain. Don't expect to find it all on one shelf. Its placed in appropriate sections of the library. Having a strong literature, philosophy, and religious knowledge base will help you as the creators pulled from many humanities sources to create the domain.

Calia:
There are chronicles in the Tower of Realms that give you some history for what is a unique and original concept. Others can be found in documents/libraries in the domain. The rest I believe you need to collect from actual members of guilds from that domain.

Terel:
As Zestana mentioned.. its original in its creation. One of the main wizards... Mecien.. had a strong inclination towards studying culture and religion. So has those influences. Not seen quite as much as seen in Avenir though. Actually a good deal of Terel's mythology was never fully coded. Kithkanan is probably a good person to ask that kind of info to (if he were around much) ... as I believe he and a few others were able to ask Mecien about a lot of what he had envisioned and planned. It just never happened. Actually now that I think about it.. Mumon is a good person to try to convince to tell you. Though I'm not sure how much he will share. You just have to accept that some things with him will always be eerily mysterious. :)
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 06 Jun 2013 21:19

I thought Kalad was Genesis original? And same for Raumdor, no?

Also not mentioned was Krynn/Ansalon which is based on Dragonlance (D&D-based series of novels).

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 06 Jun 2013 22:51

I have always thought that Khalakhor was inspired by celtic history/myths.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 06 Jun 2013 23:07

arcon wrote:I have always thought that Khalakhor was inspired by celtic history/myths.
That is correct.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 07 Jun 2013 08:15

Argos and the area around it look to me like ancient Greece, while Kretans seem to resemble some ancient form of nazis (blue-eyed, anti-foreigner, etc.).

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/