Leaving notes in the game (Improving roleplay)

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aristos
Veteran

Leaving notes in the game (Improving roleplay)

Post by Aristos » 17 Jun 2013 22:30

Hello,

I have something in mind, and I do not know if it is already in the game since I do not know
all of it yet. If it is indeed in the game, please rectify me. If not, consider moving this thread
to the suggestion forum.

In order to improve roleplay and kindle the flame of curiosity, I'd like to be able to write and leave
in-game notes. How this would work I do not know, but it's useful in many ways.
At the moment we have different types of messengers, in-game mail, and the casters have spells.

I think the idea of carrying paper and pen, perhaps even learning to write in order to do it (though
it seems useless since we can already write mail), and leaving notes certain places would really
help roleplay. Let's say, for example, I am trying to recruit someone to a guild. The method we
have now is that of posting on the boards and thinking someone will read it and look for the person
who wrote it. Fine, but wouldn't it really have a bit more flavour if a person could scribble a note and
leave it in a certain location ? It would be addressed to the finder of the note, and it could be either
anonymous or signed (by the players own name - make it unable to impersonate someone else).

Another scenario would be a person trying to recruit others to a cause, or to gain the favour of someone,
or a guild. Leaving gifts, for example, with a short note. We should also be able to hand over the note
to others. Something along the lines of "I've found this in front of our doors. Who do you think it is? The
message is so cryptic...".

One could, in the end, either "tear" the piece of paper and so dispose of it, or keep it.

Another scenario would be a travel log for travelers, or a quest log for someone on a mission. Let's say
a person wants to really roleplay this mission for it is a difficult one, and he/she wants to keep notes
for the next time. We could do this in-game instead of scribbling down in RL.

Of course, the idea needs a lot of sharpening, but it is after all an idea.

I think the ability to roleplay and to have a sense of purpose, intrigue, etc would restore many players'
lust for the game. To solve a mistery, to find out who this was, to feel "called" by chance.

What do you think of this ?

I'm trying to come up with many ideas to develop a sense of story to the game which goes out of the
known boundaries. Like for example, people recruiting others for a cause. Guilds uniting for a purpose,
people with a mission that doesn't only have to do with killing this or that NPC, but which involves the
other players as well and gives them a bit of a shock back to life.

I would like to, sometime in the future, be involved in discussions regarding player politics, plots, stories,
adventures and tactics instead of debating game mechanics too much. It would be great if we could develop
a role in the game, and truly live it. If that character is stronger, then let people unite against him. If that
other guild has secrets I do not comprehend, then instead of lashing out at them out of envy, perhaps people
could develop their own secrets, make hideouts, make a club, a group. I don't know. A guild, a club, a group
of people with a common purpose doesn't always have to be hard-coded. It could be imagined, created, and
thus, lived.

Opinions ?

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Leaving notes in the game (Improving roleplay)

Post by gorboth » 18 Jun 2013 05:56

My opinion is that you are cool, Aristos. :-)

Now, as to your idea ... there are tons of odd little things coded here and there in the game, probably some of which would satisfy some of the things you'd want to do here. I know, for example, that there is a piece of chalk hidden somewhere in Krynn that lets you scribble messages on the ground of a given location. There are probably other such things which have varying degrees of utility for what you're after. Maybe others can chime in here with things they know about?

Also, yes, it would definitely be possible to create something new in the game if the existing tools are not sufficient.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Re: Leaving notes in the game (Improving roleplay)

Post by Recoba » 18 Jun 2013 15:04

I like your thinking here, Aristos.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/