Roleplaying

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amorana
Rising Hero

Re: Roleplaying

Post by Amorana » 28 Nov 2013 01:33

Tive wrote:Sooooo.. there are no numbers in Genesis, just plain text which many say is what this game is about. All the fancy descriptions which WIZARDS create and say they give you drama and all that crap. And now you people say logs are NOT in character? Not RP? These descriptions are supposed to be all that... So, are they fu**ed up? make up your mind. Or has someone got double standards and is protective about one sh*t or another? Sad.
What you're saying to me makes no sense. If you are implying that by copying and pasting what you read on your screen you are RPing, because you are putting the same exact words back... Then I don't even know where to begin.

Reading "w" "n" "e" "s" "guild special" "get coins from corpse" "get gems from corpse" "layman guild ability" is not relaying what was shown to you, for one. For two, the graphics the words on your screen are what you the player experience. For your character to write what you read...

I just can't. I don't know how to respond to this. All I can get at is copy/paste != RP.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 28 Nov 2013 02:42

Kas wrote:If you have a log and you want to post it, why not break it down and write a fitting storytelling scroll about what your character actually experienced from his/her unique perspective? Study the text, the feeling spells give your character, add some tension, drama, feelings and character biasm for additional flavour.

For the new and the unexperienced, instead of a cold ooc log, they find a story of some event that may be inspiring to read (and dread).
Oh I dont really disagree. I've written my share of stories through the years. Like I said I assumed logs very generally accepted as out of charcter transcripts and nobody would have an issue with logs. Especially considering how I immediately have ben asked for logs when I've encountered mages so far...

We'll see. I'll think about what you all have said.

Yanus
Adventurer

Post by Yanus » 28 Nov 2013 03:27

This discussion is brilliant.
No, realli.

But could anyone help me and tell me the name of a player that decided to leave Genesis because of the log being published?

One name is enough.

And since suddenly everyone is soooo concerned about Kiara's level of RP, could you remind me who left Genesis because of so-called RP of Mages of Morgul?

You. Are. Distracting.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 28 Nov 2013 03:55

Yanus wrote:You. Are. Distracting.
Kiara created this post. I responded. If you don't want to have a serious discussion about RP then don't. She presented several other questions that I provided responses to as well. This is a broad topic concerning RP, not just her posts in Sparkle.

In this regard:
Yanus wrote:You. Are. Distracting.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 28 Nov 2013 03:58

Amorana:

Well, good post. I dont really disagree with your views. I think it would be fine with me if everything was more RP-ish. To a limit anyway. I am not sure it would be helpful for the playerbase if everyone were expected to act like in the mentioned four guilds either. I think that would scare people away as well. Because not everyone wants that type of "hardcore" RP. Since all the stuff I listed, and more, happens all the time, and many of our current players do it because, I assume, they want to. Should we not simply accept that as part of the game? And roleplayers should... well adapt and and accept not everyone they meet will RP?

Dont get me wrong now. I am not saying we should stop RP-ing, but one could argue that most people in the game today RP very little, and may not enjoy a more RP heavy game? Because if they did enjoy RP they would RP?

You worry people wont enjoy the game with less immersion etc, because that is how you enjoy the game. But I assume it goes both ways too? I am sure there's a lot of people who dont really want to RP much at all. Thats simply not why they play. So my only conclusion really is the most players today prefer less RP? And those who like it are drawn to mainly the four guilds you chose. And maybe thats good? I understand that those who like RP would prefer everyone else also RPing just as much... but has it really been that case at any point?

I am not so sure we had that much more RP in the past? Did we really? I mainly remember wars, logs all over the place, in game and out of game, quest solutions being distributed, ICQ-talks, groups of people in computer labs sharing everything simply by talking, watching each others screens, talking swedish, polish, danish, in game and so on. Some people loved RP and were mages or ino ther guilds that at that time were considered more RP-ish. Or you became a gladiator and didnt care at all about RP. Some simply liked getting together, grabbing a few beer (iRL) and gang up to PVP. No RP at all. I think Genesis has always been a game that has attracted many different types of players and play styles, and I am not sure I really see a reason to try to change that... or if its even possible? Do we want to?

Personally I think I am somewhere in between. I prefer to stay out of iRL talk as much as possible, and its almost always possible. You can always "take a nap" or "be in thoughts" or something instead of telling everyone you need to take a smoke. And so on. That, talking in another language, and letting your friends join an RP-style guild without effort, is for me the "worst RP crimes". Maps, quest docs, and other common info being spread around I've usually seen as helpful and without it I am not sure I would have stayed so long. Logs have for me been a positive experience. Reading about other fights, seeing abilities other guilds used, combat tactics, etc, has encouraged me to PVP more than anything else. But thats a personal preference, I can see your side of it also, and if you're looking to always stay in character I can see how it would break that illusion a bit.

So... I understand and agree with all your points. But I think your views on those things will matter depending on what type of player you are. You, Hektor, Celephias, and many others in the mentioned four guilds are probably furthest towards RP on the scale, the opposite player is almost completely non-RP, and most of us probably end up somewhere in between I think.

Would the game be better if everyone leaned more towards RP? Good question. I dont really know? Would we gain or lose players? I guess we can only... guess.

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 28 Nov 2013 10:30

Amorana wrote: Reading "w" "n" "e" "s" "guild special" "get coins from corpse" "get gems from corpse" "layman guild ability" is not relaying what was shown to you, for one. For two, the graphics the words on your screen are what you the player experience. For your character to write what you read...

I just can't. I don't know how to respond to this. All I can get at is copy/paste != RP.
Just configure your client not to include the commands in logs, when I used to play Genesis i never had those included. So... not my fault you are a bit limited (and you seem to be by the look of all your posts). Maybe you are bad at 'RP', whatever that means and if you want to go in that direction. I am not saying logs are "RP". I'm just puzzled why suddenly people have problems with logs being posted here and there?! After all that's what the game looks like (if you bother to pay attention what is being logged).

And you guys should stop forcing people to play the game/"RP" the way you do/want it and claiming they suck if they don't.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 28 Nov 2013 11:00

ctl+f "You" in your logs
change into "I"
alter the rest accordingly to match the changed person view
remove triggers firing

THIS IS HOW THE GAME LOOKS LIKE

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 28 Nov 2013 23:15

Tive wrote: I'm just puzzled why suddenly people have problems with logs being posted here and there?! After all that's what the game looks like (if you bother to pay attention what is being logged).
Well, these were logs about MM abilities... That's it.
After that logs are crime. You need excuse? RP is our guideline.
Don't want to RP? *slap*
Posting log as any other log in "Logs" section? *slap*
Saying mages are overpowered? *slap* *slap* *slap*

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 29 Nov 2013 21:27

Oh, I can definitely think of players we have lost because the game has suffered in terms of roleplay. In fact, I suspect we have lost a great deal of the prestige of our unique offering because we cannot claim to be very hardcore in terms of roleplay any longer. The more a game is dedicated to and enforces a roleplay ethic, the more you attract the type of player who enjoys that ethic. The less you do, the more you lose that type of player.

It comes down to what sort of players we want to keep, in the end. I've been trying to walk the middle road, catering to all. I remain very skeptical that this has been the correct choice.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 30 Nov 2013 07:32

gorboth wrote:Oh, I can definitely think of players we have lost because the game has suffered in terms of roleplay. In fact, I suspect we have lost a great deal of the prestige of our unique offering because we cannot claim to be very hardcore in terms of roleplay any longer. The more a game is dedicated to and enforces a roleplay ethic, the more you attract the type of player who enjoys that ethic. The less you do, the more you lose that type of player.

It comes down to what sort of players we want to keep, in the end. I've been trying to walk the middle road, catering to all. I remain very skeptical that this has been the correct choice.

G.
Yup, but it probably goes both ways. Aim for more serious RP, you'll lose one type of players who dont enjoy that type of play. Go the other way, you'll probably lose some serious roleplayers and attract a more "casual" type of player base. Personally I dont think the game was alot more RP-ish say 10 years ago. Maybe we lost some roleplayers and have moved towards a more OOC style of play, but I personally dont feel there has been a dramatic change... has it? Maybe it is just me who has changed too, so I havent noticed the global change much... just adapted?:)

Anyway, the ones who should decide what type of game and what type of players this should be is you and your fellow wizards! If your dream for the game is it to be a great RP experience then go for it! Try to attract those type of players, promote that type of play style. I think a clear target group is good! A too broad target group is risky too I think, as everything could become too diffuse and too general. And you might end up with just a pretty generic game thats not very special. Thats my experience with similar stuff anyway. Not sure how much it applies here, but a little at least I think.

No matter which path you chose there's probably a risk people wont like it. Actually, its almost certain some will not. Comes with the job Gobama!

Hmm. I sound like some know-it-all in text game design... I am not. Just blabbering as usual. But maybe there is something useful in my blabbering:)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/