Roleplaying

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zar
Hero

Re: Roleplaying

Post by Zar » 04 Dec 2013 15:49

Makfly wrote:I mentioned the choice of race also in terms of effects on stats. Again a choice perhaps not founded in roleplaying and what would make thematic sense, but on other criteria.
Never the less its a minor point, and I do agree with you that having all Nazguls be wraiths is a nice improvement over the previous system.
Aren't Nazguls humans by RP?

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 04 Dec 2013 16:40

zar wrote:
Makfly wrote:I mentioned the choice of race also in terms of effects on stats. Again a choice perhaps not founded in roleplaying and what would make thematic sense, but on other criteria.
Never the less its a minor point, and I do agree with you that having all Nazguls be wraiths is a nice improvement over the previous system.
Aren't Nazguls humans by RP?

They are supposed to be atleast but... who cares about rp? :P

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 04 Dec 2013 18:01

The non-human Nazgul issue is one with a long and fascinating history in this game. Suffice it to say that it is not something taken lightly by everyone in the guild, or in the history of the guild. But, back in around 1995-1997 Chmee was made the first non-human (goblin) Nazgul with the full blessing of Olorin, the original GM and creator of the guild. I hated it so much that I ended up leaving the game for over a year as a result of the drama that unfolded over the issue, which played out over an entire era of the guild's early history.

By now, that is water under the bridge. The "wraith" obfuscation acts as something of a veneer to the issue. I'll refrain from commenting on my current opinions due to the doomsday weight of Keeper keystrokes on the forum.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 04 Dec 2013 18:39

All I meet when hunting mages is an army of orcs! (or possibly the same orc(s) over and over again).

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 04 Dec 2013 20:42

Kiara wrote:All I meet when hunting mages is an army of orcs! (or possibly the same orc(s) over and over again).
Do we have any reference of orc mage in Tolkien books?
I don't remember any. But please, refresh it for me

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 04 Dec 2013 20:57

It would be almost impossible to use Tolkien to condone or explain the existence of the Morgul Mage guild as it is coded presently.

We, in Genesis, take a lot of liberties with some of the lore that we work within. The Nazgul and Mages are certainly one of them.

Windemere

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 04 Dec 2013 20:59

zar wrote:
Kiara wrote:All I meet when hunting mages is an army of orcs! (or possibly the same orc(s) over and over again).
Do we have any reference of orc mage in Tolkien books?
I don't remember any. But please, refresh it for me
What you have to remember is that the books are a guideline for roleplay, not the be all end all.

The RP argument, in my mind, would be that it was Sauron who picks his most loyal servants, and if he deems an orc worthy, then the orc is worthy.

But that's just my thought. I'm not sure about the inner workings of MM, but that's how I'd play it off if I were King or Queen or what have you.

If we were to go strictly by the books:
"So it is now; the Nine he had gathered to himself; the Seven also, or else they are destroyed. The Three are hidden still."
[The Fellowship of the Ring]
The nine would forever be the nine characters who first possessed the rings that Sauron now holds, and whenever one died (or stopped playing) there would be no one to replace them.

I don't think I want to be in a world where interpretation is that literal. :shock:
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Creed

Post by Creed » 04 Dec 2013 21:43

Well..
The mages, with their new and improved standards, (which we all will see, sooner or later) have found out that high mentals are so much more important..
And since the mages can't be half-elves or elves, they are luckily left with the option to become orcs, very evil creatures with base elven stats.
So they are both evil and have high mentals.. a win/win situation.

I sometimes wonder if the guild, at some point, was opened with that in mind...?

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 04 Dec 2013 22:00

Most likely the same orc, since the active mage population consist of four wraiths and one orc. So, one could say the population of orcs in the tower is rather small, even if we include the inactive ones.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 05 Dec 2013 00:10

I havent even read LoTR so for me gnomes or orcs, or any other race works just as well. Yes. It's true. I havent read LoTR, or Dragonlance, or any other book Genesis is based on. My view of LoTR, Dragonlance etc comes FROM Genesis. So when I saw the LoTR movies I was like "Hm, thats not how I imagined rangers in Genesis", etc. Kinda funny really.

I do find it a little sad that very few RP their race anymore. No matter if you're an orc mage, a goblin calian etc, I think that would be fun. Currwntly most people act the same so you never really feel Genesis has different races. We just have different stat modifiers.

In the past it feels like people did this more. Like Goblins often talked goblin talk etc. Now.. not so much.

I think however the ogres guild/race is a great example of how code can help RP though. I think most people who have become ogres have started to speak in a very basic cave man style, simply because the entire style and theme of the kill screams at you that you ARE stupid. So you automatically act stupid even without thinking about. I even start speaking like that just by being around ogres. You are constantly reminded that you are stupid, which automatically makes your RP stupid too. Of course the automatic speak in caps and differently styled emotes helps too.

When I meet an ogre, no matter who it is, I always "see" an ogre in front of me. For most others I meet I just see someone. Most of the time I could not really tell which race someone is, or which guild they belong to, because most people are more or less the same no matter which race or guild they join. And I am not really blaming people for it either. I mean, if you have to be creative and think up everything yourself, its harder to RP. If the game helps you, its easier.

Ogres is a pretty complex way though, but another much simpler example is the gnometalk ability gnomes have. The only thing it does is remove spaces and add a capital letter at the beginning of each word. So a gnome really only has to turn it on, and they are a gnome! There's more to RP of course, but just turning on gnometalks really helps a lot by itself.

SS have an ability that kind of puts kenders into RP situations all the time, which also is a really good way to by code promote RP.

I think more little things like that would greatly assist us all in RP.

Maybe goblins could have goblintalk? Like perhaps autoreplace every S with Z, and then add some other keywords that are automatically replaced into more goblin-style words. Like "I" becomes "Me", "What" becomes "wut", or whatever words goblins use.

I am sure the actors club could also come with some other RP-assisting tools too. Just have to come up with what that could be!:)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/