Roleplaying

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kiara
Champion

Roleplaying

Post by Kiara » 27 Nov 2013 21:12

Ok, since me posting a log in Sparkle board derailed into a (sometimes pretty nasty) RP discussion, I figured its better to start a topic dedicated to that instead.

A few people, Amorana and Celephias for instance, both members of so called "RP guilds" thought that was generally very bad RP. On the other hand, other people have expressed the opposite, and who like me dont think posting a log is particularly bad RP at all.

Gorboth also expressed that he would like the game to be much about RP than it is.

Now i do try to RP. Believe it or not.... and does posting two logs mean I am terrible at RPing? Is it better to share logs by mail? Is that more "in character". To mail them to guild councils? Post on guild boards? Was my log posting any worse than what almost everyone does too? Just because it was on a public board? (which isnt that uncommon either historically).

Should we forbid posting of logs? Completely? I mean either we forbid it or we accept it? Is there some type of middle ground?

Personally, for me. A log is a part of the game, a transcript of events that took place. I dont think someone sharing a log makes them bad a bad roleplayer.

What else is bad RP?

Talking about how you need to walk the dog? Take a smoke? What movie you should see tonight? Yeah this happens all the time. And for someone trying to RP its probably not that fun to relate to.

How about all the Skyping and stuff? Letting people join guild based on being RL friends, or online friends, not caring about RP one bit.

Treating all your characters as one. Sharing equipment and knowledge, money and well anything. Bad? I dont know. Common? Sure.

Asking your friends on Skype to do favours for you? Like buying items from their guild and give to you? Bad RP?

How about opposing guilds RP-wise teaming up and helping each other since they're pals on Skype or iRL? Bad?

Talking openly about stuff like scripts and triggers in game? Bad?

Speaking in your native language about all sorts of non RP-related stuff. Even with others around. Bad?

I could go on and on about stuff that happens every day that isnt very "RP".

Now. is this bad? And if so, WHY is it bad? I mean I dont know anyone who dont do at least something of the above. Most do several of those things. Maybe Amorana and Celephias and a few others are exceptions I dont know. But I think its a little bit funny that me posting to logs because such a big RP issue when all of the stuff above goes on daily and most people know very well that it does. Yet I never hear anyone complain.

So if it's something a lot of people do, and clearly want to do, why is it then "bad"? Is it bad? And how would you go about changing how people play the game? Would we want to?

Feel free to discuss.

petros
Site Admin

Re: Roleplaying

Post by petros » 27 Nov 2013 21:21

The logs and stories section of the forum was meant to allow the sharing of stories that would provide better roleplay experiences. The roleplay should inspire others to do the same. Separately, logs have been posted to help people reminisce about old times and experiences. An epic battle, for example, could live on in lore which can be incorporated into roleplay.

The logs from recent battles was not posted with either of these purposes in mind. Their explicitly stated purpose was to help others to not be afraid of unknown abilities. In other words, their explicit purpose was to reveal guild abilities to the rest of the game.

I will be moderating these logs over the Thanksgiving holidays. When we created these forums, we very explicitly stated that the purpose of these forums is to build community. Part of that is through roleplay. Part of that is by being constructive and helping wizards understand player concerns so that we can do something about it in the game. Systematically dissecting a guild and exposing all of its secrets doesn't fall into these stated purpose(s).

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 27 Nov 2013 21:26

petros wrote:The logs and stories section of the forum was meant to allow the sharing of stories that would provide better roleplay experiences. The roleplay should inspire others to do the same. Separately, logs have been posted to help people reminisce about old times and experiences. An epic battle, for example, could live on in lore which can be incorporated into roleplay.

The logs from recent battles was not posted with either of these purposes in mind. Their explicitly stated purpose was to help others to not be afraid of unknown abilities. In other words, their explicit purpose was to reveal guild abilities to the rest of the game.

I will be moderating these logs over the Thanksgiving holidays. When we created these forums, we very explicitly stated that the purpose of these forums is to build community. Part of that is through roleplay. Part of that is by being constructive and helping wizards understand player concerns so that we can do something about it in the game. Systematically dissecting a guild and exposing all of its secrets doesn't fall into these stated purpose(s).
But doing it "in character" is fine? I hope?

Is posting of these type of revealing logs in game also "forbidden" and will be moderated too from now on?

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 27 Nov 2013 21:40

My personal preference is to leave logs out of Genesis. But if someone posts it, am I going to go delete it? Probably not. I'm not the AoP and I'll leave that to Gorboth to handle.

But is posting a log considered RP? Not in a fantasy world. Roleplay is about communication of experiences with others. You have a log - that's your character's experience. How your character expresses that experience to others is roleplay. You could choose to lie outright, you could choose to tell tall tales about the experience. That is roleplay. Posting a log gives people the same experience that your character had and leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination.

Think of it this way. If you actually fought a battle against a MM and needed to tell others about it without the use of a camera having recorded the events, how would you do it?

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 27 Nov 2013 22:03

I like the post. I am at work and will later address each of these questions one by one. I think a solid RP discussion would be great. Perhaps you and I can get to a point where we see more eye to eye on RP. Maybe we won't. But we can at least try.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 27 Nov 2013 22:08

petros wrote:My personal preference is to leave logs out of Genesis. But if someone posts it, am I going to go delete it? Probably not. I'm not the AoP and I'll leave that to Gorboth to handle.

But is posting a log considered RP? Not in a fantasy world. Roleplay is about communication of experiences with others. You have a log - that's your character's experience. How your character expresses that experience to others is roleplay. You could choose to lie outright, you could choose to tell tall tales about the experience. That is roleplay. Posting a log gives people the same experience that your character had and leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination.

Think of it this way. If you actually fought a battle against a MM and needed to tell others about it without the use of a camera having recorded the events, how would you do it?
Oh I dont disagree. Telling a story is better RP. But like Draugor said in the other thread, most guild councils have as requirement to send logs of any encounter as proof. Thats been the way we've done things for as long as I can remember. I am not really sure why it suddenly became such a big deal. I considered writing it as stories, but i then assumed I would get tons of mails asking me to send the logs (yes people started asking me right away, before I posted them).

I think its a bit odd... people want Rp in public, but they love the logs in mail. And guilds expect RP, but also expect people to send them logs of PVP encounters. With the exact same purpose, to reveal guild abilities to learn how to counter them.

Now I do what everyone else always have done too, in mails and within guilds, but I do it openly its a big scandal.

We used to have game wide wars where posting logs in and out of game was a lot of fun. Something people logged in to read. Everyone loved to read about a good fight. Some wrote stories, some posted logs, some did both. Considering the number of views of the logs on the forum, and the number of people who immediately asked me about logs after the fights Ive been involved in lately, people still love to read them.

If all these things are bad RP...? Well maybe... But I think a game where theres activity going on on forums, websites, on Skype, ingame and so on in generally a good thing.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 27 Nov 2013 22:12

Amorana wrote:I like the post. I am at work and will later address each of these questions one by one. I think a solid RP discussion would be great. Perhaps you and I can get to a point where we see more eye to eye on RP. Maybe we won't. But we can at least try.
Ok. Good! I'll look forward to that. Really!

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 27 Nov 2013 22:13

Since Draugor posted another note in another thread asking why Irk's log hasn't been moderated and you are asking similar questions here.

Logs are not banned. If they were, we wouldn't have a logs and stories. It's a fine line between posting a log because of the reasons I stated previously, versus posting a log to disseminate information about a guild. Logs can build up and logs can tear down.

I personally don't have the time nor the bandwidth to try and police logs. Players will need to use your best judgment on what will actually build up rather than tear down others with these posts.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 27 Nov 2013 22:16

petros wrote:Since Draugor posted another note in another thread asking why Irk's log hasn't been moderated and you are asking similar questions here.

Logs are not banned. If they were, we wouldn't have a logs and stories. It's a fine line between posting a log because of the reasons I stated previously, versus posting a log to disseminate information about a guild. Logs can build up and logs can tear down.

I personally don't have the time nor the bandwidth to try and police logs. Players will need to use your best judgment on what will actually build up rather than tear down others with these posts.
SO! If Kiara had posted the logg just to show of a fight and someone else pointed out how little resistances seems to actually do you'd be cool with it? :P

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 27 Nov 2013 22:19

petros wrote:Since Draugor posted another note in another thread asking why Irk's log hasn't been moderated and you are asking similar questions here.

I'll stick to in-game-mage-opposition from now on. I do hope there is no problem with exposing secrets and tearing down guilds there? I mean the game does welcome conflict... I hope?

I get the feeling that you disapprove, or am I am just reading to much into your note?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/