Death Penalty Opinions

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the game return to having some kind of exp-penalty when a character dies?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 54

Ydred
Veteran

Re: Death Penalty Opinions

Post by Ydred » 24 Jan 2014 11:40

Makfly wrote:
Unfortunately I think Gorboths proposal only has promise if another problem is solved along side it - The festering sore that is size-imbalance.
This problem continues to ensure that healthy mechanics and balance cannot be introduced to Genesis.

Solve the size-imbalance and guild balancing, death mechanics and other initiatives may have more of a chance of actually working as intended.
And your solution is?

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 24 Jan 2014 12:19

ydred wrote:
Makfly wrote:
Unfortunately I think Gorboths proposal only has promise if another problem is solved along side it - The festering sore that is size-imbalance.
This problem continues to ensure that healthy mechanics and balance cannot be introduced to Genesis.

Solve the size-imbalance and guild balancing, death mechanics and other initiatives may have more of a chance of actually working as intended.
And your solution is?
Do a search of the forum. I and many others have written many posts on this issue with many different suggestions for solutions.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 24 Jan 2014 12:39

Or you could cut and paste? I tried the search it was worthless. I must use search poorly.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 24 Jan 2014 14:44

I think it's a really clever idea, Gorboth.

What if, for example, you replaced 25% stat reduction with 33-50% combat xp reduction? I don't have the necessary information to see which is a harsher penalty, but I like the idea of time-based recovery.

Would the playerbase consider a mix-and-match recovery idea? You can xp to help recovery up to a benefit of the equivalent of X days or you can idle?

I don't see a problem with 10 days. With my limited playing time lately that's a much better timeframe. I get the idea of being able to xp and having a bonus at the end, but for myths that won't be much, unless it's at a reduced brute.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 24 Jan 2014 15:09

And how about not losing anything upon death, but being unable to gain combat xp for x amount of time afterwards (x being relative to your size)?

This could potentially give death a strategic value as you could kill big people to prevent them from growing bigger for some time, allowing you to catch up. Multiple deaths would not increase the amount of time you can't xp, allowing for a bit of leeway in terms of exploration and trying things out. The other option is that each new death would simply reset the timer, but I'm not sure if that would be so good.

Potential drawbacks: people going totally inactive in the 'penalty period'. Which could be potentially quite huge. Perhaps there could be a way to reduce the timer (perhaps by killing other people? Or introducing special imbuements that can reduce it?).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 24 Jan 2014 15:22

ydred wrote:Or you could cut and paste? I tried the search it was worthless. I must use search poorly.
Copy paste? There are tons of posts on this subject, as I wrote, and I'm not here to service your laziness.
Go dig if you honestly want to know - For instance start at page 1 of the Suggestion subforum in the 9 page thread called 'Character size inflation', and go from there.
But knowing your past participation on this issue, I presume its just feigned ignorance rather than honest interest.

Back on topic - Will this suggestion get rid of the 'suicide to boost guild-Xp' trick? If so it would be an added benefit, if not then that issue still needs to be dealth with as well.
It seems that it will solve it, at first sight at least.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 24 Jan 2014 16:49

Makfly wrote:Looking at Gorboths proposal isolated from other issues, I think it is a good suggestion with potential.
One immediate thought I had when reading it was that players should recieve an XP-bonus to incentivize players to leave their guildhall and go kill stuff while they are penalized. This could be something like +15%* at the lower levels that scales down to 0% at higher levels.
This would be problematic. What is to keep someone from keeping themselves in a perpetual state of recovery and teaming with Myths to do terel trolls / mithas trolls / what have you? Under Gorboth's proposal with your change you could always have an xp boost right up to myth. This would make it so being in death recovery was the norm until myth, I'm afraid.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 24 Jan 2014 17:04

Another concern I have is that this situation, imo, will not be used in the way that it is envisioned. For example, the proposal is intended to make multiple deaths a non-issue by having them stack and all end at the end of the 10 day period. However, when you have guilds promising to withhold kills until death penalty returns, do you not think that the same meta-game style of play will apply to this death system? So now instead of having 6 deaths and a great brute reduction while you recover from them, you're stuck at 75% stats for 60 days as said players kill you 6 times, 10 days apart.

This becomes less problematic if you build in the solution I've been suggesting - allow players to gain some experience through combat (even up to X number of day's worth capped, as one poster suggested) while having stats come back INCREMENTALLY over the death period, rather than all at once at the end.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 24 Jan 2014 17:09

Ragni wrote:Got to say I don't like it either, I don't like the fact that it's a time based system where after 10 days of doing nothing for 2 hours a day you recover just as fast as someone who is active during the same time. I also question the need for such a change, the poll on this topic asked ask the question should we have a death penalty or not and the large majority of people said yes, surely the next question should be "Do we need to change from the existing system ?". It might be the majority of people don't think there is a need to change from the existing systems which we are all used to.
I absolutely believe a change is needed to the current (or, pre-death-holiday) system. However, if I were given the option between the current system and the proposal as it stands, I would take the current system.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 24 Jan 2014 19:32

I will repeat awesome idea
It solves some huge problems I see in Brute system that we have.

I want to add some coins for polishing it:
1. Idle period:
Maybe we should limit recovery time to "not idle" time:
Some ideas:
- 2 minutes without action -> idle
- 5 minutes in the same room -> idle
- 15 minutes in the same domain -> idle
- 20 minutes without killing a single mob -> idle

Just ideas... but standing idle in guildhalls shouldn't progress recovery time

2. Scaling:
Death penalty may scale with:
- size - myth will be punished more than expert (percentage does this scaling but maybe curve should be different)
- quest exp or brute - less brutal people will be punished less

3. Recovery:
I think that recovery should be gradual:
Lets say 30% penalty will go 2% less every day for 10 days:
30%
28%
26%
12%
10%
0% - recovered

4. Multiple deaths:
4a. I think that multiple deaths should not only be punished by decreasing stats but also increasing recovery period.
Recovery period should end in 10 days after the last death.
4b. Punishing by more than 50% of stats is too harsh. I guess Myth becoming an expert is good enough punishment.
May be to do it start from 20% with increment of 3% limited by 50%.

5. Imbuements/herb bonuses
I think limiting usage of imbuements is not good. Why imbuement will affect person on recovery in other way than any other person.
I think imbuement/herb/equipment stat bonuses should be effective in the same way.

Again, I am so supporting this idea... I didn't hear any better one

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/