Death Penalty Opinions

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the game return to having some kind of exp-penalty when a character dies?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 54

Amorana
Rising Hero

Re: Death Penalty Opinions

Post by Amorana » 03 Feb 2014 16:18

Kiara wrote:I do think there should be a sting when you die, something you would fight to avoid. Most games have some sort of penalty for losing. If you fail a level in Candy Crush you'll have to start over. Yes, even simple games like that has a penalty. It's a sting to start over, something you want to avoid. If you could just continue playing exactly where you failed / died without losing anything... well it would be kind of pointless I think.
Catching up, so if I make replies they might be a bit late to the game.

On this, I'll say - on Candy Crush, you start over that level. You don't lose a level. You don't have to repeat the level before. You don't have to go back three levels and start from there. You restart from the same spot.

Candy Crush has no "death penalty". To liken it to Genesis, it's like dying and losing your gear. You have to start your day over - you don't have to make up ground you'd already made previously.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 03 Feb 2014 16:22

Tive wrote: Like to make it more mysterious and fun for players, something they seek? Make the item have dynamic description so whenever player wears it it changes and adjusts thematically to the OCC guild of the winner, like some ancient dwarven armour, shiny pink robe for a morgul mage.. etc. It could offer stat boost for the particular race/guild too. Want to promote group pvp? Make the item have some kind of aura boosting those who are in team of the owner. And whenever he enters a room make sure everyone knows that some badass killer just arrived so he gets the attention.
A shiny pink robe would certainly convey the type of badass the mages are. :twisted:

But for real - this is the type of system I think could actually make pvp fun. Something outside of the box, and something that has meaning beyond "Oh, hey... I beat you up and made your gameplay for the next few weeks miserable. Look at me, I'm Billy Badass."
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 03 Feb 2014 17:01

Amorana wrote:
Kiara wrote:I do think there should be a sting when you die, something you would fight to avoid. Most games have some sort of penalty for losing. If you fail a level in Candy Crush you'll have to start over. Yes, even simple games like that has a penalty. It's a sting to start over, something you want to avoid. If you could just continue playing exactly where you failed / died without losing anything... well it would be kind of pointless I think.
Catching up, so if I make replies they might be a bit late to the game.

On this, I'll say - on Candy Crush, you start over that level. You don't lose a level. You don't have to repeat the level before. You don't have to go back three levels and start from there. You restart from the same spot.

Candy Crush has no "death penalty". To liken it to Genesis, it's like dying and losing your gear. You have to start your day over - you don't have to make up ground you'd already made previously.
Okay. Fair enough, it would be having to play the level before I guess, but I dont think your likeness is exactly correct either!:)

In a PVP situation I think losing your gears/herbs/components etc might be penalty enough in most cases. As in most cases you'll probably be geared up to the teeth and it would probably sting to lose the stuff.

But my main concern is the general "adventure" when traveling the world. I dont like the way its currently when nothing is really dangerous. If I die PVE now all I do in 99% of cases is run to my corpse, grab my stuff, and continue like nothing happened at all. Diablo 3-style. To continue the Candy Crush comparison it would be like, when you're out of moves, have to wait a few minutes, then hit a "continue" button and carry on exactly where you were. Not even restarting the level you're at, or losing a life.

It's the excitement of the world I am worried will be completely gone if we continue to have no penalty at all. Maybe if your stuff were lost in PVE as well, it might work. However, you could still walk around with crappy stuff and no herbs etc, when questing / exploring, and get around that.

Thats why I think we need some type of sting.

And you DONT want to fail a level in Candy Crush because you'd rather not start over the level, and you dont wanna lose that life either. Since you only get one / 30 min. And you'll have to buy / beg friends / use the date cheat (if its still possible), if you want more than that. So there IS a penalty to failing even in Candy Crush. Currently in Genesis there is none at all, except the 5 min or so it takes to go through death and get back to your corpse. Then you just carry without anything lost. Unless you die in some freaky place where you cant get to your corpse, or someone else happens to loot it first, but in most cases you will just be able to carry on with nothing lost. The risk of losing anything is very small. Way too small in my opinion. And even that small risk can be avoided in many cases, simply by bringing a friend and/or stashing your good herbs and good EQ when doing something potentially dangerous. Then the risk is eliminated completely.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 03 Feb 2014 19:43

Hmm... And how about death penatly being what you made since the last login? Still something, nothing to be overly worried about. This could be tweaked of course (like losing progress done the past 10 or something hours of gametime - newbies excluded). If you were idling during this 10 hours, you lose nothing for example.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/