Death Penalty Opinions

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the game return to having some kind of exp-penalty when a character dies?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 54

gorboth
Site Admin

Death Penalty Opinions

Post by gorboth » 22 Dec 2013 14:42

Hello all ...

As we draw to a close of the year, and to the stated duration of the experimental reprieve from the exp-penalty upon death, it is a good time to discuss where the community feels we should go from here. The Admin will make a decision as to how to move forward, but we would like to know what the general feeling is from the community as we prepare to do that.

Because we have to make some decision, I am making it a very black and white choice yes/no. Include your shades of grey in your posted comments about rationale, your personal experiences, etc.

Thanks!
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Re: Death Penalty Opinions

Post by Kiara » 22 Dec 2013 16:18

Well I voted yes. I think we should go back to an XP penalty, although I think it should be considerably lower than today. One fantastic, or somewhere in that
ballpark is my suggestion. Arcon suggested 2 or 3, and I guess I could be okay with that too. But somewhere around those levels I think is a good balance between something you want to avoid, something that adds excitement and danger, but does not make you wanna quit the game.

I also think death recovery is not needed with such a penalty. It just makes the system more complicated, and with such s small penalty is not really needed anyway.

I would also suggest another vote if a large majority wants to keep the death penalty. Maybe with options of "current penalty, "higher than now" and "lower than now" or something. No vote is final of course, its a wizard decision what to do, still I think it would be interesting to see what level of penalty people feel is ok.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 22 Dec 2013 16:46

My suggestion would be to have a penalty. A penalty-mechanism that helps over time to lessen the problem of size-differences that we have now.

Off the top of my head but certainly not completely thought through idea would be:
1% of your total Xp for each of your mortal level from Apprentice and up.
No death penalty below Apprentice level.
Recovery stays but have it last until you have recouped 100% of your lost Xp at Apprentice level, and then deduct 4% from the 100% for each mortal level above Apprentice.
That way you loose more the higher up you are, and its harder to make it back up. On the opposite end its easier to recover from deaths at the lower levels.

Over time such a mechanism could contribute to eliminating the insane size-difference problems we see today.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 22 Dec 2013 16:47

Alternatively, let death recovery be on a constant brute until recovered, that should eliminate the need of a third option. Recovering as a tiny player with extr. pas is quite fun since you see the fantas flying in an alarming speed. For me, it's kind of fun to take a dirtnap and recover when I see rapid progress towards a designated goal.

What if at recovery, you had a constant brute of, let's say meek?
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 22 Dec 2013 17:18

Makfly wrote:My suggestion would be to have a penalty. A penalty-mechanism that helps over time to lessen the problem of size-differences that we have now.

Off the top of my head but certainly not completely thought through idea would be:
1% of your total Xp for each of your mortal level from Apprentice and up.
No death penalty below Apprentice level.
Recovery stays but have it last until you have recouped 100% of your lost Xp at Apprentice level, and then deduct 4% from the 100% for each mortal level above Apprentice.
That way you loose more the higher up you are, and its harder to make it back up. On the opposite end its easier to recover from deaths at the lower levels.

Over time such a mechanism could contribute to eliminating the insane size-difference problems we see today.
Hmmm. Would not just players become more and more cautious the bigger they get? And if they DO get killed, want to play even less than now? And even if it did work, then those big people who dont participate in PVP at all would still be super-myths, and PVP players much smaller. That would also be weird?

I definitely agree size differences is a problem but I personally dont think PVP is what should keep sizes down. I dont think it will have the desired effect, but risks lessen the will to PVP, and make people who unwillingly die from PVP wanna quit the game even more the bigger they are...? And I dont think people will simpy "accept" being heroes just because then death penalty is lower. Especially not when others will still be myths.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Dec 2013 17:22

I still support my previous opinion that there should be death penalty but it shouldn't ever drop you below exp required to enter your last mortal level (once a myth = forever a myth). This way there would still be a penalty for dying but you couldn't abuse it to farm guildstat and other things as easily.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 22 Dec 2013 17:38

Zhar wrote:I still support my previous opinion that there should be death penalty but it shouldn't ever drop you below exp required to enter your last mortal level (once a myth = forever a myth). This way there would still be a penalty for dying but you couldn't abuse it to farm guildstat and other things as easily.
+1.

Nice idea.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 22 Dec 2013 17:49

Kas wrote:Alternatively, let death recovery be on a constant brute until recovered, that should eliminate the need of a third option. Recovering as a tiny player with extr. pas is quite fun since you see the fantas flying in an alarming speed. For me, it's kind of fun to take a dirtnap and recover when I see rapid progress towards a designated goal.

Zhar wrote:I still support my previous opinion that there should be death penalty but it shouldn't ever drop you below exp required to enter your last mortal level (once a myth = forever a myth). This way there would still be a penalty for dying but you couldn't abuse it to farm guildstat and other things as easily.

Either one of these works very well. Nice idea guys.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 22 Dec 2013 17:57

Manglor wrote:
Kas wrote:Alternatively, let death recovery be on a constant brute until recovered, that should eliminate the need of a third option. Recovering as a tiny player with extr. pas is quite fun since you see the fantas flying in an alarming speed. For me, it's kind of fun to take a dirtnap and recover when I see rapid progress towards a designated goal.

Either one of these works very well. Nice idea guys.
I like both of these ideas too. And my own idea of course.:)

One question for Kas: What if you die when you're recovering? Still meek? Or you become even less brutal?

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 22 Dec 2013 18:10

Myth forever ... and if you switch guilds ....

I prefer it somewhat as it is with a reduced death penalty. I would say about 10 fans.

Keep death recovery active for those who enjoy dying and regrowing. I know some who love to switch guilds and die down and grind back up only to switch again and again.

As for super myths that is simple, have recovery stop working past some modest level past myth .... perhaps what is considered mid myth (I wont put numbers up since it will just get deleted). If you die while bigger than this 'size' you can grow back up to this 'size' easily ... but beyond that ... will be hard.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/