Death Penalty Opinions

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the game return to having some kind of exp-penalty when a character dies?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 54

Jhael
Adept

Re: Death Penalty Opinions

Post by Jhael » 23 Dec 2013 23:00

Celephias wrote:That's true - I have only seen Amorana and Windemere in person. Interestingly enough, I would imagine if it were someone more Kas' size you would possibly feel better, just as Hektor or Nikiel would be fine with Celephias. I know size plays a role, but I'm not sure its all bad or contrary to RP; one just needs to be conscious of it depending on the situation. Certainly if a smallish MM slapped Hektor, I would expect to be picking up wraith specks from the ground...
I agree, with Kas I would feel safer to RP appropriately in person, for the same reasons Amorana mentioned but moreso as I am bit larger. Also, Kas and Jhael have a bit of a history. Overall would be very enjoyable. But, yes, against a mega-myth like you, Fluffy, Morrison, Etanukar(?), etc, etc I wouldn't feel nearly confident enough, unless the death penalty was forgiving enough to allow it, but harsh enough to dissuade it...if that makes any sense.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 23 Dec 2013 23:24

I did run into Celephias. He caught me in kind of a bad time. I was tired and did not put my best RP foot forward. I feel very bad about it after the fact and wish I had done differently. Alas, I can't be perfect all the time.

The reason I mention this is because I've never cared about dying at all. Even with penalty. At least with Windemere. He has been around a long time and has never been above Titan. Mostly because I've been RPing a Kender for quite some time and have often found certain experiences to be "interesting" or wonder what would happen if I did "this". Most of the time these endeavors resulted in death. Needless to say, I am also incredibly good at escaping. Never been one of PvP but RP I have always loved.

This is all a long way of saying that for me size doesn't matter for RP. If I die, I die. It would be nice to be able to backup tough words, but ultimately I would be willing to sacrifice my character and their experience for the sake of roleplay. It would also be nice to not be small forever due to the fact that I die frequently. (I've been lucky to not die for a little while now! My "experiments" have been successful!)

Let me also issue a Formal apology to Celephias here on the forum for my terrible roleplay encounter with him in game. I apologize. I assure you, I will do better next time.

Windemere

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 23 Dec 2013 23:59

Windemere wrote: Let me also issue a Formal apology to Celephias here on the forum for my terrible roleplay encounter with him in game. I apologize. I assure you, I will do better next time.
An apology is absolutely unnecessary. You didn't break char but seemed busy. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure we'll get a next time....

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 02 Jan 2014 18:37

I voted yes, we need some kind of penalty for dying.

While saying that I can also confess that I have spent over 6 months trying to recover 2 deaths and I'm still not close to fully recovered. This is for two reasons, I'm not a member of a grinding favored guild and I think the penalty is abit to harsh.

Someone had a great idea that we keep the current xp loss and while grinding back to your previous size you will stay at touchy(an example) for the whole recovery session. This will speed up recovery and skip those annoying/time consuming levels after very brutal....

However, if we do this we also need some kind of recovery limit on guildstat, todays system is silly the way guildstat can be grind and this csuggested change would make it even worse.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 02 Jan 2014 18:43

Chanele wrote:I voted yes, we need some kind of penalty for dying.

While saying that I can also confess that I have spent over 6 months trying to recover 2 deaths and I'm still not close to fully recovered. This is for two reasons, I'm not a member of a grinding favored guild and I think the penalty is abit to harsh.

Someone had a great idea that we keep the current xp loss and while grinding back to your previous size you will stay at touchy(an example) for the whole recovery session. This will speed up recovery and skip those annoying/time consuming levels after very brutal....

However, if we do this we also need some kind of recovery limit on guildstat, todays system is silly the way guildstat can be grind and this csuggested change would make it even worse.
I think guildstat should be independent of brute. Then people dont have to go all suicidal when switching guilds either. Since it wont be a benefit in doing so. It would also mean new guild members cant just pass older ones in guild stat in a few days.

I think it would be more reasonable that way!

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 02 Jan 2014 19:22

Kiara wrote: I think guildstat should be independent of brute. Then people dont have to go all suicidal when switching guilds either. Since it wont be a benefit in doing so. It would also mean new guild members cant just pass older ones in guild stat in a few days.

This idea was said already couple of times. No response from authorities though

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 02 Jan 2014 19:32

zar wrote:
Kiara wrote: I think guildstat should be independent of brute. Then people dont have to go all suicidal when switching guilds either. Since it wont be a benefit in doing so. It would also mean new guild members cant just pass older ones in guild stat in a few days.

This idea was said already couple of times. No response from authorities though
I know, I said it myself before too.:)

But I dont really know how guild XP works anyway... or what good it does... if it does any good? Its one of the things I would like to see some more.. transparency. So you'd at least know if and what it does in your particular guild.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 02 Jan 2014 23:02

Kiara wrote:But I dont really know how guild XP works anyway... or what good it does... if it does any good? Its one of the things I would like to see some more.. transparency. So you'd at least know if and what it does in your particular guild.
From asking a wizard OOC, the way it works now is gxp matters up until a certain point. For example, if you gstat is under 150 (random number) then your gstat for guild functions (be it damage, healing, etc.) is your gstat. If over 150 (again, random number) then your abilities function still as "150"

Example: If gxp<150, gxp=gxp. If gxp>150, gxp=150.

Make sense?

Becka
Apprentice

Post by Becka » 03 Jan 2014 01:54

Manglor wrote:
Kiara wrote:But I dont really know how guild XP works anyway... or what good it does... if it does any good? Its one of the things I would like to see some more.. transparency. So you'd at least know if and what it does in your particular guild.
From asking a wizard OOC, the way it works now is gxp matters up until a certain point. For example, if you gstat is under 150 (random number) then your gstat for guild functions (be it damage, healing, etc.) is your gstat. If over 150 (again, random number) then your abilities function still as "150"

Example: If gxp<150, gxp=gxp. If gxp>150, gxp=150.

Make sense?

Yes. Evariste Galois would be proud! : )

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 03 Jan 2014 16:32

castaneda wrote:The best solution IMO

Even out the difference of the benefit from recovery no matter if you are a hardcore RP or powergamer that only play once a week/month or plays 24/7

How to do that?

"recovery over time" a topic we have seen before.... What happened with an excellent idea like that?
It will make you autorecover over time even if not logged on. Though combined with the existing recovery of some sort, so that you have the oppotunity to recover faster if you are active.

Regarding the difference for big players in recovery earlier mentioned.
I would be sad if I as a myth lost the oppotunity to recover back to full size like everyone else. But I think it should require more for me to recover than smaller players.
Big players could get less brutehelp on recovery or/and autorecover over time could be removed for myths?

What do you say?
There are things about this that I do like, and I even began coding it at one point. But I am not entirely sure how it should work to encourage the sort of culture we want. Some important questions:
  • Does the week of recovery happen bit-by-bit or all-at-the-end?
  • If bit-by-bit, what would that look like?
  • What happens if a player goes after hardcore exp while the bit-by-bit is taking place?
  • What happens if a player goes after hardcore exp if it is supposed to happen all-at-the-end?
  • If you can get everything you need simply by logging out and waiting, would people be more likely to stay away, or remain in the game?
These questions are very important, in my estimation. I would not want to create a system where we lose players during the recovery period, and reward inaction above (or even equal to) action.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/