Invisibility and Blocking Rooms

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amorana
Rising Hero

Invisibility and Blocking Rooms

Post by Amorana » 14 Jan 2014 17:30

Not that I'm one to usually yell "nerf this or that", but it seems to me a bit odd that invisibility is allowed to bypass certain blocking rooms. This becomes especially problematic when said blocking rooms are directly in the path of an item that is one of the better protection items in the game.

Could we perhaps discuss whether invisibility should allow one to essentially bypass a mechanism that is supposed to be part of the challenge of getting a piece of gear?
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Kas
Legend

Re: Invisibility and Blocking Rooms

Post by Kas » 14 Jan 2014 17:40

Amorana wrote:Not that I'm one to usually yell "nerf this or that", but it seems to me a bit odd that invisibility is allowed to bypass certain blocking rooms. This becomes especially problematic when said blocking rooms are directly in the path of an item that is one of the better protection items in the game.

Could we perhaps discuss whether invisibility should allow one to essentially bypass a mechanism that is supposed to be part of the challenge of getting a piece of gear?
I think it depends on what's blocking the person using invis.

Is it the room? or some npc?

Usually, atleast to my experience, if it blocks noninvis, the invis ones also get blocked, with a few exceptions(coded so some Npc responsible for the blocking ignores stuff he can't see).
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 14 Jan 2014 17:47

Kas wrote:
Amorana wrote:Not that I'm one to usually yell "nerf this or that", but it seems to me a bit odd that invisibility is allowed to bypass certain blocking rooms. This becomes especially problematic when said blocking rooms are directly in the path of an item that is one of the better protection items in the game.

I think it depends on what's blocking the person using invis.

Is it the room? or some npc?

Usually, atleast to my experience, if it blocks noninvis, the invis ones also get blocked, with a few exceptions(coded so some Npc responsible for the blocking ignores stuff he can't see).
In this case, it's an NPC, and the NPC says something along the lines of "I'll get you, you worm eating wraith." Meanwhile, non-invisible player proceeds to fight the NPCs in question only to later see the invisible player leave the blocked room after the gear-holding NPC is dead.

My problem is two-fold:

1) This becomes a piece of (high quality) gear that said invisible guild has a bit of a crazy advantage on (given that killing the npcs leading up to it takes quite some time, and the trip to the location takes quite awhile), which leads to a situation of almost unilateral hoarding of this piece (I can't even choose to fight the player who is camping the gear... they get past while I remain blocked) and

2) The NPC can see the player... And if an NPC is standing in front of a door blocking it... You can't just walk through him. Even Bilbo with the one ring couldn't walk through Smaug.

Edit:

I like invisibility as an ability - but one that allows a person to remain unattacked in hostile areas, as a pvp ability, as a surprise factor ability. Having it be a quick pass to hard to get items breaks the game, in my opinion.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 14 Jan 2014 17:52

I have seen NPCs that are 'guarding' something block regardless of invis, non invis, dark, etc. I have also seen situations where an NPC or group of NPCs would only block once they became aware of you. Like a bunch of soldiers playing cards, looking up and seeing an intruder, and then block them from proceeding.

Edit - I also would expect sneak to work similarly. If you sneak in successfully, you can proceed, if not, then you're blocked.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 14 Jan 2014 18:00

Your point nr.2 depends on more factors than just a guard standing before a door/doorway.

For example, physical size of the guard, doorway, poisitioning, lightning etc, then the nature of
the invis used, not entirely unlike how Bilbo vs Smaug in the latest hobbitmovie.

However, I think the main issue is how it's coded. Genesis has tons of encounters like this that
ignores all thematics or environmental details for example, so it probably boils down to what
the coder envisioned/wanted the place to function.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 14 Jan 2014 18:01

Celephias wrote:I have seen NPCs that are 'guarding' something block regardless of invis, non invis, dark, etc. I have also seen situations where an NPC or group of NPCs would only block once they became aware of you. Like a bunch of soldiers playing cards, looking up and seeing an intruder, and then block them from proceeding.

Edit - I also would expect sneak to work similarly. If you sneak in successfully, you can proceed, if not, then you're blocked.
I definitely do not disagree with you. It makes 'logical' sense that an invisible person would be able to stroll past guards in certain situations. It is frustrating due the combination of circumstances, though. The fact that quantity of items is limited is specifically frustrating, since it's very easy for some guild to get to the item and very difficult for others.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 14 Jan 2014 18:01

Amorana, did you personally encounter/feel cheated by this?

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 14 Jan 2014 18:04

Kas wrote:Amorana, did you personally encounter/feel cheated by this?
Yes, actually. There have been several occasions where I have been in the area with other individuals attempting to gain this piece of gear only to watch the above described situation occur. Last Armageddon, in fact, it happened to Jhael and I three times in a single night. On one of those occasions, Celephias forgot his robe. :-P

Edit:

Celephias: Those thick arms don't make up for the chicken legs. You have to workout your lower body too!

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 14 Jan 2014 18:08

Amorana wrote:
Kas wrote:Amorana, did you personally encounter/feel cheated by this?
Yes, actually. There have been several occasions where I have been in the area with other individuals attempting to gain this piece of gear only to watch the above described situation occur. Last Armageddon, in fact, it happened to Jhael and I three times in a single night. On one of those occasions, Celephias forgot his robe. :-P

Edit:

Celephias: Those thick arms don't make up for the chicken legs. You have to workout your lower body too!
Indeed. I don't know that I would go so far as to say 'cheated' (personally), but definitely frustrated. For me, it's hard to argue against the validity of the situation, as I said in my previous post. The guards aren't guarding a doorway, or any such thing, it makes perfect sense that guards wouldn't be able to see an invisible person. Doesn't change the level of frustration, though.

Also, Jhael has experienced this many, many, many times alone.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 14 Jan 2014 18:10

So, having an ability to get a quick access to some npc or area breaks the game. Is this your opinion? Just asking so we are clear on this.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/