Parry and Defense

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kiara
Champion

Re: Parry and Defense

Post by Kiara » 28 Feb 2014 18:33

At some point I was told parry is useful when fighting more than one enemy. But I really dont know for sure what it does.

Things like this I think should be a little more open. I've always felt that. So you can do "help combat" and get some general info about what skills stats do etc. Same with a "help magic" command, etc. No numbers, no specifics, but just general info like "The more parry you have the more blows will miss" and "The more defence you have the less the hits will hurt". Just making that up now, thats probably not how it works really. But some little info line like that in the help files I think would be good to have.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 28 Feb 2014 18:59

My understanding was this:

Defence is your armour class - The higher your defence the less likely you are to be hit, better opportunity to dodge, and less damage is taken when you are hit

Parry is weapon specific - This is based on your ability with a particular weapon combined with your skill in parry. You will block blows/be missed more often when using this particular weapon.

defence requires not weapon and provides base AC that can be built on with armours

Parry provides ability to block/have blows miss, but only if you have parry skill and it increases depending on the weapon (better you are with it better you parry)

Windemere

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Feb 2014 19:04

Windemere wrote:My understanding was this:

Defence is your armour class - The higher your defence the less likely you are to be hit, better opportunity to dodge, and less damage is taken when you are hit

Parry is weapon specific - This is based on your ability with a particular weapon combined with your skill in parry. You will block blows/be missed more often when using this particular weapon.

defence requires not weapon and provides base AC that can be built on with armours

Parry provides ability to block/have blows miss, but only if you have parry skill and it increases depending on the weapon (better you are with it better you parry)

Windemere
Aye I understand it as that, not sure how heavy ass armours would make you able to dodge, absorb hits on the armor? Absolutely, should have been 3 skills, and armours for absorbing lowers defence somewhat based on the armours weight ofc.
That way for example neidar could have a high skill in armour usage, moving in those damn things is definately a feat so it should be a skill, and guilds like monks (as they have now) high def instead but they should not be so proficient in armour usage. And ofc without a decent skills in armour usage you'd become tired faster and the armours would wear FAST. Absorbtion would be more like a skill of using armours to deflect blows and somethimed roll with the punches so the blows didnt bite to deep.

I think it would be a bitch to code tho, not 100% sure

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 28 Feb 2014 19:08

Hm, so parry isnt extra helpful against multiple opponents as I always thought?

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Feb 2014 19:29

Kiara wrote:Hm, so parry isnt extra helpful against multiple opponents as I always thought?

Not from what I've noticed atleast, I tend to parry and dodge equally

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 28 Feb 2014 21:48

I think you overcomplicate things...

Defence = chance to dodge an attack (based on multiple factors, but that's your base skill for dodging stuff)
Parry = chance to parry an attack (as above, but only works with a weapon and against weapons)

That would be my guess (and how I viewed it since day 1 of my mudding career). I'm too lazy to check it out, and even if I did I couldn't share my findings without approval from the higher-ups.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 03 Mar 2014 15:38

lots of skills contribute to your ability to defend against attacks. defence, parry, blind combat fighting, etc.

The main difference between parry and defence is just that defence is always "on/active", while parry is only "on/active" when you are wielding weapons. If a monk attacks a knight wielding a sword, the knight still benefits from the parry skill.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/