2 week limit on potions, components and herbs

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

What should we do about the 2 week limit on components?

Keep it as it is, it works fine.
6%
Keep it, but add optional e-mail reminder a few days before you lose your stuff.
9%
Remove it, it's just annoying to lose your stuff and it does little good.
84%

Total votes: 32

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: 2 week limit on potions, components and herbs

Post by Cherek » 17 Apr 2014 13:32

Laurel wrote:
Cherek wrote:Weapons and armours dont save at all, unless they glow, then they save once, but stop glowing afterwards.
Coins and food(I think?) save forever unless you die.
Herbs, potions and leftovers also save when you quit, but you lose them if you dont login for two weeks.
The above applies only if you quit in a start room, otherwise you lose everything.
Did you get that out of code reading? Surely not from playing the game, as it's not accurate.
During my 15+ years here I've played a mortal 99% of the time, which is why I have never been that successful as a wizard. I simply enjoyed playing too much. Recently I decided to instead take on the role of being responsible for promoting the game as I enjoy playing less and less, simply because the game is so empty most of the time.

I do not have access to code regarding how things save, and why would I? It is completely irrelevant to my current responsibilities. Actually, I think in my case its better to NOT have access to that much code, or read the code I have access to unless I really need to, since for promotion it's more important for me to see the game from a player perspective. And like I said, I've been an active player much much more than an active wizard, both in the past and now. So maybe I am a lousy _player_ for not knowing every detail about exactly what and how all items save. But that kind of proves my point too... which is that it's probably hard for a new player to understand how it saving of items works, when apparently not even ancient ones like myself seem to know it 100%.

Oh and by the way, if you spot something incorrect and think it's important to correct it, try to friendly polite approach. I mean we're like what, 50-100 people who still play actively? It might be worth a shot to try to help each other instead constantly fight about every little thing. That clearly isn't making the game much better... so maybe we should try another approach...? I gave it a shot now by responding politely to your rather insulting post even though my first thought was to give you some smartass reply. But It feels pretty okay to be nice too!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Apr 2014 13:42

Amorana and Celephias:

Yes a spellcaster in Genesis can use a lot of components in one day, and your numbers are even pretty low compared to some more of the more, persistent, powergrinding spellcasters out there. So yeah, making components not save, or having a pretty low limit on how much you can save would definitely be a big change for many of our spellcasters.

On the other hand, by having absolutely no limit on how long or how much you can save, we will probably after some time see herbs and components become similar to money. Just like some players have way more money than they could ever spend, some people will have hundreds of thousands of herbs. Good or bad? I dont know, but think it would be logical to have SOME type of limit on how much you can carry. Sure you can carry way much more items and coins than what's realistic, but even if it's a high limit we still have a limit on how much you can carry. Even potions will make you pretty burdened after awhile. I think it would be only logical to also have a limit on how much herbs you could realistically have in your pockets, and I dont think the weight factor is enough when it comes to herbs?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 17 Apr 2014 15:25

Cherek wrote:I mean we're like what, 50-100 people who still play actively?
Made my day.

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 17 Apr 2014 15:52

Cherek wrote:Amorana and Celephias:

Yes a spellcaster in Genesis can use a lot of components in one day, and your numbers are even pretty low compared to some more of the more, persistent, powergrinding spellcasters out there. So yeah, making components not save, or having a pretty low limit on how much you can save would definitely be a big change for many of our spellcasters.

On the other hand, by having absolutely no limit on how long or how much you can save, we will probably after some time see herbs and components become similar to money. Just like some players have way more money than they could ever spend, some people will have hundreds of thousands of herbs. Good or bad? I dont know, but think it would be logical to have SOME type of limit on how much you can carry. Sure you can carry way much more items and coins than what's realistic, but even if it's a high limit we still have a limit on how much you can carry. Even potions will make you pretty burdened after awhile. I think it would be only logical to also have a limit on how much herbs you could realistically have in your pockets, and I dont think the weight factor is enough when it comes to herbs?
I'm not objecting to a limit per se, especially from the playability/immersion perspective. I thought I had left room for that in my post. What I was commenting on was that I don't believe there is a technical basis for such a limit (which I may also be wrong about not having any access to code).

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Apr 2014 16:08

Celephias wrote:
Cherek wrote:Amorana and Celephias:

I'm not objecting to a limit per se, especially from the playability/immersion perspective. I thought I had left room for that in my post. What I was commenting on was that I don't believe there is a technical basis for such a limit (which I may also be wrong about not having any access to code).
Yes I understood that's what you meant. I dont know more than you about any potential technical limits to herbs, that's for someone else with that knowledge to answer. It seems extremely obvious most players would prefer we remove this two week limit though, and if we did, question becomes should we have any type of limit, and if so, what limit should that be?

So hypothetically, if we were to have a limit on the amount of herbs you can carry, what would you, as perhaps the most experienced spellcaster player we have(?) think would be a reasonable limit?

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 17 Apr 2014 18:50

Thousands of potions.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 17 Apr 2014 18:58

Kas wrote:Thousands of potions.
My point: What are you talking about? Limit? How many you use? Random statement?

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 17 Apr 2014 19:30

I will estimate several hundred secondary potions and atleast 300-1000 primary for a day powerplayiing.

1000 primary potions equal minimum 3000-4000 components, and should give a mage a day or two with continuous capacity to kill stuff, unsustainable ofcourse.

The speed you kill stuff (how long the cooldown is, how potent the spells are etc)dictates your overall consumption vs time. so it's way smaller for Kas than for example Morrison.

If there was a limit, I would put it somewhere near 3k.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Karpath
Adventurer

Post by Karpath » 17 Apr 2014 19:51

Kas wrote:I will estimate several hundred secondary potions and atleast 300-1000 primary for a day powerplayiing.

1000 primary potions equal minimum 3000-4000 components, and should give a mage a day or two with continuous capacity to kill stuff, unsustainable ofcourse.

The speed you kill stuff (how long the cooldown is, how potent the spells are etc)dictates your overall consumption vs time. so it's way smaller for Kas than for example Morrison.

If there was a limit, I would put it somewhere near 3k.
Karpath has about 2K herbs when he goes on a rampage so yes, 3000 herbs could be a limit.
It is the fluttering of moths to the flame that amuses me.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 17 Apr 2014 20:59

I think we have already determined that there doesn't really _need_ to be a limit on number of components at all.

We are also far off the point of there being a 2 week limit (not logging in) before you lose your stuff. Sometimes things happen and it is hard to find time to login. OR you are travelling for 2 weeks and don't have a computer or don't bother to login to genesis. I think that there should not be a limit on this stuff before it vanishes from your inventory. There is no need for it.

Having been through it before, it is annoying and a deterrent from playing to know that you'll have to spend your first day recovering components.

Windemere

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/