2 week limit on potions, components and herbs

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

What should we do about the 2 week limit on components?

Keep it as it is, it works fine.
6%
Keep it, but add optional e-mail reminder a few days before you lose your stuff.
9%
Remove it, it's just annoying to lose your stuff and it does little good.
84%

Total votes: 32

Creed

Re: 2 week limit on potions, components and herbs

Post by Creed » 12 Apr 2014 14:19

Zhar wrote:Personally I'm against herbs and leftovers being spell components. I'd rather see each magic guild have a shop with components where you can (have to) restock on needed stuff (pinch of sulphur, piece of white cloth etc. etc.) and only very few spells actually requiring components you can't buy in said shop and have to find in the realms somewhere (not herbs/gems/leftovers).
I agree so very much on this one!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 12 Apr 2014 15:49

gorboth wrote:
cotillion wrote:I think we've mistakenly started down this path of things saving...
Time to decide if we want items to save or not.

Some items save sometimes is not a good policy.
Meaning, perhaps no herbs should save at all, or potions, or anything other than quest rewards and guild items, etc? Is that what you mean by this distinction?

G.
It may not be the most logical system, I agree there.

It's interesting when you talk to real newbies on the nline. The question always comes up: "Will my stuff save when I quit?" or "Why doesnt my stuff save when I quit?", or similar, and then someone starts explaining:

Weapons and armours dont save at all, unless they glow, then they save once, but stop glowing afterwards.
Coins and food(I think?) save forever unless you die.
Herbs, potions and leftovers also save when you quit, but you lose them if you dont login for two weeks.
The above applies only if you quit in a start room, otherwise you lose everything.

I guess we have grown used to it, but it's becomes pretty apparent when listening to someone explaining our system for a new player, that it's maybe not the simplest and most logical system.

With our current way of handling herbs, potions and component in magic guilds though I think if we are to make nothing save, we would need some type of "locker" system as Kitriana suggested. Otherwise magic users will probably be at a big disadvantage...? Or have to keep their stuff in racks and packs in guilds etc. I think I once suggested giving the Gnomes a "vault" where you can put gems, leftovers, potions, herbs etc. The problem with that, if it's a problem, would probably mean people would end up with hundreds of thousands of herbs and stuff after awhile... Not sure if that's good either? Unless we of course limit the size of the vault. Which may be the best solution perhaps?

As for the vote, it's extremely one-sided. It's rare to see a vote this one-sided. So its pretty apparent nobody really likes how the current two week limit works.

Personally I feel it's definitely worth exploring ideas for using the email-addresses we have but do not currently use, but maybe not for this. I'd rather see an optional reminder for wednesday quest or something. So you can chose to get a mail at 00.00 every wednesday, but the default is off. That rewards playing, but its no huge loss if you miss it either. Losing your herbs and other components for not playing is just a punishment. And a reminder saying "Don't forget to play Genesis or we take away your stuff!" doesn't sound very positive... while a "It's wednesday again, and that means quest XP!" mail is probably more fun to get?

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 15 Apr 2014 21:16

I would think that with the 'new' stacking system, that the load on the game isn't actually very great. Obviously, I'm no wiz and maybe one can comment - I can imagine that having 1 suranie in my pouch or 10,000 suranie in my pouch takes up the same amount of space in terms of game resources.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 15 Apr 2014 21:25

Celephias wrote:I would think that with the 'new' stacking system, that the load on the game isn't actually very great. Obviously, I'm no wiz and maybe one can comment - I can imagine that having 1 suranie in my pouch or 10,000 suranie in my pouch takes up the same amount of space in terms of game resources.
Except for the fact that each herb has a decay timer that needs to be tracked individually.

Personally I'd be all for no limit on how long you can linkdead with herbs, but I'd limit the amount of herbs that get stored with you to say 500. This would ensure that you don't have to start from scratch after a long hiatus but prevent people from going away with thousands of herbs. Most guilds that use herbs usually have a herb shop/herb rack in their halls (and even some guilds that don't use them have them), I'd like people to make use of that instead of being selfish and hugging more herbs than they can use in a year.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 15 Apr 2014 21:32

Celephias wrote:I would think that with the 'new' stacking system, that the load on the game isn't actually very great. Obviously, I'm no wiz and maybe one can comment - I can imagine that having 1 suranie in my pouch or 10,000 suranie in my pouch takes up the same amount of space in terms of game resources.
Probaby true. Some quick research shows that the LPC language is C-based. I don't know how heavily modified it is, but my guess is that amounts are kept track of with an int data type, which is defined as being 'at least 16 bits'. I'm stabbing in the dark at what data type is being used, but if it is an int, than problems would only occur if you acquired more than 65,535 of a heaping item. (You could acquire 2,147,483,647 of an item if it is a long int)

Regardless, the point is that a static amount of storage is allocated for numeric data types. It's always N bits. So, yes, the difference between 1 and 10,000 means nothing for storage.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 16 Apr 2014 01:49

Zhar wrote:
Except for the fact that each herb has a decay timer that needs to be tracked individually.

Personally I'd be all for no limit on how long you can linkdead with herbs, but I'd limit the amount of herbs that get stored with you to say 500. This would ensure that you don't have to start from scratch after a long hiatus but prevent people from going away with thousands of herbs. Most guilds that use herbs usually have a herb shop/herb rack in their halls (and even some guilds that don't use them have them), I'd like people to make use of that instead of being selfish and hugging more herbs than they can use in a year.
No, this is not true. Herbs timers were scrapped when herbs became a heaped item to make recovery less ridiculous at login.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 16 Apr 2014 04:02

Zhar wrote:

As a minor correction, I could use 500 herbs of the same type in a week easily. Whether or not the powers that be wish to limit it to whatever value for whatever reason, I just wanted you to know that some of us who use herbs, can use quite a bit of them and its not so much being selfish or hogging. Additionally, if the system load is the same for 2 or 200,000 of the same herb, if we want to grub for them, perhaps its ok to hold onto them.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 16 Apr 2014 20:12

Jhael wrote:
Probaby true. Some quick research shows that the LPC language is C-based. I don't know how heavily modified it is, but my guess is that amounts are kept track of with an int data type, which is defined as being 'at least 16 bits'. I'm stabbing in the dark at what data type is being used, but if it is an int, than problems would only occur if you acquired more than 65,535 of a heaping item. (You could acquire 2,147,483,647 of an item if it is a long int)

Regardless, the point is that a static amount of storage is allocated for numeric data types. It's always N bits. So, yes, the difference between 1 and 10,000 means nothing for storage.
Challenge Accepted.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 16 Apr 2014 20:13

Celephias wrote:
Zhar wrote:

As a minor correction, I could use 500 herbs of the same type in a week easily. Whether or not the powers that be wish to limit it to whatever value for whatever reason, I just wanted you to know that some of us who use herbs, can use quite a bit of them and its not so much being selfish or hogging. Additionally, if the system load is the same for 2 or 200,000 of the same herb, if we want to grub for them, perhaps its ok to hold onto them.

Exactly. It'd be REAL easy for me to blow through 300 mana herbs in a single play session, depending on who I'm with, what we're doing, and the difficulty. 500 can be relatively small, depending on how you're using them.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 17 Apr 2014 06:21

Cherek wrote:Weapons and armours dont save at all, unless they glow, then they save once, but stop glowing afterwards.
Coins and food(I think?) save forever unless you die.
Herbs, potions and leftovers also save when you quit, but you lose them if you dont login for two weeks.
The above applies only if you quit in a start room, otherwise you lose everything.
Did you get that out of code reading? Surely not from playing the game, as it's not accurate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/