Tower of Arms

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Bromen
Champion

Tower of Arms

Post by Bromen » 26 Oct 2014 10:23

So I've heard what Mortis had to say on the matter, but I'd like to hear from some other wizards as to why the loot from this place is destroyed when a higher level cleans out the tower. Since when, and should we started expecting, is Genesis 'zoned' for players of a certain size? Why doesn't this also happen in greenhorne friendly environments like Gont or Wights?

Personally, I thought being able to grind somewhere there were potential imbues for slots not commonly filled was a good thing. The xp was about right and the loot was above average. I'd like to hear an explanation and how it fits into the balance of things.

-Bromen

Laurel

Re: Tower of Arms

Post by Laurel » 26 Oct 2014 11:36

actually - how does this approach feed into ogres?

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 26 Oct 2014 13:46

This isn't the first area zoned for specific mortal sizes. The newbie dungeon beneath the orc temple in Sparkle also does so. In that area, the way I handled the problem was to introduce the amulet that shrinks players down. Mortis came up with the idea to have stuff go "poof" when creatures died due to a deathstrike by a player above a given threshhold.

I thought it was a pretty innovative idea. What is wrong with having certain zones be handled this way? The answer to why it isn't done in many other locations is that those were coded long ago and not coded like this. Having it happen in a new zone is a modern choice, and does not indicate global policy, but rather the desire to want to try something on a specific new area.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 26 Oct 2014 13:48

Genesis wizards have alot of freedom in how they design their areas.
In the Tower of Arms one approach is used, with the ogres the old tired give-more-exp-and-the-players-will-come theory is used yet again.

If I have to choose I much prefer the first approach.
On the ogres, have fun while it lasts.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 27 Oct 2014 19:48

Alright, thanks for the explanation. It is a great area and I wish it was there when I came back to play.

-B

Mortis

Post by Mortis » 01 Nov 2014 16:35

This game is hard to balance. The presence of people with god powers makes it tough to envision a place for say mid-levels to flourish without being abusible. If you want to introduce an area for lower level folk to get xp and good loot to level the playing field, what are you going to do when a myth comes in, clears the place out in a flash, and gets a reward that warrants legitimate complaint?

1) Make it less rewarding for everyone.
2) Target people.

#2 is tough to swallow, I know, but it doesn't hurt the smaller players this place was designed to help. It's already easy for myths to make money, and most of them have more than enough. Smaller folk need help not myths, so I went with option 2.

It doesn't mean myths can't find anything of value here anymore, but it does mean the chance has been balanced.

The only consolation I can offer is that this is only the first of 6 killing areas planned for the area, the rest of which are for bigger folk. They won't be a breeze though, I warn you.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 01 Nov 2014 20:53

It's the chance of losing a good imbue that vexes me. I'm still promoting the area to mid level folks as much as I can, but I'd like to think if I went there any imbues that could've dropped aren't destroyed because I'm almost a myth.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 01 Nov 2014 21:39

But that's a perfect example. This area was designed to cater to the needs of smaller to mid-level players, not be a smorgasbord of imbuement potentials for myths who can just come in and hoover everything up.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 02 Nov 2014 15:32

One may toss in other alternatives, like: The xp, loot and drops given gradually changes to zero once the player are over a certain average in size, making the area pointless to grind or farm(imbues, leftovers, whatever), or have entrancechecks based on the same, avg. Too big? Can't enter and vice versa.

It beats for example to single out individual players or guilds.

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 26 Nov 2014 01:03

Nerull wrote:One may toss in other alternatives, like: The xp, loot and drops given gradually changes to zero once the player are over a certain average in size, making the area pointless to grind or farm(imbues, leftovers, whatever), or have entrancechecks based on the same, avg. Too big? Can't enter and vice versa.

It beats for example to single out individual players or guilds.
There is an area south of Pelargir that has the size-check. Once you outgrow it, you're out... And there's never been heard any complaints about that ;)
Flee you fools!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/