Why do some people stop playing when a conflict arises?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Why do some people stop playing when a conflict arises?

Post by Cherek » 25 Nov 2014 22:17

Snowrose wrote: As nice as the thought that any guild can war with any other. The guild alignments are big restriction in who can war or ally with whom. its hard coded if you assist evil players or kill good people you lose alignment and if your guild is sencitive to alignment you can be booted from it without notice. and good luck getting back if if booted for that reason.
so any wars with the same alignment guilds or any alliance with opposing aligned guilds have to be in rp and info only.
Such "harsh" code is only present in a few guilds I think, and even so you could work around most of it by being careful of who leads the team etc? And you'll just have to make sure to unwield in time and let Bromen get the kill on the goodies in your Rangers and BDA vs Knights and MM war.:)

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 25 Nov 2014 23:44

Yeah its mostly in the good aligned and older guilds. And I think most good aligned guilds avoid conflict in general so probibly wouldnt want to do the wield unwield dance when its just easier to stick to your own or argue verbally.
but its a nice dream that genesis guilds have freedom to choose like that. just most wouldnt be willing to try to outsmart the code like that these days especially considering that kinda thing would be very harshly viewed by peers.

back in the genesis hayday when a goblin could join the hin warroirs(guardians of the shire) or a calian could viably be a secret agent for the AA. (older players know who im refering to) but back then there were less hard coded race/alignment bans. stuff like that was player enforced.

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 26 Nov 2014 00:52

Cherek wrote:Icarus: When I said natural enemies I was referring to Snowrose's story about a ranger being attacked and killed by a mage, and then leaving the game because he/she was not expecting it.
That's the point, Cherek. It wasn't a mage. It was Cassius and Ilrahil, two legends attacking and killing an expert who had no idea what was happening before he had lost his life, items he had proudly just managed to obtain through heavy questing (and that of course was looted by the two) and felt heavily dismayed. No mage was involved in this,
Flee you fools!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Nov 2014 01:05

Icarus wrote:
Cherek wrote:Icarus: When I said natural enemies I was referring to Snowrose's story about a ranger being attacked and killed by a mage, and then leaving the game because he/she was not expecting it.
That's the point, Cherek. It wasn't a mage. It was Cassius and Ilrahil, two legends attacking and killing an expert who had no idea what was happening before he had lost his life, items he had proudly just managed to obtain through heavy questing (and that of course was looted by the two) and felt heavily dismayed. No mage was involved in this,
I think you are misunderstanding something here.

I am only replying to what Snowrose wrote earlier in this thread about a previous incident. It has nothing to do with the current conflict as I understood it, but was merely an example of something that happened in the past, and related to the topic of people sometimes quitting the game when killed.

This topic is about why people fairly often feel the need to stop playing when wars break out and/or when they are killed in PVP. It's not about the BDA/ranger conflict specifically, and who killed who and why etc. There's plenty of threads for that already.:)

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 26 Nov 2014 02:18

On a contrasting note,
A lot of people also return and login more frequently when there is drama and intrigue in the air
as long as people can keep from randomly ganking people that are not involved. War can be good for business.
easpecially if everyone involved is into it and can keep ic and ooc seprate which is rare in genesis

as a RP tip if you do want to have a good IC war it does really help to communicate ooc about whats going on who is involved, make sure feelings arent being hurt ect... if you are doing something for drama effect people may actually agree to take a fall ic (as long as its not perminate) for the sake of a good story.

to often in genesis the lines blurr between griefing and rp because it is sooo immersive there is no ooc communication at all untill someone loses an eye.

Avarel
Apprentice

Post by Avarel » 26 Nov 2014 05:54

If I may, Cherek, possibly hijack the thread for a moment. I have no answer for why players leave during a war, but I will tell you why I'm staying.
I have not left the game. I have been playing since Bromen killed me. I have had other priorities, I'm afraid, and have not been able to commit as much time to the game for the past few weeks as I would like, although I have been following the war avidly here on the forum. Prokop, Snowrose, do not fear, I will continue to play the game.
To the heart of the matter, I am staying because I like the game. There are no feelings hurt by Bromen, nor am I frustrated by the quote unfairness unquote of the situation (and I have to thank Bromen for returning my equipment, although that might have been because I wasn't carrying any particularly valuable items). I enjoy the process of discovery in the game. I fully understand that to play a game in which pvp is not disabled would mean that eventually I might be involved in conflict with another player. And I fully understand that the guild I am in comes with baggage, enemies both natural (such as the mages and AA) and potential (such as, currently, the BDA), as well as allies.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/