Why do some people stop playing when a conflict arises?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Why do some people stop playing when a conflict arises?

Post by Cherek » 24 Nov 2014 09:00

Prokop wrote in the thread about the ranger-BDa conflict:
Prokop wrote:I am ticked that the only concrete result (death and gear are not permanent) is that 2, maybe 3 players have left the game.
I dont wanna hijack that thread but statements like that pop up now and then and almost always when there is some type of conflict in the game leading to people dying. I figured it would be interesting to discuss it.

First of all, care to elaborate Prokop? Have 2-3 players really left the game because of this conflict? (Which compared to many other conflicts still is fairly minor) And what does "leave the game" really mean? They left for good? Never to come back? Or took a little break? Saying someone left the game sounds so final. They said they're not coming back?

Secondly, no matter if its permanently or temporarily, why did they stop playing exactly? Because they died, that is, because they lost XP and think it's too much work to recover? Because they lost gear? Because they were embarrassed for dying? Because they felt bullied by bigger players? Because they hate PVP and want no part of a game with PVP?

The reasons could be many, and since people often tend to leave the game, or at least take a break, when conflicts appear I think it's worth exploring to figure out what exactly makes people leave, and how conflicts could be more fun.

Thoughts?

Chanele
Champion

Re: Why do some people stop playing when a conflict arises?

Post by Chanele » 24 Nov 2014 13:59

Imbalance, unrecoded guilds and size differencies should top such list.

Unrecoded guilds creates huge imbalances which results in bigger size differencies. But please continue adding more guilds before this problem is solved.

Balance all or none, not half.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 24 Nov 2014 14:29

Chanele wrote:Imbalance, unrecoded guilds and size differencies should top such list.

Unrecoded guilds creates huge imbalances which results in bigger size differencies. But please continue adding more guilds before this problem is solved.

This right here, nothing more frustrating then being bullied by a guild that really needs balanced or being in a guild that hasnt been recoded. Probably more frustrating due to the long wait.

Death, constant loss of eq, harassment... it all eventually adds up.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 Nov 2014 15:05

Greneth wrote:
Chanele wrote:Imbalance, unrecoded guilds and size differencies should top such list.

This right here, nothing more frustrating then being bullied by a guild that really needs balanced or being in a guild that hasnt been recoded. Probably more frustrating due to the long wait.

Death, constant loss of eq, harassment... it all eventually adds up.
So to sum it up the word "UNFAIR" is what you both feel is the biggest problem with PVP, and is why people tend to stop playing when a conflict arises and they end up losing?

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 24 Nov 2014 15:12

They are pussies!

Also apart from some players being able to kill others if they wish so and not the other way around, for bigger players death penalty is too big to face.

Nemi is a hero/titan so she keeps yapping, not caring/afraid to die again. And it is not a problem to die when you are smaller, a hero or around, but the bigger you are the greater the death penalty becomes. When you are a myth size and die, then - if you do not script - the recovery could take months.

No wonder there are no conflicts or wars around.

When the death was suspended, people did not engage in fights more as they knew when it is back, there will be repercussions.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 24 Nov 2014 15:26

To sum it up: feeling helpless. There's no way to turn the table and the gap between your opponent increaes with time.

How many years has it been since the first recode? Even the project manager has abandoned the recode project, how can you start a project of this magnitude and halt halfway for the benefit of additional guilds? Boggles my mind.

And what about quickfixes for guilds like SS and PoTs? I have spent hours and hours working on ideas to help these guilds while waiting for recodes, easy fixes like changing numbers, but nothing happens. Waste of fucking time.

Its better to start new projects...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 Nov 2014 15:29

syrk wrote:They are pussies!

Also apart from some players being able to kill others if they wish so and not the other way around, for bigger players death penalty is too big to face.

Nemi is a hero/titan so she keeps yapping, not caring/afraid to die again. And it is not a problem to die when you are smaller, a hero or around, but the bigger you are the greater the death penalty becomes. When you are a myth size and die, then - if you do not script - the recovery could take months.

No wonder there are no conflicts or wars around.

When the death was suspended, people did not engage in fights more as they knew when it is back, there will be repercussions.
Good points. I dont disagree.

So, (temporarily) closing non-recoded guilds and capping size at somewhere around titan would make PVP much more fair and fun, and come with considerably less risk.

What effect that would have on the game as a whole is another discussion of course...:)

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 24 Nov 2014 15:32

There's never usually much in terms of fairness for PVP. You rarely see someone engaging in PVP combat saying "This should be a fair, even match." There are very few naturally even matches for one-on-one combat...all things being equal. And yes, this has a a bit to do with some guilds having been recoded before others, but really only regarding Rangers. The Rangers are living in the early nineties as Prokop pointed out...it's a shame no wizards want to recode them.

Ilrahil's death as BDA vs. a team of enemies had, from what I understand, more to do with the location and numbers than anything else.

The other deaths were more size related (Tibor, Nemi) than necessarily being a significant power difference.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 Nov 2014 15:35

Chanele wrote:To sum it up: feeling helpless. There's no way to turn the table and the gap between your opponent increaes with time.

How many years has it been since the first recode? Even the project manager has abandoned the recode project, how can you start a project of this magnitude and halt halfway for the benefit of additional guilds? Boggles my mind.

And what about quickfixes for guilds like SS and PoTs? I have spent hours and hours working on ideas to help these guilds while waiting for recodes, easy fixes like changing numbers, but nothing happens. Waste of fucking time.

Its better to start new projects...
Well I cannot provide any answers for the recode project, I was never around when it started, and I've never been a part of it. But yeah, I do agree that imbalanced guilds together with more or less unlimited stat growth are the two main reasons why PVP can never be fun for more than a select few people. And it's definitely not good if people leave because of it. Conflicts and stuff happening in the game should draw people IN, not send them packing.

Prokop
Greenhorne

Post by Prokop » 24 Nov 2014 15:40

Thanks for the question Cherek.

Who left:

Ilrahil - Well, he has quit before. If I have to bet, he will be back after a long break.

Tibor - Swore to another player in RL that he was quitting. Logged in once since for a short
period, does not return game mails etc.

the third guy said he was ok and he would continue playing, but has not logged back in.
Have 2-3 players really left the game because of this conflict?
The answer is Yes. Will they return. Maybe yes, Maybe no.
why did they stop playing exactly? Because they died, that is, because they lost XP and think it's too much work to recover? Because they lost gear? Because they were embarrassed for dying? Because they felt bullied by bigger players? Because they hate PVP and want no part of a game with PVP?
That answer is going be different for each human that plays.
....how conflicts could be more fun.
An impossible task. Not everyone is going to think it's fun.
people often tend to leave the game, or at least take a break, when conflicts appear I think it's worth exploring to figure out what exactly makes people leave
I love statistics. The game has been around a long time. I would have thought the AoP would have
been gathering answers like this from players over the years. I'm sure it is varied, but the AoP team
is best positioned to find out why. Exit and welcome back interviews. Someone logs in after a six
month absence, go ask them why they left and why they came back.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/