Botting

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
OgreToyBoy
Champion

Re: Botting

Post by OgreToyBoy » 14 Feb 2015 00:23

I LIKE COOKIES!!!!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Feb 2015 03:21

Well I can only agree with Gorboth.

I suppose I was naive to think we could have an open discussion about botting. And even more naive to think it was a good idea to actually check if the rumours about some players are true or not. That now appears like it was a completely crazy idea, even though it seemed like such a reasonable one.

Guess I am starting to understand the weight of this position.

I decided to try a new bot test on three players who's been rumoured to be pretty robotic a lot of the time. It's not like I selected a couple of players on random, or a few I have heard sometimes takes bathroom break without going LD, and decided to punish them for that.

And, the intention was NOT to punish the players I selected, even if I caught them botting, but simply to see if the test worked, if they are indeed botting like everyone says they are, and then simply TALK to them about botting. And use that information when thinking about what's the best way to have a more active game, with less people scripting unattended. Which I personally have no doubt would be very good for the game as a whole. The question is how to get there. And what better place to start than to talk to those who seem to disagree, and hear what they have to say.

And that's the only thing that I had in mind. And the only thing that has happened.

I am pretty amazed at how much anger this, in my opinion very harmless bot test caused. Nobody's even been punished for anything. All that happened was that a few people who's all been known and/or rumoured to be scripting, were tested to see if they script unattended or not.

I guess it proves how touchy this subject is. And how differently people feel about it.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 14 Feb 2015 04:04

Cherek: Keep it up. It's in your hands now, and regardless of the situation you inherited, I'm all for your new creative ways to make our game better. Great job.

Alisa: Please calm down. I'm not sure what you got into, but it looks like a bad batch. If you want to spout obscenities, please move to the flame section. You can start with "F*ck Manglor" etc. I'm a big boy, I can handle it.

We're trying to make the game a better place, although I was lurking because I honestly think there's no harm in botting. There's been so much cheating that's gone unpunished despite being well known in the wizard community that someone who chooses to tag along and is afk for "more than 5-10 minutes" isn't going to break the game. Where do you draw the line? That's now up to Cherek, and if you don't like it, that's too bad. Like any job in RL, it's his now, and whatever came before has nothing to do with what comes next. I will watch eagerly, though.

I welcome this new generation of AOP and what was, at first, productive and intelligent discussion.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 14 Feb 2015 08:08

When the BDA decimated the Rangers, the whining was about how ancient the Rangers are and what should be done to fix them.

If Calians move behind is broken or illegal, it should be talked about. I hope the AoB is or has tested move behind by now.

When the AoP brings up botting, the first people that come to mind is the notorious Calian group and Irk.

If people are suspected of botting, the bot test should test them more than others.

Btw, no one cares that Alisa has been teaming with anyone for 1 1/2 months. Your relevance ends with being a Calian lapdog.

-Bromen

OOC- If a discussion causes anyone here to use all caps at any point, maybe you should play another game. It is just a game.

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 14 Feb 2015 12:42

Well, becoming pissed happens Cherek.

Don't worry, i am much calmer now, but still a bit wondering. I will come to that later. I got carried away, and such is life. I was pissed, i apologize.
Now after a brief interlude about non-botting issuses(again) we will return.
Bromen wrote:Btw, no one cares that Alisa has been teaming with anyone for 1 1/2 months. Your relevance ends with being a Calian lapdog
Nothing here about botting Bromen, apparently i am not big enough to be a bot or? Or do you simply mean some players are more important than other players. Keep in mind this is not a RP thread in any way, so please keep it out.
Bromen wrote:If Calians move behind is broken or illegal, it should be talked about.
Well, petros stated it wasn't. Find the link yourself, or keep ignoring it as seems to be the popular opinion. quote a famous movie "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" (Note caps, because i think the quote is supposed to go like that. Nothing else)

Nvm, moving on.

As you said Cherek, harmless botcheck... Did they players afflicted with it seem to think it was harmless. That is my major issue here, as i talked with someone pretty annoyed about a teammember suddenly missing in a hostile territory. There are things as fatigue in the game, where you stop moving, and in some areas without your team.... You die! and as noted earlier on the boards, people do really care about their xp and how they gain/loose them.

Now the discussion about that can go on forever. I see no need to keep it going though.

Mortis

Post by Mortis » 14 Feb 2015 14:49

I like how Cherek is handling this situation. His responses on this thread show he is sufficiently intelligent and handling the situation in a reasonable way.

Keep up the good work!

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 14 Feb 2015 14:55

The only ones that cry over botchecks are the ones benefiting from them in one way or another. Stop teaming with bots and it wont be a problem for you. Kinda like the stop teaming with Ilrahil stuff, but this actually has merit and is stopping harmfull playing :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Feb 2015 15:59

Alisa wrote: As you said Cherek, harmless botcheck... Did they players afflicted with it seem to think it was harmless. That is my major issue here, as i talked with someone pretty annoyed about a teammember suddenly missing in a hostile territory. There are things as fatigue in the game, where you stop moving, and in some areas without your team.... You die! and as noted earlier on the boards, people do really care about their xp and how they gain/loose them.
Well, if your teammate is not active, and we're not talking bathroom breaks here, or watching a movie while glancing at the screen, we're talking simply having no clue whats going on in the game for quite some time, then I guess that's a risk you take? Nobody's who's even somewhat active would ever be in any danger of snatched for failing a bot test anyway, and thus would not put teammates in danger either.

And really, a large team of high level characters with at least an active leader (which they had) in the Utterdark will hardly be in danger if they lack one member. Or two. There's barely a place in Genesis that poses a real danger for a SOLO myth who's at his/her computer. But if that is your major concern, perhaps it's best to team with people who watch their screens, or, don't go into dangerous areas when one or more people in the team is AFK?

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 14 Feb 2015 16:54

Cherek wrote:
Alisa wrote: And really, a large team of high level characters with at least an active leader (which they had) in the Utterdark will hardly be in danger if they lack one member. Or two. There's barely a place in Genesis that poses a real danger for a SOLO myth who's at his/her computer. But if that is your major concern, perhaps it's best to team with people who watch their screens, or, don't go into dangerous areas when one or more people in the team is AFK?
What i was trying to convey was the feeling the team leader and the rest of the team gets when a member is suddenly missing. They start running in circles, looking for that player, as that player certainly is in trouble. The only real reason why he wouldn't follow is simple fatigue, and that will kill a myth too.
That does create alot of frustration, when you find out he is just away chatting with a wizard about a too long break.

As you said yourself, nobody is punished and you are trying to find the way thats best for the majority.
Its teeming with hurt feelings here, and i did cause some of that for which i am truly sorry.

To resume to the actual discussion, maybe another thread should be made, or this should be purged

My feelings in this, and why i thought the rules should be adapted is still because of family. When called, i go. This game is still build so a daughter calling can set me back a month or more. Either from dying or from failing the bot check. That is not going to happen many times before i stop playing, and it will affect others too....

Chanelle wrote "either you play or you don't". Black or white. I'm grey here, because i like to play but i wil not put it first.

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 14 Feb 2015 17:41

Hate to say it, but Alisa is right. I've died a few times from bathroom breaks or quick cigarette break, also from my daughter calling for some reason or another. Dying is annoying, but there are things that will make me swear over it, but not be angry at the distraction that caused it.

RL will take presedence, and we're no longer the 18 year old students we once were, we're older, and we have real life obligations. Now, the choice is, somewhat automated movements for up to 10 minutes while slightly+ AKF or as some seem to feel, quit/LD.
Flee you fools!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/