Botting

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 3212
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Botting

Post by Cherek » 17 Feb 2015 00:48

Writing code to stop botting wont be an easy task I think. As long as you can fight enemies who you safely beat, and be rewarded with XP, you can always bot them. I am not really sure what type of code could ever stop that. Unless we make the world A LOT more dangerous, with hunting NPCs all over the world who randomly attack team members and kicks your butt... But maybe we should do that. Every fight is life or death? It sure would be exciting.

But I dont know. it's a difficult thing and I am not so sure it would be worth all the trouble to redo half the world either? Sure, rewarding activity and have less scriptable things in the game is a good idea, and something to strive for. But to code away ALL types of unattended scripting... that sounds like a work of the same magnitude as the guild recodes or fix all quests or something...:)

I think the best solution to botting is to keep rules saying it's not allowed, and make some checks now and then on those who just leave scripts on and go do something else, the _real_ bots that is. And then work to make the world more fun to be active in. Yes decreasing rewards for smaller mobs and making big XP more risky is probably one way. But so is having more events, perhaps encourage more guild politics with coded alliances, create a PVP area, etc. Stuff that makes people WANT to be active in the game. And those things can be added one by one, step by step while keeping our rules until there's no longer anyway who wants to be inactive a need for them. Although I think we're always gonna need _some_ rules. Like I said before, I think most games needs to rules to function well.

Bromen
Champion
Posts: 678
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 06:29

Re: Botting

Post by Bromen » 17 Feb 2015 01:28

The only way to really get rid of botting is to ban scripts. Since scripts are legal, so in essence, botting will be legal, hard to catch, and people will continue to get away with it.

I kinda miss the old days of telnet where you had to type in your command every time.

-Carmelo

User avatar
Alorrana
Myth
Posts: 1009
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 11:23
Location: Mordor. passing gass.

Re: Botting

Post by Alorrana » 17 Feb 2015 04:01

We are the Bots. Lower your shields and surrender your weapons. We will add your scripts and triggers distinctiveness to our own. Your xp will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile !
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 3212
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Botting

Post by Cherek » 17 Feb 2015 04:20

Alorrana wrote:We are the Bots. Lower your shields and surrender your weapons. We will add your scripts and triggers distinctiveness to our own. Your xp will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile !
I am getting a feel for a new guild!

Which do you prefer?

"The Botters or Sparkle" (BoS)

"The Dishonest Society of Genesis Bots" (GB)

"Union of the Bots of Cheating" (Cheating Union, or CU)

Obviously, they will go by the name "The Bots" when people speak about them. Their guild halls will be a big cube. The leader called "The Bot Queen", and members will given titles in the style of "Alorrana, Six of Three, female bot". The main guild feature is that XP gathered by guild members will of course be shared and distributed to all bots. A small drawback is that you're unable to control your character at all. As soon as you log in, a botting script starts and continues until you're out of energy, and you automatically return to your alcove to regenerate. (or quit like other players call it). So basically all you do as a player is enter your name and password a few days each week.

User avatar
Amorana
Rising Hero
Posts: 304
Joined: 04 Nov 2013 20:26

Re: Botting

Post by Amorana » 17 Feb 2015 04:38

Cherek wrote:
Alorrana wrote:We are the Bots. Lower your shields and surrender your weapons. We will add your scripts and triggers distinctiveness to our own. Your xp will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile !
I am getting a feel for a new guild!

Which do you prefer?

"The Botters or Sparkle" (BoS)

"The Dishonest Society of Genesis Bots" (GB)

"Union of the Bots of Cheating" (Cheating Union, or CU)

Obviously, they will go by the name "The Bots" when people speak about them. Their guild halls will be a big cube. The leader called "The Bot Queen", and members will given titles in the style of "Alorrana, Six of Three, female bot". The main guild feature is that XP gathered by guild members will of course be shared and distributed to all bots. A small drawback is that you're unable to control your character at all. As soon as you log in, a botting script starts and continues until you're out of energy, and you automatically return to your alcove to regenerate. (or quit like other players call it). So basically all you do as a player is enter your name and password a few days each week.
Oh, I've been in that guild for awhile. We welcome you to the hive, Cherek.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Laurel

Re: Botting

Post by Laurel » 17 Feb 2015 07:51

Mersereau wrote:
Chanele wrote:If you can't beat them join them!
You mean, "If you can't beat them, call for a nerf or removal!"
If you mean me - I do NOT think botting or scripting are the biggest screwups of this game. Just thought outside of the "we have always done it this way" box.
Also: I stopped playing at all, but the last thing the Calians made me work out was a failsafe pvp trap that has never been used before, so I guess that made me a potentially better player shall I ever return to playing and PvP.

Ethuscuel
Apprentice
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:28

Re: Botting

Post by Ethuscuel » 17 Feb 2015 19:12

Amorana wrote: I still highly doubt you've never been led by someone using a script.

Scripts are pervasive in Genesis. Much more so than anyone here seems to want to admit.
Using scripts isn't the problem. Using scripts while you're at work, or shopping at the store, or sleeping, or smoking five cigarettes...that is the problem.

It needs to be stopped.

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1792
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: Botting

Post by Draugor » 17 Feb 2015 23:15

Ethuscuel wrote:
Amorana wrote: I still highly doubt you've never been led by someone using a script.

Scripts are pervasive in Genesis. Much more so than anyone here seems to want to admit.
Using scripts isn't the problem. Using scripts while you're at work, or shopping at the store, or sleeping, or smoking five cigarettes...that is the problem.

It needs to be stopped.

Amen sister! :P

User avatar
Amorana
Rising Hero
Posts: 304
Joined: 04 Nov 2013 20:26

Re: Botting

Post by Amorana » 18 Feb 2015 16:15

Ethuscuel wrote:
Amorana wrote: I still highly doubt you've never been led by someone using a script.

Scripts are pervasive in Genesis. Much more so than anyone here seems to want to admit.
Using scripts isn't the problem. Using scripts while you're at work, or shopping at the store, or sleeping, or smoking five cigarettes...that is the problem.

It needs to be stopped.
Never said I disagree.

I think there's a difference between "I'm sleeping" and "I got caught up doing work from home longer than I expected to." That's my problem.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1792
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: Botting

Post by Draugor » 18 Feb 2015 16:55

Amorana wrote:
Ethuscuel wrote:
Amorana wrote: I still highly doubt you've never been led by someone using a script.

Scripts are pervasive in Genesis. Much more so than anyone here seems to want to admit.
Using scripts isn't the problem. Using scripts while you're at work, or shopping at the store, or sleeping, or smoking five cigarettes...that is the problem.

It needs to be stopped.
Never said I disagree.

I think there's a difference between "I'm sleeping" and "I got caught up doing work from home longer than I expected to." That's my problem.

And the last one is WAY to easy of an excuse, I mean how do we gauge whats what? Lets say I script for... I dont kno 24 hours :P I get caught and I say I got caught up doing shit longer than I expected, nothing can prove I didnt just watch movies, sleep and eat cheetos :P

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/