Botting

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kas
Legend

Re: Botting

Post by Kas » 10 Feb 2015 13:04

The progression can be lateral and noone will toss away their hard earned stuff without getting something better or different in return.

I think there are many ways to create carrots tempting enough for some people to pursue alternate roads when in the endgame.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Davvol
Veteran

Post by Davvol » 10 Feb 2015 15:39

OgreToyBoy wrote: So when all areas are downgraded, we who have higher stats should do what?
Start kill other players of 'end-title' cause we are still the same mortal level so everything goes?
Why they should do something? If they scrip-grinding 24/7 what is value of that characters to the community and game? It makes no difference either they grind or just do not login. If they are doing something else beside grinding - they can do it even if grind areas are downgraded. Roleplay, kill Balrog, pkill each other but there no scrip-grind areas anymore, so they can't scrip-grind. And there is no rankings, no mortal levels higher then titan and no stat description over epic. No one cares about how big they are, so there also no reason to grind.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 10 Feb 2015 15:57

Davvol wrote:
OgreToyBoy wrote: So when all areas are downgraded, we who have higher stats should do what?
Start kill other players of 'end-title' cause we are still the same mortal level so everything goes?
Why they should do something? If they scrip-grinding 24/7 what is value of that characters to the community and game? It makes no difference either they grind or just do not login. If they are doing something else beside grinding - they can do it even if grind areas are downgraded. Roleplay, kill Balrog, pkill each other but there no scrip-grind areas anymore, so they can't scrip-grind. And there is no rankings, no mortal levels higher then titan and no stat description over epic. No one cares about how big they are, so there also no reason to grind.
So you mean a statcut is in order?
Or do you think hardcore grinders stop visiting area because they are made easier?
Will just mean that instead of groups with 2-3 members in, we'll see all solo grinders compete with the casuals over even more areas. Also remember most of these hardcore grinders gather most equipment for those who can't play that much.

There are maybe 1-2 who permascript, even though some claim there are a lot more.
It is not that big of a problem in my opinion, problem is players are allowed to grow to big but still should not be a hardcap. Usually those who never had large characters wish for hardcap but once the big guys leave you will start yapping about gear being to hard to get etc.

Davvol
Veteran

Post by Davvol » 10 Feb 2015 16:05

I'm not talking about statcap or taking their stats, Cexp or anything away. I'm talking about taking away measurements. Let them decide between them who is bigger, by lifting copper coins, drinking beers or pfight. I'm talking about removing levels and information who is bigger. And making grinding from violent level so hard, what takes years to get very violent.
Also, take a look at it from new player point. When i started plaing, i know - there only 7 levels to go, and it looks much closer then current 15 levels to go. And notice, last level usually is reached on brutality more than violent. I would give up from that task after month or tow of playing. Cause when you are GA with extr brutal and see, there is only 5 levels of brute and 8 mortal levels to go - you have no chance to get top level. If there only 2 levels to go - you will continue.
I predict, 90% of new players we got last monthes will stop playing before they hit RH, cause for them getting to myth means years of playing. New mortal levels killed genesis many years ago.
Last edited by Davvol on 10 Feb 2015 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 10 Feb 2015 16:22

Alisa wrote:
Cherek wrote:2. Not sure I understand. Who would set the tag? The person who bots? Me?
No, the option of setting the flag yourself when you Bot.

Perhaps in the form of setting an afk flag(when called away) and knowing it turns into a pkill justifying BOT flag after 15 minutes of so.
This sounds like a good idea. If you need to go afk for 1-10 minutes you can tag yourself as 'afk' ( only seen by wizards). If you're away for more then 10 minutes you need to ld otherwise you bot.

How to police this is up to AoB but please, we don't need more irks, castanedas or serens.

Edit: switch AoB to AoP

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 10 Feb 2015 16:35

Chanele wrote:
Alisa wrote:
Cherek wrote:2. Not sure I understand. Who would set the tag? The person who bots? Me?
No, the option of setting the flag yourself when you Bot.

Perhaps in the form of setting an afk flag(when called away) and knowing it turns into a pkill justifying BOT flag after 15 minutes of so.
This sounds like a good idea. If you need to go afk for 1-10 minutes you can tag yourself as 'afk' ( only seen by wizards). If you're away for more then 10 minutes you need to ld otherwise you bot.

How to police this is up to AoB but please, we don't need more irks, castanedas or serens.

Edit: switch AoB to AoP
Had he truly been a bot he'd died from those who hunt him.

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 10 Feb 2015 16:48

Chanele wrote:This sounds like a good idea. IF you need to go afk for 1-10 minutes you can tag yourself as 'afk' ( only seen by wizards). If you're away for more then 10 minutes you need to ld otherwise you bot.
Thats why i suggested the BOT flag to be set after the period, and then making it so no penalty when killing a bot. Of course some players would never be able to accept this, but that problem is always there. Some just won't accept anything that goes against themselves and keep complaining about it.

And of course some will not set the flag, and some people will always do something, other think is wrong.

Three players mentioned as bots, are they really a problem? UberMyths as said... I fight Irk regularly, and he has yet to kill me. I do team with Castaneda, and he does have an effect in the team. But not the effect of two titan/champs joining.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 10 Feb 2015 19:11

So, about botting...

It seems like most of us agree on that we dont have a problem with people who AFK a couple of minutes, alone or in a team, are those who are semi-active, perhaps doing something else in another browser window, or working etc, and checking their screen fairly regularly.

That's basically my feeling too.

Being dragged around in a team for hours and hours, even days, very rarely checking your screen, or not at all. = bad.
Fully automated combat/herb/forging scripts where you for the most part not at your computer = bad.

I dont think it would be very useful to start hunting your general player and try to catch them while working or away making dinner or something like that. I see no reason to force players to logout just because they need to leave the computer a short while. They take a risk by doing so already, and in general I think we want our players to stay in the game as much as possible. Even if they arent always 100% active.

As for catching those serious bots, well, I also agree that we probably dont have too many of those. But I do encourage people to send a report, or commune me, if you see people who without doubt bot for hours and hours on end without showing any sign of being awake.

I do think our botting rules could need a small revision to clarify some things, like how long it's okay to be idle, and perhaps a clarification on what is okay too, so people dont feel afraid to get punished/labeled a botter just because they leave their computer for a little while now and then, or arent always 100% active in a team.

But long term, I am pretty sure the best way to combat botting is to reward an active play style, instead of rewarding scripts.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 10 Feb 2015 21:06

btw. try solving the bot test on your telephone mud app ... and tell me how you liked it in combat or when just anything happens (like your team moving)

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 10 Feb 2015 21:30

Cherek wrote:But long term, I am pretty sure the best way to combat botting is to reward an active play style, instead of rewarding scripts.
I do get the feeling that some of those posting often here have the following logic

He is big/bigger than me -> He is online more than me -> He is a bot.

How would you reward active play in comparison with a script... Are we talking removing combat? Are we talking xp for chatting(then i would probably prefer a chatroom) Active play style is rewarded in my opinion, quests and combat. It is made so you need to quest(one type) and fight(another type) to grow.
I do enjoy RP in the game, but without growing or something i would not play.

Funnily enough, when i did the hardest part in playing my character instead of myself, i actually was told "you have to learn to roleplay to join this guild".... Contradiction here is that the role i play, is the role i choose to play, not the role YOU would like me to play, and perhaps not even the role you think is acceptable to play.

Friends of mine from WoW, went to a RP server... Made a couple of troll thugs, and went around telling other players "you owe master money... pay now or die"
They got reported and banned from RP server because someone thought it was REAL LIFE threats.

YOU DONT RP, BECAUSE YOU NEVER STOP TO TALK.....what a load of bollocks... How many do you see stopping, introducing themselves to total strangers and start chatting friendly when one is a knight of solamnia and the other a grunt in the Blue or Red dragonarmy. And when you do respond inside the RP sphere and attack on sight that is also bad.

There simply is no win. There is just "i don't think this is right, so now i will say something bad about someone else"

Alisa, pulling out of yet another discussion :-)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/