Grinding areas for new players

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Draugor
Myth

Re: Grinding areas for new players

Post by Draugor » 22 Feb 2015 08:30

You should have one area for each alignment tho, some newbies on ntell seem to have a problem adjusting their align for guilds etc

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 22 Feb 2015 09:06

Zestana wrote:Kobolds had one of the highest yield rates for "skulls", were quick to kill, and their leftovers weighed hardly anything. Ilrahil only used kobold and elf leftovers as spell components due to their light weight. Alternatives are some human/troll/ogre leftovers weigh 4-5 kilos a hit so its not feasible to carry even 5 of them around. Kinda sad to hear the kobold area is closed down.
Maybe the problem is weight of leftovers on other species. Making areas like kobolds small people only should not pose a problem.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 22 Feb 2015 11:36

One could make some leftovers in mythy areas lighter and more desirable. or in migranged areas that not many people go because there are easier places. if the skulls and leftovers are better in higher areas you wont have myths crashing newbiezones they will crash the areas with the best overall drops per minute..

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 22 Feb 2015 16:07

I know the orcs in the Shire were mentioned as well. If you close down that area to players over a certain size there is a quest involving that camp that needs to be tweaked then. The Uruk that spawns when the quest is given should be moved outside the camp... or a warning on the quest orbs should be made indicating that after a certain size it will become unavailable.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Feb 2015 17:04

Zestana wrote:I know the orcs in the Shire were mentioned as well. If you close down that area to players over a certain size there is a quest involving that camp that needs to be tweaked then. The Uruk that spawns when the quest is given should be moved outside the camp... or a warning on the quest orbs should be made indicating that after a certain size it will become unavailable.
Speaking of that area, is it also a known "leftover harvest" spot? I know ogres go there, but it doesnt seem as popular for leftovers/imbuements like the kobolds apparently are.

As for quests, Varian had some good ideas regarding how to make an area both accessible for large people, and at the same time not repeatedly "harvestable" for large people, which is something we could use there.

We're definitely not gonna close the quest for larger people, and you should not worry about some type of "mass closure" of old areas either. Currently I have really only identified three good areas for fresh newbies to grind. The Kobolds, The Shire orcs, and south of Pelargir. (which needs to be easier to find). The area south of Pelargir is already closed for large players, and have always been, most actually probably didn't know it existed. So leaving it closed will obviously not be an issue. What to do with Kobolds is up for debate I suppose, I still think keeping it closed for large people and come up with another solution for leftovers sounds like a better idea then reopening it. It seems odd to me ONE area in the realms should be much better than all the others for harvesting leftovers. If that's the case maybe we should look into how leftovers work more globally instead. Because I do think tiny creeps should mainly be for tiny players.:)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Feb 2015 17:04

Draugor wrote:You should have one area for each alignment tho, some newbies on ntell seem to have a problem adjusting their align for guilds etc
That's a good idea for a potential future area.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 22 Feb 2015 17:12

Mercade made some global changes to the realms about 6-7 years ago. Basically the weight of the leftovers became a little more proportional to the size of what you were killing. Which does make sense, as a troll skull should weigh more than that of an elf. But when 70% of your spells as a Necromancer use skulls specifically it makes the process a little more difficult. What's interesting to note is that Mithas troll leftovers weigh no more than a regular human one, while Neraka troll leftovers can weigh upward of 10 kilos a skull.

The lightest ones that I have found are in this order kobold/Qualinost elf (same weight approx.), then kender, then hobbits. But I could go and clear out all of kendermore and get 3 skulls total. And cutting from each corpse I find will leave me collapsing under my load after about an hour of grinding.

But maybe this is a topic for a different thread.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Feb 2015 17:15

Zestana wrote:Mercade made some global changes to the realms about 6-7 years ago. Basically the weight of the leftovers became a little more proportional to the size of what you were killing. Which does make sense, as a troll skull should weigh more than that of an elf. But when 70% of your spells as a Necromancer use skulls specifically it makes the process a little more difficult. What's interesting to note is that Mithas troll leftovers weigh no more than a regular human one, while Neraka troll leftovers can weigh upward of 10 kilos a skull.

The lightest ones that I have found are in this order kobold/Qualinost elf (same weight approx.), then kender, then hobbits. But I could go and clear out all of kendermore and get 3 skulls total. And cutting from each corpse I find will leave me collapsing under my load after about an hour of grinding.

But maybe this is a topic for a different thread.
It might be for another thread yes, but clearly leftovers seem to be a little all over the place in terms of weight and what you got from a corpse...

Feel free to start such a thread. I am sure Amorana and others probably have some things to add to the leftover discussion as well.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 23 Feb 2015 07:36

maybe necromancers should have something like the academics do where academics can make shards out of gems witch makes them only usable as spell components.

maybe let necromancers convert leftovers as they get them into talismens which will have a universal size/weight that way it wont matter if the original weight was light or heavy.
another idea is a saftey deposit box for spell components like we have for gems. that way people wont have to varry thoer entire supply.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 23 Feb 2015 09:11

Snowrose wrote:maybe necromancers should have something like the academics do where academics can make shards out of gems witch makes them only usable as spell components.

maybe let necromancers convert leftovers as they get them into talismens which will have a universal size/weight that way it wont matter if the original weight was light or heavy.
another idea is a saftey deposit box for spell components like we have for gems. that way people wont have to varry thoer entire supply.
Such code already exists and might be used when magic guilds are recoded

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/