Boat size.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zestana
Expert

Re: Boat size.

Post by Zestana » 27 Feb 2015 18:27

That's not a bug, Icarus with, the ship captains. There are advantages that being a Mariner/Pirate/Minotaur has that chartering a boat doesn't get you. Otherwise the concept of the Mariners would be rather useless don't you think? And its really not that hard to figure out the boundaries of it. Use your brain. I'm sure its not that small :P

The boat limitations I understand as in order to take more people across you need a bigger boat which costs more money. And I do think that that riding mounts should take up an additional slot... but things like messengers, combat related perks (dragons), other animals should not do so.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Feb 2015 19:15

Yup, Zestana is correct. The chartering thing is by design, not a bug. Perhaps not the perfect solution, but still, that's how it's designed. That ships have different size also makes sense to me. The issue seems to be mainly when messengers and others supposedly tiny creatures take up more space than they should. I obviously do not know what happened with Valthard since it was so long time ago and I was not an active wizards, and definitely not AoP, at the time. My understanding is that if you leave the ship you should be able to enter it again unless something changes that makes the ship more "full". Did something change for him that could have caused him not being able to re-enter?

As for wizards "not doing anything". Well, except for the last couple of months we have had extremely few active wizards lately. Maybe less than ever. Especially in the huge domain Krynn there's been nobody around at all really. Now, Krynn has an active Mortis so that's a good step in the right direction. And wizard activity overall has increased as well, as I am sure you have noticed, as many old issues and problems with all sorts of things have been fixed lately.

And the more people who wants to become wizards, the more things we can fix. Now is actually a better time in many years to become a wizard, since we have active wizards in several domains, and there's usually at least someone around to ask questions.

So for those of you that have been considering it. Now is the perfect time!

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 27 Feb 2015 19:21

Yup, Zestana is correct. The chartering thing is by design, not a bug. Perhaps not the perfect solution, but still, that's how it's designed. That ships have different size also makes sense to me. The issue seems to be mainly when messengers and others supposedly tiny creatures take up more space than they should. I obviously do not know what happened with Valthard since it was so long time ago and I was not an active wizards, and definitely not AoP, at the time. My understanding is that if you leave the ship you should be able to enter it again unless something changes that makes the ship more "full". Did something change for him that could have caused him not being able to re-enter?
If I remember right. Navarre was patching something on the boats, Valthard and Laurel were fighting a dragon turtle outside of the boat. Valthard was getting beat up. Tried to board the boat. It was full because a wizard was on it. Dragon turtle hit again and Valthard died. Gear was lost. Its been like 7-8 years ago at least though. An unfortunate event, and if I remember right there wasn't really an active AoP when it happened so it just kinda went by the wayside.

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 27 Feb 2015 20:17

Zestana wrote:That's not a bug, Icarus with, the ship captains. There are advantages that being a Mariner/Pirate/Minotaur has that chartering a boat doesn't get you.
Well, at least, after years, I got an answer. However, making an alias to get around this is fairly easy, as it's still a "fixed" thing, so advantage isn't really there anymore. A much better way, and yes, most non-mariner & non-pirate would probably hate this idea, would be to make the captain sail normally, but after, say a random of 4 to 6 directions of sailing, be in need of a short break (30-60 seconds?) due to the "exhaustion of sailing the boat in high seas, being used to the more shallow waters". This would actually even make pirates/mariners even more viable.

Secondy, at least mariners, possibly also pirates, require a set skill in acrobatics to swing from one boat to another, however, if you're just chartering a ship, this is not needed.
Flee you fools!

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 27 Feb 2015 20:53

Zestana wrote:
If I remember right. Navarre was patching something on the boats, Valthard and Laurel were fighting a dragon turtle outside of the boat. Valthard was getting beat up. Tried to board the boat. It was full because a wizard was on it. Dragon turtle hit again and Valthard died. Gear was lost. Its been like 7-8 years ago at least though. An unfortunate event, and if I remember right there wasn't really an active AoP when it happened so it just kinda went by the wayside.
You know more than me or him were ever told. He was just shown the middle finger and me ignored as usual. I did guess exactly that happened (wiz came over on invis and screwed us) but Navarre obviously rather enjoyed being an asshat (not the first and last time) than step up and at least apologize. Well - there are wiz-friends in this game and there's me. I like my friends more even it it makes Genesis way harder.

This is sooo just another example of what is wrong with some of the wizards.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Feb 2015 23:37

Well Laurel I can't say much about what happened back then since I was probably a mere mortal myself at the time. Sounds like an unfortunate incident regardless of what caused it.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 28 Feb 2015 17:23

Well - there are wiz-friends in this game and there's me. I like my friends more even it it makes Genesis way harder.
I would not exactly say I'm the all saint of wizards liking me Laurel :D I break the the boundaries of their meticulous "perfect" code to often and am to arrogant for that. :evil: :evil:

Felt
Greenhorne

Post by Felt » 02 Mar 2015 19:37

Laurel wrote:You know more than me or him were ever told. He was just shown the middle finger and me ignored as usual. I did guess exactly that happened (wiz came over on invis and screwed us) but Navarre obviously rather enjoyed being an asshat (not the first and last time) than step up and at least apologize. Well - there are wiz-friends in this game and there's me. I like my friends more even it it makes Genesis way harder.

This is sooo just another example of what is wrong with some of the wizards.
this post needs some violin music

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 02 Mar 2015 20:28

some people never get tired of creating alts - even in the forum :roll:

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/