Calia Hobbit Number Game Quest [Possible spoilers]

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aristos
Veteran

Re: Calia Hobbit Number Game Quest [Possible spoilers]

Post by Aristos » 19 May 2015 10:35

Doesn't that work with PEMDAS?

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 19 May 2015 12:13

vlek wrote:
Zhar wrote: It doesn't equal -9 but it's still wrong.
It's not wrong depending on what you're using to calculate it. In python and ruby, it's right. In damn near everything else I've tried it on including the regular windows calculator it comes to 291.
Greneth wrote: Wouldn't that be 291?
And the correct answer should of been... 25*8+75+7+6 = 288
Depends what you're using to calculate it with apparently, and no, that's not the right answer. You have to use all of the numbers and only change the mathematical operations between them.
play number game
The studious bright-eyed male hobbit chirps: Ok, hypnotic long-fingered female drow, here are the numbers you will have to work with:
The studious bright-eyed male hobbit chirps: 100, 50, 15, 9, 4, 7 and 8.
The studious bright-eyed male hobbit chirps: Your target number is: 283.
The studious bright-eyed male hobbit chirps: You should answer with a legal arithmetic expression, you may of course use brackets, and you needn't use all the numbers that are available.
The studious bright-eyed male hobbit chirps: Your time starts now, give me your answer with 'answer <arithmetic expression>'.
> answer 50*4+100-9-8
You answer: 50*4+100-9-8.
The studious bright-eyed male hobbit stops the current number game.
The studious bright-eyed male hobbit chirps: Congratulations, you got the right answer, hypnotic long-fingered female drow!
The studious bright-eyed male hobbit chirps: No rewards this time, you've done it before!
>
The studious bright-eyed male hobbit chirps: Would you like to play a number game with me?
Pay attention to the information thats given to you, I am not wrong.

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 19 May 2015 12:46

vlek wrote:
Zhar wrote: It doesn't equal -9 but it's still wrong.
It's not wrong depending on what you're using to calculate it. In python and ruby, it's right. In damn near everything else I've tried it on including the regular windows calculator it comes to 291.

It's math. The answer does not depend on what program you use to calculate it. The program might be unable to do math, but the answer remains the same.

Boreaulam
Wizard

Post by Boreaulam » 19 May 2015 12:58

You have a bug in your program

You use int(integer) as your data type so:
100*25/75 is 33 and not 33.3333333
so *9 + 6 - 7 - 8 it comes to 288 instead of 291 as for anyone else.

Use double or float as your data type.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 19 May 2015 14:14

gorboth wrote:"could of" is not good native English at all! "Could have" perhaps ... ;-)

G.
I know it's not good English. It's the fact that 99% of the people who tend to use "could of", "should of" et al are native English speakers...
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 19 May 2015 15:09

Zhar wrote:
gorboth wrote:"could of" is not good native English at all! "Could have" perhaps ... ;-)

G.
I know it's not good English. It's the fact that 99% of the people who tend to use "could of", "should of" et al are native English speakers...
True. This also made me think of something.

Due to the high amount of media in English (television, internet, music, literature, etc.) being consumed around the world, future generations will be relatively close to having a native speaker's "mastery" of the language.

Mirandus
Site Admin

Post by Mirandus » 19 May 2015 21:29

Zhar wrote:

G.

Well, in reality native English speakers use "could've" or "should've" which is a contraction of "could have" or "should have." Now this might _sound_ like "should of" or "could of" but in reality it's just what your ears hear. Now in reality contractions are generally considered to be "informal" language and not the formal way of speaking, but it's a widely accepted practice and used regularly even in academics.

Despite this, English is a tough language.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 20 May 2015 00:15

Mirandus wrote:
Zhar wrote:

G.

Well, in reality native English speakers use "could've" or "should've" which is a contraction of "could have" or "should have." Now this might _sound_ like "should of" or "could of" but in reality it's just what your ears hear. Now in reality contractions are generally considered to be "informal" language and not the formal way of speaking, but it's a widely accepted practice and used regularly even in academics.

Despite this, English is a tough language.
I know about contractions in the spoken form. All the time I was referring to the mangled form that's prevalent everywhere over the net in the written form.

I guess this all stems from English not having phonetic transcription.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Vlek
Wanderer

Post by Vlek » 20 May 2015 02:22

Seriously, I'm a grammar nazi, and you're all just annoying me. Can we stick on topic? If you're wanting to talk about the finer points of the English language, go ahead and make your own thread.

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 20 May 2015 07:37

vlek wrote:Seriously, I'm a grammar nazi, and you're all just annoying me. Can we stick on topic? If you're wanting to talk about the finer points of the English language, go ahead and make your own thread.
Not quite sure what topic you want to stick to. Your math was bad and you misunderstood thequest. As Greneth pointed out, you don't need to use all the numbers. If you are that concerned about the order of operations, Ska says you can use brackets to force the order that you want.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/