How about putting it into the open to discuss instead?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Ody
Hero

Re: How about putting it into the open to discuss instead?

Post by Ody » 10 Dec 2015 17:12

How is the boulder annoying at all? It's far better then someone coming to you and accusing you. Don't solve the riddle and you don't get in, simple enough. Perhaps only botters would be upset about this, eh? Seems if you're sitting at your computer you won't have a problem.
As for a 'toddler emergence.' I can see how that's a valid excuse..but why is it so hard for the team to wait the ten or fifteen minutes it'll take you to get back? Or leave you there and come get you when you get back? It sounds like you just want to bot and you're getting pissed at any attempt to stop you.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 10 Dec 2015 17:29

Cherek wrote:I think your idea of rewards for activity is interesting Laurel, for example. So let's focus on discussing the idea itself?
If it's interesting (and I have been mentioning carrots instead of sticks countless times before), then why not alfa test this approach instead of another stick? Give people incentive, not penalties.

As on the logic of a boulder blocking an attempt to bot: currently that's not a punishable offence (attempt to bot but failing to do so), so why even bother?

Fighting for those long hours against the same trolls/ogres/elves/shitsmth, your hand starts to itch - you think you are going to hit Irk instead of the troll if you do not <control hand> soon.
You start hitting Irk instead of the troll - you are going to slam him hard soon, if you do not <control yourself> soon.
You start hitting everyone in the team - you are going to run yourself against their weapons if you do not <take control> soon!
You start taunting your team and they start focusing you, instead of the troll ... etc. etc.
Combined with the inability to kick from team + vast randomness in commands required (they need to be short and visible though!) + inability to execute team commands = much better results than another number challenge disguised as a boulder.

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 10 Dec 2015 17:33

First 10-15mins is a LOTS of exp :P
Second leaving someone alone is quite dangerous, so no, team will have to wait.
Third for someone whi is speeding through the world any stop is annoying and i am not talking about me.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 10 Dec 2015 17:43

Awesome whine here Laurel.
Well this is a big change and a good one.
So they will strip you dickheads for bots :D

Love it!!
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 10 Dec 2015 17:45

cotillion wrote:We should be improving the game, not complaining about how people decide to play it.

Operative word here is playing.
You dont play the game when you join a group then spend the next 2-6 hours AFK.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 10 Dec 2015 17:53

Laurel wrote: If it's interesting (and I have been mentioning carrots instead of sticks countless times before), then why not alfa test this approach instead of another stick? Give people incentive, not penalties.
Maybe there will be something like that in a potential next test. We'll see. Like I said this was just a quick first test Nerull came up with and whipped together yesterday. It's a good base for a discussion. I agree that carrots are better than sticks in general. This is a very small stick though?
Laurel wrote: As on the logic of a boulder blocking an attempt to bot: currently that's not a punishable offence (attempt to bot but failing to do so), so why even bother?
You misunderstand. The intention was not to catch players and then punish them for botting. Not at all. The idea was to prevent them from botting in the first place. So no punishments are needed. I don't like punishing anyone. If we keep people from breaking a rule it's much better than waiting for them to break it and then punish them I think. So nobody broke the rules yesterday, and nobody was punished.
Laurel wrote: Fighting for those long hours against the same trolls/ogres/elves/shitsmth, your hand starts to itch - you think you are going to hit Irk instead of the troll if you do not <control hand> soon.
You start hitting Irk instead of the troll - you are going to slam him hard soon, if you do not <control yourself> soon.
You start hitting everyone in the team - you are going to run yourself against their weapons if you do not <take control> soon!
You start taunting your team and they start focusing you, instead of the troll ... etc. etc.
Combined with the inability to kick from team + vast randomness in commands required (they need to be short and visible though!) + inability to execute team commands = much better results than another number challenge disguised as a boulder.
Sure, that could work. But it's still using a stick though in a way?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 10 Dec 2015 18:03

I say punish botters harsh.
All the way in fact.
And these were caught badly.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 10 Dec 2015 18:18

This is from having experienced teams with Jar.

Jar joins the team.
Jar says "I will be silent for a while"

Jar never returns and is dropped off in sparkle church when team disbands.
4-6 hours of teaming there..

Egwene
Beginner

Post by Egwene » 10 Dec 2015 18:27

Ody wrote:How is the boulder annoying at all? It's far better then someone coming to you and accusing you. Don't solve the riddle and you don't get in, simple enough. Perhaps only botters would be upset about this, eh? Seems if you're sitting at your computer you won't have a problem.
As for a 'toddler emergence.' I can see how that's a valid excuse..but why is it so hard for the team to wait the ten or fifteen minutes it'll take you to get back? Or leave you there and come get you when you get back? It sounds like you just want to bot and you're getting pissed at any attempt to stop you.
I agree with Ody. I don't think its annoying at all. And i frankly dont think it seems like a "stick" approach either. Seems pretty simple.

We all know that things pop up, but if you have an emergency and you're going to be afk for a long time, wouldn't you rather have your friends drop you at the church or guild instead of cheating? Maybe a simple fix like this boulder will make you set up a plan to deal with that with your teammates ahead of time.

Keep it up wizards - those of us that don't bot think its a great idea :)

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 10 Dec 2015 18:39

Egwene wrote:Keep it up wizards - those of us that don't bot think its a great idea :)
Fair point. How about we praise the team wiz instead of jumping down their throats at the tiniest change?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/