Laurel on definition of harassment

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Etanukar
Adept

Re: Laurel on definition of harassment

Post by Etanukar » 23 Dec 2015 16:49

Most of us have jobs and the "harassment" rules apply there as well. Lets be honest, we know what harassment is and what it is not. If I grab a handful of boob I am obviously harassing; if I leer creepily at someone for long periods of time, I am stalking them - harassment. As has been stated over and over, come on people, act like adults. This isn't kindergarten where the teacher has to say keep your hands to yourself or you get no trail mix. If you set in your mind that you are going to kill someone 10 times, you are harassing them. If you continually do something to inhibit their play of the game, you are harassing them.

Its not black and white though, and as such needs to be case by case. Example - Krynn war, factions on opposing sides etc.

In the workplace, an off-handed remark about someone may make them laugh if you are friends with them, where it might also offend someone who knows you not at all.

Use good judgment and you will have nothing to worry about.

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 23 Dec 2015 18:49

Etanukar wrote:Most of us have jobs and the "harassment" rules apply there as well. Lets be honest, we know what harassment is and what it is not. If I grab a handful of boob I am obviously harassing; if I leer creepily at someone for long periods of time, I am stalking them - harassment. As has been stated over and over, come on people, act like adults. This isn't kindergarten where the teacher has to say keep your hands to yourself or you get no trail mix. If you set in your mind that you are going to kill someone 10 times, you are harassing them. If you continually do something to inhibit their play of the game, you are harassing them.

Its not black and white though, and as such needs to be case by case. Example - Krynn war, factions on opposing sides etc.

In the workplace, an off-handed remark about someone may make them laugh if you are friends with them, where it might also offend someone who knows you not at all.

Judgement.
Logic.

Must be something strange the tower dictates. I love the voice of reason :-)

Azuri
Beginner

Post by Azuri » 24 Dec 2015 16:53

What I suggest is putting the rules on the website a d have them be clear cut.

If you do this its harassment and repeated offences means your character is deleted.

What I found in mmorpg when it comes to role play is there is a thin line to what is or isn't harassment.

They use rp as a scapegoat such as questionable adult role play out in the open. Or straight up being a complete jerk for lack of better terms.

Sword art online said it best kirito "some people just like to play the villain, they like to let their hair down at the end of the day."

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 25 Dec 2015 12:15

Etanukar wrote:Most of us have jobs and the "harassment" rules apply there as well. Lets be honest, we know what harassment is and what it is not. If I grab a handful of boob I am obviously harassing; if I leer creepily at someone for long periods of time, I am stalking them - harassment. As has been stated over and over, come on people, act like adults. This isn't kindergarten where the teacher has to say keep your hands to yourself or you get no trail mix. If you set in your mind that you are going to kill someone 10 times, you are harassing them. If you continually do something to inhibit their play of the game, you are harassing them.

Exactly.
Well said :)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 27 Dec 2015 01:43

Etanukar wrote: Use good judgment and you will have nothing to worry about.
That's been the problem for 25+ years.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Mystina

Post by Mystina » 27 Dec 2015 05:00

I think the rules should be posted and clear cut. I was weirder out that the website doesn't list the rules, that should be priority, and fix the missing guild name mistake.

Sometimes players don't read any the in game help files, they shrug it off and don't care. I think it should be required to read the rules and agree to them, and if not your character is deleted.

With harassment have clear rules, because in role play most people think anything goes and people use the scapegoat of -its role play- why not take a page from elder scrolls.

If you commit a crime (aka harassment) it can be reported on and said player is placed ins jail for x amount of time based on offence/ repeated offence and weaken their character.

If they do ooc harassment, temp ban them for x amount of days. And repeated offences means your character is ban

Problem with harassment is its subjective, it based on the reaction of the "victim" to what the "offender" is doing. Like grabbing someone's boob, 1 player may not like it while another may egg it on.

Someone may get bothered by being pk'ed while someone else may shrug it off.

The you have varying opinions of the higher UPS, one wizard may sympathize with the "victim" while another may think the person is just being to sensitive.

Here is a real life example, the law states you not suppose to best people up. Fights happen though cops have to make s judgment call based on what is said.

But then you have some cops not want to get involved.

Like my sister got jumped by a guys ex g/f cuz the guy though my sister was a Cheater, and sent the ex and her friends to attack my sister, she went to the cops and they just laughed and shrugged it off.

With that said its hard in multiplayer online games to have clear cut rules. More so follow them, I had a case while playing an mmorpg that I was randomly cyber stalked by a guy for 3 months straight asking me repeatedly if I would kick a dude in the nuts, if I would if I got paid and to admit I was a guy.

I would block this guy and he would just come up with a new character, I reported it to the game moderators and nothing really was done. Ended up switching to a different server.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 27 Dec 2015 05:26

Cherek makes an excellent point it is too much to define everything that is harassment. You need to go with a case by case basis.
Last edited by Ody on 27 Dec 2015 07:39, edited 1 time in total.

Mystina

Post by Mystina » 27 Dec 2015 05:38

What I think should happen us the people who currently run the game, need to come up and agree on 2 sets of rules

Rp laws

And non rp harassment rules

Post both on the web site with discipline action for both.

And the people who run the game need to follow them to the letter to set an example for everyone.

The rules in question should be basic enough to understand, broad enough to encompass alot, but narrow enough to follow and follow through with action.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 27 Dec 2015 16:25

Mystina wrote:What I think should happen us the people who currently run the game, need to come up and agree on 2 sets of rules

Rp laws

And non rp harassment rules

Post both on the web site with discipline action for both.

And the people who run the game need to follow them to the letter to set an example for everyone.

The rules in question should be basic enough to understand, broad enough to encompass alot, but narrow enough to follow and follow through with action.
I don't think there has been a case of sexual harassment in years in Genesis. This conversation comes down to what defines and what does not define griefing a player to a certain point.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 27 Dec 2015 17:06

We already have harassment rules. They can be read any time in game <help rules>. Why clutter the web site with a list of what defines harassment? What we have works and it's worked for years.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/