Inspiring Roleplay

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Emraht

Inspiring Roleplay

Post by Emraht » 30 Jan 2016 00:45

Great thread, Gorboth, on stirring up sentiment for roleplay. You know that's one of my biggest goals. It's fun to hear folks recall good RP experiences. This is great for showing those new to Genesis that RP is alive, well, and a big part of our world. That's someone missing from next generation MMOs.

Can you talk a little bit about why you banned roleplay from the ntell line? This is a recent, unannounced change, and I'd like to hear your rationale for doing it. Many of us believed roleplaying on the ntell line was important for showing new players that there is a strong RP environment here they can participate in. What were some of the reasons that was shut down, and what are some of your initiatives for Inspiring Roleplay.

Thanks!

Laurel

Re: Inspiring Roleplay

Post by Laurel » 30 Jan 2016 00:54

Emraht wrote:Great thread, Gorboth, on stirring up sentiment for roleplay. You know that's one of my biggest goals. It's fun to hear folks recall good RP experiences. This is great for showing those new to Genesis that RP is alive, well, and a big part of our world. That's someone missing from next generation MMOs.

Can you talk a little bit about why you banned roleplay from the ntell line? This is a recent, unannounced change, and I'd like to hear your rationale for doing it. Many of us believed roleplaying on the ntell line was important for showing new players that there is a strong RP environment here they can participate in. What were some of the reasons that was shut down, and what are some of your initiatives for Inspiring Roleplay.

Thanks!
Laurel wrote:(...) I find it hard to see anything else but an attempt to challenge the current AoD and AoP by ... well, Emraht - why would you be challenging the AoD and AoP in a public forum, mate? ;)
Emraht wrote:You know it. Everyone knows it. You know everyone knows it. And everyone knows you know it.

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Inspiring Roleplay

Post by gorboth » 02 Feb 2016 02:16

Hi Emraht,

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this earlier. I've been digging out from my absence, and didn't get you your mails until Cherek pointed them out to me today.

Yes, this is a tricky topic, and I understand your reasoning, for sure. I treasure roleplay and feel it is one of the most wonderful and compelling aspects of what our game has been in the past, and can hopefully be in the present and future. Why wouldn't we want to roleplay all the time, including on the ntell line? I'll give you my reasons why not, including an analogy.

Firstly, the ntell line itself breaks roleplay. I really REALLY hate the ntell line's immersive disruption. In a perfect world, we would not have the ntell line at all, as it is very much against the spirit of a core tenent of what we've decided is good for the game from the very early periods of development. That being - Genesis should NOT have global shouts, tells, or any sort of chat line because they break roleplay. Unless there is some story behind something, it should not exist in the game. Thus, the Calians have their amulet that provides a story for why they have their communication line. The Morgul Mages have their spell for their communication. We don't just give players a chat line. Except ... we do. The <ntell> line.

For this reason, the ntell line needs to have its own distinct treatment. Because it is not part of Genesis roleplay, it should not INVOLVE any Genesis roleplay. If you want to roleplay with newbies, seduce them to the Dark Lord's service, and such things as that, I am all in favor of it. However, it should be done using the roleplay tools the game provides. When we use the ntell line, we are stepping out of roleplay, and we are simply using a tool for the good of the game. For example, on the line, two people who are complete enemies in the game might collaborate to help answer the questions of a new player.

An analogy I will use is the idea of sitting around the table playing a paper and dice session of D&D or some other roleplaying game. The game is played by the characters in their own world controlled by the people sitting around the table. The talk at the table is not actually part of the game. If someone is having their first night playing D&D, there might be a lot of table talk helping that person figure out what the rules are, how to think about dice rolls or stats, or other things that have nothing to do with roleplay or their character's life choices or personality. The ntell line should be thought of as that table-talk. If in that table talk, you drew a RL dagger and started sharpening it loudly with a RL whetstone, the other people around the table would get annoyed and ask you to please cut it out, as the noise is making it hard to explain the rules.

So ... Emraht, please stop sharpening your whetstone. It is making it hard to explain the rules. ;-)

I hope you can understand and accept this reasoning and analogy. If not, there are many good helpers who will continue to make that line a good and effective tool. As for it being an example of dead and dying roleplay. I think not. It is an entirely separate matter that will not prevent good roleplay if we still continue to make it part of our character's personas and the ways in which they choose their steps in the world.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/