View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 25 Sep 2018 18:03

Forum rules


- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.



Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Map and the donut 
Author Message
Veteran

Joined: 24 Jan 2016 21:27
Posts: 223
Well, one thing I really like about this game is its map. I mean seriously I have tried many MUDs and am mostly quitting them because the map of Genesis is overwhelmingly good. And I don't just mean that it is user friendly with the player not having to remember stuff and getting a clear picture of where he is etc. There is a bigger thing to that. In other MUDs (lets stick to the ones having a map of some kind) I just can't feel being part of something. The glowing map adds to the immersion of the game and, imho, actually contributes greatly to that aspect. If I walked from square to square or from a "Obvious exits w, s, e" to another or a *insert wall of text* it can be immersive depending on the *wall of text* but come on. The simplistic glowing map really draws out something for the player's fantasy to build on and perceive the world.

That said, first matter: It would be absolutely wonderful if we were to discover the map on the fly. That could be quite a lot of trouble or may need a reconstruction of the code regarding it so I understand not getting into such trouble but it is a thing to consider.

Second matter: Some places are just not mapped. There are cases in which it quite appopriate (vile places unmapped by many and probably too dangerous too keep things in mind to work on a map later?) and quite immersive as such. But there are places where is doesn't make sense and just disorientates the player and breaks the immersion (until you reach argos). It can also frustrate new players or make them just abandon the idea of "going that way".

Pam pam. Thoughts?


12 Feb 2016 16:16
Profile
Champion
User avatar

Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:46
Posts: 624
Location: United Kingdom
Some history on the maps...

When Genesis was first created -- there were no magical maps. We all created maps using pen and paper.
And gifted individuals created ascii maps and would publish them in the guild hall libraries, etc.

Then map tools that were part of clients became available .. and many people started creating maps using these tools. IE Cmud or http://mudmap.sourceforge.net/

Then.. someone in admin came up with the great idea of adding the magical maps - So in 2009 -
It was added to the Tutorial area in order to create an added tool to find their way around.

Slowly ... new maps have been added to the game as wizards or talented individuals help to create these ascii maps.

If there is an area that doesn't have a map .. its because they haven't gotten to it yet.
If you are talented at making maps ... maybe you can help them in this endeavor.
Otherwise, I would recommend being patient with the fact that it doesn't yet exist.. and perhaps attempting to explore and make your own map.

Or.. you can use one of the wonderful maps someone has made using outside tools:

http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/w/brow ... sis%20Maps

_________________
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.


12 Feb 2016 16:34
Profile
Veteran

Joined: 24 Jan 2016 21:27
Posts: 223
Good to know about the magic map history as a feature. What about the discovering-on-the-way part? I imagine it is quite hard to code it like that?

To be clear my post wasn't about whining but more like sharing how ecstatic I am about that feature which can be even better. I am very bad in any kind of drawing or manufacturing apart from maybe quarterstaffs so I don't think I can help... Cheers!


12 Feb 2016 16:54
Profile
Adept
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2016 08:28
Posts: 133
Location: Bree
Drazson wrote:
It would be absolutely wonderful if we were to discover the map on the fly. That could be quite a lot of trouble or may need a reconstruction of the code regarding it so I understand not getting into such trouble but it is a thing to consider.


I totally agree, but I've been hesitant to propose it because the wizards are still working on the second point.

Maybe when the maps are (at least mostly) completed it would be cool to look at how much work it would be to make the map dynamic, but it would also potentially require a lot of storage, so there's many issues to consider, but I just wanted to say that I also think it would be a cool feature. It would also allow for better handling of "private" areas like the inside of guilds. If rooms aren't added until you visit them then we could do away with the inside/outside popping that we have in some places currently.

That said, just having the existing magic map is already pretty awesome.


12 Feb 2016 17:43
Profile
I love the magic map in the game it feels like a hand made map someone give it is both simple yet detailed.

Plus wow, the game world is big. I didn't expect tutorii isle to be as big as it us.

Don't laugh but I got lost in the farmers field and the forest a few times, I had to keep looking at my map just to get an idea of where I was in the areas.

In my opinion if you have a newbie get lost in just the basic vastness of an area you're doing something right.


12 Feb 2016 20:04
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15
Posts: 425
Totally agree with you Drazson... the magic map has been a game changer for Genesis.

For me, it convinced me to come back to Genesis and add maps to all the areas I coded over a decade ago pre-magic map. And there were a lot of areas I coded! :)
And there are still many more areas to be done... Genesis is not small in content, and adding the maps does take time.

But it is something the wizard community is enthusiastic about. You only need to see some of the new mapping that has been added to the old (and massive) domains of Terel and Kalad in the last few months to realise that we do see it as important!

What would be interesting from our perspective is what areas do the players feel REALLY needs mapping? A hit list may be something we look at?

Cheers,
A.K


13 Feb 2016 15:11
Profile
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15
Posts: 425
Aerylina-leafschade wrote:
I love the magic map in the game it feels like a hand made map someone give it is both simple yet detailed.

Plus wow, the game world is big. I didn't expect tutorii isle to be as big as it us.

Don't laugh but I got lost in the farmers field and the forest a few times, I had to keep looking at my map just to get an idea of where I was in the areas.

In my opinion if you have a newbie get lost in just the basic vastness of an area you're doing something right.


With a big enough screen size your magic map appears in the top left-hand corner so you never have to check it again ;). I am guessing you are playing from a tablet?


13 Feb 2016 15:14
Profile
Arman wrote:
Aerylina-leafschade wrote:
I love the magic map in the game it feels like a hand made map someone give it is both simple yet detailed.

Plus wow, the game world is big. I didn't expect tutorii isle to be as big as it us.

Don't laugh but I got lost in the farmers field and the forest a few times, I had to keep looking at my map just to get an idea of where I was in the areas.

In my opinion if you have a newbie get lost in just the basic vastness of an area you're doing something right.


With a big enough screen size your magic map appears in the top left-hand corner so you never have to check it again ;). I am guessing you are playing from a tablet?


Yup, and a hardcore rp'er so idk needing to check my map or getting lost, that the fun of exploration and makes for good immersion


13 Feb 2016 17:50
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: 02 Sep 2012 23:56
Posts: 203
Location: Misty Mountains
Arman wrote:
Totally agree with you Drazson... the magic map has been a game changer for Genesis.

For me, it convinced me to come back to Genesis and add maps to all the areas I coded over a decade ago pre-magic map. And there were a lot of areas I coded! :)
And there are still many more areas to be done... Genesis is not small in content, and adding the maps does take time.

But it is something the wizard community is enthusiastic about. You only need to see some of the new mapping that has been added to the old (and massive) domains of Terel and Kalad in the last few months to realise that we do see it as important!

What would be interesting from our perspective is what areas do the players feel REALLY needs mapping? A hit list may be something we look at?

Cheers,
A.K


I reckon Annuminas would be enchanted, even more with a high quality map, I mean, a map that would express its ruined, dark and terrible charm.
For instance: a top down, map of fortification and city, with a little hint of grahics connected with mists and remains.

: ]

Regards,
Berwyn

_________________
"Tis but a scratch" - Black Knight, Monty Python and the Holy Grail


16 Feb 2016 10:56
Profile
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: 02 Sep 2012 23:56
Posts: 203
Location: Misty Mountains
Image

Of course... Adjusted to the reality of Middle-earth roleplaying: )

B.

_________________
"Tis but a scratch" - Black Knight, Monty Python and the Holy Grail


16 Feb 2016 11:21
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Hexen and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.