Seeing the word "Yikes!" in gameplay messages

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Read the explanation below, and then please vote:

The word "Yikes" bothers me. Please change it to something else.
31%
The word "Yikes" doesn't bother me.
69%

Total votes: 42

gorboth
Site Admin

Seeing the word "Yikes!" in gameplay messages

Post by gorboth » 01 Mar 2016 06:58

I've gotten enough feedback on this that I'd like to create a poll. Don't worry, we will not be removing the helpful message that lets you know when your armours have degraded, but I want to hear whether lots of people find the inclusion of the word "Yikes!" undesirable. If that seems to bother enough people, it can easily be changed to something with less ... uh ... personality.

Thanks,
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Ody
Hero

Re: Seeing the word "Yikes!" in gameplay messages

Post by Ody » 01 Mar 2016 07:06

Well..since yikes is something I personally say, it doesn't bother me in the least. To me it can be something somber. I can see how it'd bother some people though, but personally it doesn't bother me.

Avarel
Apprentice

Post by Avarel » 01 Mar 2016 07:29

I've only seen it once, but personally I find it doesn't fit the gravitas I see in my character.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel,
silivren penna miriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 01 Mar 2016 08:30

It's author's creation and the way he intended the effect to be consumed by the reader.

You are setting a slippery slope by changing things because some people don't agree with the way they are written.

Next people will want titles that only fit their character, or they won't like the stat adjectives because they don't agree with the way their character is being described.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 01 Mar 2016 14:04

There is a difference between author code and system code. Gorboth want to make his code unique, lot of wizard do that.

System code is plain everywhere.
<get stone>
You get a grey stone.
<put stone in backpack>
You put a grey stone in your leather backpack (open).

It plainly tells you what happen. It's not author slanted like:
<get stone>
Damn yo! You get a grey stone!
<put stone in backpack>
Awesomeness! You just scored a sweet grey stone in your leather backpack (open).
<exa stone>
Your eyes boggle out as you eye your sweet new grey stone. It is a plain grey stone in your leather backpack (open).

This is a system code message, so it should be plain. Author slant is fine in where gorboth do his own code. He want to make Chemosh full of !, then that is his sand box.
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Mar 2016 14:13

"First world problems" Genesis version.
So far Gorboth's code was the most fun I have encountered in this game for years, so keep it comming please.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 01 Mar 2016 15:12

"First world problems" Genesis version.
This issue has actually made my second shrink alot of money. First one making tons off my even smaller issues.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 Mar 2016 15:21

Sykil wrote:There is a difference between author code and system code. Gorboth want to make his code unique, lot of wizard do that.

System code is plain everywhere.
<get stone>
You get a grey stone.
<put stone in backpack>
You put a grey stone in your leather backpack (open).

It plainly tells you what happen. It's not author slanted like:
<get stone>
Damn yo! You get a grey stone!
<put stone in backpack>
Awesomeness! You just scored a sweet grey stone in your leather backpack (open).
<exa stone>
Your eyes boggle out as you eye your sweet new grey stone. It is a plain grey stone in your leather backpack (open).

This is a system code message, so it should be plain. Author slant is fine in where gorboth do his own code. He want to make Chemosh full of !, then that is his sand box.
I think this makes a lot of sense. I personally love Gorboth's often humorous style, but I also like the style of writing in many other places, like Syabrus for example, which is completely different but in my eyes equally good, and I like we have diversity. But for "system code" I kind of agree with Sykil. So I am gonna vote "it bothers me". Not because it bothers me personally at all, but for the reasons above.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 01 Mar 2016 18:44

Though the majority who have voted so far are clearly not bothered, the number of players who are is significant. Let's consider some changes.

What I was trying to do with "Yikes!" was create an attention-getter. There are ways to do this other than with a word that communicates emotion and human personality. For example, we could use a sound effect, or reaction to the impact:

Ooof!

Crunch!

Uff da! (okay, not this one)

etc ...

I think the functionality for the player is increased by an attention-getter. Suggestions?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 01 Mar 2016 18:55

gorboth wrote:Uff da!
Totally works for me. :p

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/