What's the point - learning spell skills in Adventure Guilds

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Azarias
Beginner

Re: What's the point - learning spell skills in Adventure Gu

Post by Azarias » 23 May 2016 00:23

Nighthawk wrote:
Sykil wrote:how this is bad money? you sound to whine. don't sound as this spend it and do it. is not a trick
My apologies; my usual expectation is that learning how games work is a good thing, and muddling around on my own asking as few questions as possible wasn't accomplishing much. Me not being the one starting this thread suggests that I'm not the first newbie to gnash my teeth over such issues.

It's also my experience that asking for information on viable training paths (or classes, or professions, system depending), especially with the statement "What I'm doing isn't working," isn't usually considered "whining." If newbies asking such questions here are tagged as "whiners," that's useful to know.

Anyway ...

Arman, I was trying to cast hydrokine, if that helps.
Asking questions is indeed a good thing, the problem is that the game has never really been about giving exacts. And probably never will, the older generations were given lots less in terms of the info thats available now.

Which is why the general response given is just max everything. To us you're going to need all the skills the guild provides so max them all the why is irrelevant. Higher the skill the better it does. And while some question the use of certain AG skills i can say that there are lots of hidden or unknown uses for those skills. Few might say Life Spells are a worthless skill, I beg to differ.

The thing is that the game wants you to learn via trial and error or in character. There isn't a full guide on these things, just bits and pieces of info strung together from collective minds who all figured it out via trial and error over the years.
Two!

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 23 May 2016 00:41

Nighthawk wrote:
Sykil wrote:how this is bad money? you sound to whine. don't sound as this spend it and do it. is not a trick
My apologies; my usual expectation is that learning how games work is a good thing, and muddling around on my own asking as few questions as possible wasn't accomplishing much. Me not being the one starting this thread suggests that I'm not the first newbie to gnash my teeth over such issues.

It's also my experience that asking for information on viable training paths (or classes, or professions, system depending), especially with the statement "What I'm doing isn't working," isn't usually considered "whining." If newbies asking such questions here are tagged as "whiners," that's useful to know.

Anyway ...

Arman, I was trying to cast hydrokine, if that helps.
Hi Nighthawk, then I reckon my previous advice is on the money. One thing to note, other magic guilds may have higher skill expectations for you to be able to cast spells. So the Academics have relatively low expectations on your skills, so not a bad guild to start with if you want to follow a path of magic :)

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 23 May 2016 01:10

It is not whining to ask questions the way you have. If people feel you are whining .. and complain - just ignore them and interact with those who respond to your queries. We may not always have answers for them .. but it does not hurt to ask.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Nighthawk
Greenhorne

Post by Nighthawk » 24 May 2016 08:09

Thanks for answering, folks. It's plain that Genesis is just not for my friends and myself -- for one thing, we're just plain weirded out that we can't get clear answers on training our characters but can get step-by-step on dozens of quests (which ought to be Top Secret info if anything is). Good luck in your questing.

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 24 May 2016 10:00

Nighthawk wrote:Thanks for answering, folks. It's plain that Genesis is just not for my friends and myself -- for one thing, we're just plain weirded out that we can't get clear answers on training our characters but can get step-by-step on dozens of quests (which ought to be Top Secret info if anything is). Good luck in your questing.
Do not give up. The game is a struggle at some stages but it will change.
As for quest advice i agree. Quests and questxp should be a important part of the game.
With run throughs it is not. How to train a character should also be in a FAQ even if it should be in general terms.
When I grew up there was no low lvl magic worth the name.
No one wasted money into magic at an early stage.
Game has changed a lot since then so I can not really help you here.

Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Post by Fourtcoer » 24 May 2016 18:18

I always thought there should be a few spells (cantrips, really) - and for that matter, a few simple combat commands - that can be learned through quests by all players. It would make things more interesting. And really it's 2016.. (this is more about the combat skills) a combat system that has a player - even a new player - spamming 'donk' over and over again is incredibly outdated. The system was invented over 20 years ago and it SHOWS!

Such things would be completely small beans compared to anything you get in guilds, but would add more variety and flavor and make the skills seem more useful.

Here's some examples. Not super powerful, nothing you can't accomplish through other accessible means in the game, but adds fun and flavor with a little utility.

air spells - message (pigeon + bladed weapon) pigeon sacrifice will send a single message to someone afar (presumably because the pigeon couldn't get to them)
earth spells - minor alchemy (none) Allows you to reach down and gather up a handful of earth and transmute it into a small stone. Stones may be use for other spells, but once in a while you luck out and gather a gem instead.
water spells - detoxify (water) cast upon water and then drink to completely sober up, and can cure the weakest poisons.
fire spells - spark (1 copper coin) create light for 3 seconds, similar to those gnomish mining helmets. Can also be directed at torch or campfire to light it, if you feel like being fancy.
death spells - decay (stone) causes a corpse to decay, leaving all leftovers behind.
life spells - embolden (citrus fruit) a small discipline boost

For combat, little general commands that you could throw into rotation, like a kick based on your unarmed combat skill or whatnot, nothing life-changing but something else to throw into combat rotations other than spamming your guild special over and over again.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/