Stealing in Genesis

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Celemir
Wanderer

Stealing in Genesis

Post by Celemir » 04 Apr 2016 13:37

Kitriana wrote:Idea to counteract:

Sounds like a cool ability for say .. necro, minstrels or EW (laymen)... to have a protection or alarm spell to protect from thieves. Would definitely give a new interesting dimension.

I am amusingly thinking of some version I saw of Jack and the Beanstalk .. where the harp starts singing and complaining about being stolen by Jack.
How about thief guilds get a ability to nullify mage/priest spells, sound about fair.

It seems people want to have counters for that is supposed to be a "thief" guild strengths, stealth,borrowing and such.
What is the point of the thief guild sub type if it does not give any advantage, but only disadvantages in combat areas, and this is a combat game no way around it.
There have to be some balance between guild types to make it all work.
I dont know if a guild type review has ever been done?

Etanukar
Adept

Re: Secret Society Recode

Post by Etanukar » 04 Apr 2016 16:00

All of you are arguing moot points as it stands now. Someone decided to break the skill of theft and as such, borrow. Wouldn't it be great if we could just turn Genesis into a grinding domain like Diablo? Then, there would be no need for those annoying things like roleplay, questing, plotting and planning... they just get in the way of fighting anyway.

cotillion
Site Admin

Re: Secret Society Recode

Post by cotillion » 04 Apr 2016 16:10

It's really unlikely we'll nerf steal further.
I'd say the opposite is more likely.

Wasn't this thread about Kenders at some point?

Mirandus
Site Admin

Re: Stealing in Genesis

Post by Mirandus » 04 Apr 2016 16:47

I've moved this conversation here.

I'd prefer to keep the Secret Society thread about the recode.

Celemir
Wanderer

Post by Celemir » 04 Apr 2016 17:38

Yes it seems kind of strange I agree. The point of the post was to get the posting back on the topic of the state of the Secret Society, as they posting was more on in the likes of "how come people can steal my stuff, and how do we prevent it". Since the SS is the only OCC Thief guild(how rude), I through it perhaps it would bring back the focus to where it belonged.
My mistake i guess.

Strider
Adept

Kender Need Not Apply

Post by Strider » 04 Apr 2016 19:38

I wouldn't take it personally, Celemir; I think Mirandus made an inelegant edit, rather than untangling the whole thread, in an attempt to split global thievery from what was introduced as a more focused Kender Guild Recode thread.

Clearly, those are incredibly interrelated, but the distinction isn't unreasonable.

I think if I had been Mirandus doing this cleave, I would have introduced the thread with a copy of "my" post about kender using global thievery, rather than implementing a guild exclusive version.

Kas's push of a button post and all of its replies should probably have been next, although at that point we're probably down to a page or two of the original thread, many of them by Celemir.
Last edited by Strider on 04 Apr 2016 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 04 Apr 2016 20:37

first of all -- I wasn't suggesting a permanent over arching protection spell.. that lasted indefinitely. And I was reacting to Kas saying there was no method to prevent a thief from pushing one button to swipe all your items.

Why shouldn't there be a way to protect oneself from thieves? We have protections from mages spells through different magical items.. we have protection from weapons through armours... why shouldn't we have a mechanism to protect us from thieves.

Improved Awareness is already one method.

I was just suggesting something cool and interesting as an alternative... that would be a mana drain for the person.. be of a laymen nature .. not full blown all the time.. so you had to be viligent in keeping track of your protection spells.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 04 Apr 2016 21:03

Depends on how this is implemented.

1) Evils need an OOC theif guild. Wouldnt want MM to be the only ones who suffer lost stuff.
Lets make sure to share this equally with the goodies also.

2) Spamming of steal shouldnt be possible. Extremely annoying to see a thief spam steal while you are in the process of mail and can see what happens but not quit out fast enough to stop them.

3) What you steal should affect how hard it is to pull off. Stealing a weapon might be easier than a suit of armour. Armour when moved tends to make alot of noise.

4) How much you steal should affect how hard it is to pull off. And there should be a maximum of any items you can steal at once, perhaps dependant on types of items. Coins you can steal much more of than say herbs or a stack of weapons.

We have been offered nothing though. Just that this will happen.

So flesh some of this out. Dont just implement it in game for the unbalance to ruin the fun for many.

And trust me the times you forget to wear an item or store some items and loose them is already annoying for most. But it is also true that it is our fault cause we forget to close containers etc. So not too annoying.

I just hope everyone gets to enjoy this fun. Especially the goodies, since Kenders are good, I would think they would steal from evils, of course kenders never steal really, they just 'could'. But that begs the question too.

And yes, there should be more protection than just awareness for theft. Much like Kit said.

Personally this will end up burning out all those who are stolen from is all I see. Worthless for the game as a whole. Especially since anyone under expert is probably new and will love this style of fun when starting game.
Just find that nice intense item .... but oh wait so fun to lose it before you get to AH. Ah fun for the thieves. Yippy. We can be the MMO who fights the norm. Sweetness!

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 05 Apr 2016 00:24

Ydred wrote:Depends on how this is implemented.

1) Evils need an OOC theif guild. Wouldnt want MM to be the only ones who suffer lost stuff.
Lets make sure to share this equally with the goodies also.

2) Spamming of steal shouldnt be possible. Extremely annoying to see a thief spam steal while you are in the process of mail and can see what happens but not quit out fast enough to stop them.

3) What you steal should affect how hard it is to pull off. Stealing a weapon might be easier than a suit of armour. Armour when moved tends to make alot of noise.

4) How much you steal should affect how hard it is to pull off. And there should be a maximum of any items you can steal at once, perhaps dependant on types of items. Coins you can steal much more of than say herbs or a stack of weapons.

We have been offered nothing though. Just that this will happen.

So flesh some of this out. Dont just implement it in game for the unbalance to ruin the fun for many.

And trust me the times you forget to wear an item or store some items and loose them is already annoying for most. But it is also true that it is our fault cause we forget to close containers etc. So not too annoying.

I just hope everyone gets to enjoy this fun. Especially the goodies, since Kenders are good, I would think they would steal from evils, of course kenders never steal really, they just 'could'. But that begs the question too.

And yes, there should be more protection than just awareness for theft. Much like Kit said.

Personally this will end up burning out all those who are stolen from is all I see. Worthless for the game as a whole. Especially since anyone under expert is probably new and will love this style of fun when starting game.
Just find that nice intense item .... but oh wait so fun to lose it before you get to AH. Ah fun for the thieves. Yippy. We can be the MMO who fights the norm. Sweetness!
1. Agreed, both sides should have some sort of thiefguild.

2. Again, agreed, it should cost mana and/or have a cooldown, I can imagine it would be quite mentally taxing to sneak up on a big bad myth and try stealing [silly stuff].

3&4. Ofcouse, also items that would make a sound when stolen, perhaps one item at a time with an exception for coins, gems and herbs? As herbs tend to not make clinking noises when handled. Stealing 50 potion bottles out of a backpack sounds quite insane unless you're stealing for stoners or dead people (HAH! Mages! :D) Also, stealing more than 10-20 quite noisy coins would generate sound and be big for ones hand wouldnt it?

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 05 Apr 2016 00:33

maybe you should do play www.FighterMUD.org/AllWeDo.asp?IsKill.html if what you just want is only kill mob to loot is things.

Fortunisly we can play role here and know a good role is reward with good things. And bad people emass bad karma and do not prosper. I am glad to be worry of thief activity. this is a good challenge. Is more funny how so many complain, oh my imbue thing is steal! when they are myth and kill a person and take every thing of corpse. oh no, a myth is should not lose any points, but oh my in www.GenesisMUD.org/FU.asp?grinder.htm there is more to life. Thank you for this.
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/