Scripting in Genesis

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rincon
Great Adventurer

Scripting in Genesis

Post by Rincon » 25 May 2016 08:53

I think that this is a good moment to start a discussion on scripting.

If a wizard feels that all his hard work put into coding the event went down the drain because of scripters and that scripters ruined the event for other players, then Cherek (and rest of the admin) please imagine how non scripting players feel when they come across scripters, players using autohunt, script buying on auction, etc. I can give you a hint: frustrated and cheated to say the least.

My suggestion is to ban autohunting scripts (like they used to be some time ago) and exp grinding scripts.

We dont need to go to the extremum, like they did on a different mud. Banning triggers, speed walking, scripting, everything. A player got deleted there for notorious speed walking.

Ody
Hero

Re: info

Post by Ody » 25 May 2016 18:13

Rincon wrote:My suggestion is to ban autohunting scripts (like they used to be some time ago) and exp grinding scripts.
Autohunting scripts should be banned. I'm all for that.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Scripting in Genesis

Post by Cherek » 25 May 2016 19:27

Hope you dont mind I created a new topic for this discussion Rincon.

We have discussed these things many times in the Admin. Personally I believe the best way to keep players form scripting is to design game elements that do not encourage scripting behavior. Unfortunately that is an uphill battle as a lot of the game elements do exactly this. Grinding, forging and herbing are tasks that scripts do a lot better than a human, therefore people script them.

I am highly skeptical that with rules forcing people to manually type in "search here for herbs", "forge sword", "kill troll" a thousand times will make Genesis a more fun game? Also, it's already very hard to prove botting, proving that someones uses a script will most likely be almost impossible. Add a few random delays to your script, and how am I supposed to know if you script or type? I don't see how we realistically can ever enforce a rule like that, or if it improves the game? Making grinding more interactive and unpredictable, and perhaps removing the need to grind so MUCH I think are better ways to encourage players to be more social and less robotic.

Autohunting scripts are hard to make a rule against as well for the same reason, however it's something we have discussed, and our conclusion every time has always been that a better way would be to implement code that simply prevents autohunting scripts AND speedwalking when in PVP combat. I personally believe that would be quite interesting. As with anything someone has to code it though... and that's basically where we are stuck on that idea. It's been discussed having an anti-autohunting rule until such a system can be coded, but that is mainly an AoP thing, so Mirandus (who is currently away on a short vacation) would have to answer that.

In general, I do not think scripts should be banned. I do not think scripting in itself is a problem, doing it unattended is, and we already have rules against that. And if there are certain elements where we DO want to prevent scripting completely there are ways to do that. For the auction Gorboth designed a very nice and thematic captcha thing that would be very hard to script around, it just needs to be implemented... Gorboth?!

About the event, for version 2.0 I know Jaacar and Petros are working on ways to prevent scripting and botting to win.

Titan

Post by Avatar » 26 May 2016 08:35

Cherek wrote: perhaps removing the need to grind so MUCH I think are better ways to encourage players to be more social and less robotic.
Remove brute ;)
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 27 May 2016 08:56

Cherek wrote: perhaps removing the need to grind so MUCH I think are better ways to encourage players to be more social and less robotic.
Remove brute ;)
Perhaps change what brutality does? I kind of like qualification it gives.. Especially if others could see it.
Someone with a high brutality level could waltz into a place and have all the NPCs crap their pants. Analogous to a gunslinger walking into a saloon.
Also along those lines, high brutality could cause certain NPCs (or players, for that matter) to challenge them.

It would totally change the exp system though.. Still, it's an interesting concept, if I do say so myself..

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/