Genemon Event

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Greneth

Re: Genemon Event

Post by Greneth » 24 May 2016 22:17

Mersereau wrote:Will actions be taken against the exploiters?
I should hope not, bit hypocritical to come down on scripting so harsh in the event but just shrug some shoulders at the various afk scripting uber Myths throughout the years and to the very day.

Jaacar
Wizard

Post by Jaacar » 24 May 2016 23:14

Jooli wrote:I think the event would benefit from it being less like throwing a dice. It felt after some hours spent testing different creatures to be fairly random. When there is little benefit from player interaction in the event, I'm not really surprised it turns to a triggerevent.
The event uses the Genesis combat system - no random dice throwing, just the same combat system you use when you attack any creature/player in the game.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 25 May 2016 00:35

Kudos Jacaar for pulling together this unique event for the community! While it didn't turn out as intended, when building something unique like this it is pretty rare to go without a hitch :)

Looking forward to see what you come up with for Genemon Mk II!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 May 2016 01:11

Greneth wrote:
Mersereau wrote:Will actions be taken against the exploiters?
I should hope not, bit hypocritical to come down on scripting so harsh in the event but just shrug some shoulders at the various afk scripting uber Myths throughout the years and to the very day.
We aren't just shrugging our shoulders at afk-scripting uber myths, but we've discussed that many times, and as you know we do our best to catch anyone breaking the rules with the time we have, and we DO catch abusers and cheaters now and then, but public announcement has never been part of their punishments. During my time as AoP we caught a handful of afk scripters, and Mirandus and his team has caught at least as many since he took over, and a bunch of other types of cheats as well. Mirandus is pretty good at catching people, better than I was! So, no, botting an event (or anything else) is not okay, and if people are caught botting they will obviously be punished according to our rules. While "event-botting" is not specifically mentioned in the rules, it obviously goes under the general rule at the top: "Automation designed for UNATTENDED control of the character is unwelcome in Genesis."
Guktar wrote: I'm also hoping for some clarification on scripting rules. One discussion I had with an immortal seemed to imply it was all okay, another implied it was not. I'm curious if this event will follow precedent on the turkey event and just allow for it. If not, I am sure those of us who have made use of triggers will be happy to stop. I've only done so after asking an immortal...
Rules against botting definitely applies during events as well, unless the event rules clearly mentions a rule exception, like during the turkey event, which I think is the only exception to our botting-rules ever? Anyway, Jaacar obviously did not say "Botting is ok" for this event, so our standard rules applies as always. If I may guess, there was a confusion about what's scripting and what's botting when you (Guktar) spoke to those wizards? All wizards and most players hopefully know that botting is NEVER allowed in Genesis.

Now, scripting is NOT botting, and scripting and triggers are NOT illegal and perfectly fine as long as you're around the computer, and it's of course fine to use scripts and triggers to aid you during an event too, just as in normal play. If someone said it's not, again, I suspect a confusion about what the words "botting" and "scripting" means? Botting is never allowed, scripting fine.

If someone have proof of people BOTTING the event, one would assume they contacted the AoP? If not, please do so next time. If Mirandus is not around while the botting takes place, Nerull is on the AoP team as well, and another Admin member can also be contacted, but sometimes none of us are here, or we're all idle, and then we unfortunately miss out on catching them, because botting is almost impossible to prove by logs. You simple need to catch them in the act.

Also remember that exploiting obvious flaws and bugs instead of reporting them is also mentioned in our rules, and that of course applies to events as well. Now, since this is a new event it's probably not that easy for a player to know what's intended and what's a bug, and part of most events is to find the best strategy, but it's still it's worth mentioning for when the event (hopefully) reopens.

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 25 May 2016 08:45

Jaacar wrote:
Jooli wrote:I think the event would benefit from it being less like throwing a dice. It felt after some hours spent testing different creatures to be fairly random. When there is little benefit from player interaction in the event, I'm not really surprised it turns to a triggerevent.
The event uses the Genesis combat system - no random dice throwing, just the same combat system you use when you attack any creature/player in the game.
On one colour lvl I had 15 loss and 4 win.
Two of those losses were against better opps.
Asking around, others also thought that there were more lose than win vs the shadow.
Maybe it is 'normal' feeling when one lose, but wins are not felt the same way.
But it sure felt like losing was more common. maybe it was not.

One more thing I 'felt' but maybe was also just pure normal.
Too often the tide turned in the fights.
A took a great lead, about 3 or 4 health levels, then poff poff poff, B was in the lead.
Then A was dd and B was vbs and poff poff poff A won.
Those things never happen in other fights.
They are almost always pretty linear. Maybe I'm cofused as longer normal fights are always pushed by a players specials and skills, but the feeling was there.

No matter what. This was a good event. I had great fun and met people I would never have met without it.
Great stuff and a big thx again.

(PS on some happenings I saw my opponents name, without me knowing him.
For example after a fight it said something "Way to go Mim" if I won and "Better luck next time Mim" if I lost, and it was not checked in those in the room knew me or not.)

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 26 May 2016 03:32

While I'm not really sure the types of scripts being used people used to get blacklisted for events back in the day for doing shit like that. To quote a friend of mine... "You done gone and fucked up," and you should pay the consequences.

People buying slaves in Sanction for one shot kills to gather teeth for the Tooth Event = Blacklisted
Can't remember which event it was but I remember catching someone doing something illegal in the Shire orcs = Blacklisted

Make people put actual time into the event rather than script through it. My hat off to Jacaar for actually closing it down and reworking it to fix the issue.

As good as Gorboth's intentions were during the turkey event to get people to play that kind of reward for literally leaving a character unattended in a safe room has in my opinion, for the measley coppers its worth, no opinion in Genesis. It was known by everyone that certain players were sleeping and when you entered their characters room they auto said what it would take to get them to battle. That kind of behavior when Stern was still able to be riled up would have gotten you banned from future events for a while.

Instead what you have now is the same group of people who botted to the top now botting to take the top spots in events which for people who only play during them is really unfortunate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/