Non-flamey Size Discussion

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amberlee
Myth

Re: Non-flamey Size Discussion

Post by Amberlee » 02 Jun 2017 12:56

Depends on the ++ in the supreme stat.
Regardless.
Hard caps are a bad idea.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Emmiline Calaith
Adventurer

Post by Emmiline Calaith » 02 Jun 2017 16:49

Amberlee wrote:Depends on the ++ in the supreme stat.
Regardless.
Hard caps are a bad idea.
If I could make a suggestion.

You said that the idea of giving older players other things to do is a bad idea. But I have a possible solution that I've seen in another game, and it works absolutely fantastic. All players are perfectly happy with it.

There is a hard cap on how big your character can be. It takes a lot of hard work and time, just like Genesis. However, once you reach the hard cap, you get a special deal of sorts. The XP you gain from both quests and combat is increased by 4%, and from now on, you have a "bar" of sorts, that you can fill up. Each time it's filled, you get a really cool, valuable reward of some kind. In Genesis this could be implemented as the option to join a really cool, special club after you fill the bar a certain number of times, with titles and everything for your description, and new emotes. It could be that you gain access to certain new areas (these areas could be anywhere in the realms, making the theme of the area very make-it-your-own for whichever wizard that would code it, which I think would be appealing to many wizards because they won't be restricted by much except the obvious things they already are). It could be a special ability or several special abilities of some sort.

Hell, if they find a dedicated enough set of wizards, maybe Genesis could even introduce a remort system for those who have reached that point. It'd be like dying and changing your race, except it could have new options, and you start as a lower level character once you change and work your way up. I've seen that done in several MUDs. It keeps a lot of big players motivated, especially when you have different remort levels to reach that each have even more powerful races that you can choose from. I've read lots of suggestions for new races that could be implemented in Genesis. This could be a way a great way make that possible.

Whether any of this is something the wizards would be willing to even consider, well, I think that is something they should answer themselves. But I think that yes, putting a hard cap would probably be a bad idea. Making really cool things available to those that reach said hard cap, however, is something I think everyone would have a lot of fun with.
There are three types of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

Zedex
Beginner

Post by Zedex » 02 Jun 2017 20:50

Johnny wrote: It just sounds like smaller players want an even playing field.
Obviously, if not just be ready for this game to be max 15 players online again. Of course it might be good for you but is it for the game.

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 03 Jun 2017 04:12

Well, there is no hard cap and the game went from 15 to 75+ soooooo I still don't see the point of it. It's not a win-win with hard cap. It's a win-lose and then then winners eventually become losers.

The game was tough and the wizards have made it easier without the hard cap.

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 03 Jun 2017 04:40

Johnny wrote:Well, there is no hard cap and the game went from 15 to 75+ soooooo I still don't see the point of it. It's not a win-win with hard cap. It's a win-lose and then then winners eventually become losers.

The game was tough and the wizards have made it easier without the hard cap.
The game jumped not due to game mechanics but because of the hard work put into the client. It then jumped again with the recent promotion push. But retaining players is the problem.

No one that is for the soft cap will answer the simple question of why a soft cap is more beneficial for the game overall in terms if now and 10 years from now as compared to other less problematic models such as a hardcap or increasing the growth rate? Why must it be stats that people grind?

People say the next generation just wants the game easier and they wish it was harder. Why does this game need to emulate chinese MMO games of grind for years to show how superior you are? Why can we not increase the difficulty of NPCs to be bigger, more randomized specials, blocking, hunting, darkness, blind, fears? Hell they can do an idian rain dance that lowers all stats and you cant avoid it.

The next generation doesnt care if you turn the difficulty up to x100. What they dislike is the generic, bland grind for 10+ hours a day to see who can waste the most time and playing the game of guess the syntax.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 03 Jun 2017 05:43

With a hard cap, there is no reason to add newer, more challenging content.
If one can get infinitely stronger, an infinity of new content is called for.

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 03 Jun 2017 05:46

Melarec wrote:With a hard cap, there is no reason to add newer, more challenging content.
Cant form teams and create interaction? Everything has to be soloed?

That would mean 90% of the games out there have no reason to add new more challenging content. Its called a raid, teaming, instances. You create content that requires interaction and less scriptings.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 03 Jun 2017 06:31

Cerin wrote:
Melarec wrote:With a hard cap, there is no reason to add newer, more challenging content.
Cant form teams and create interaction? Everything has to be soloed?

That would mean 90% of the games out there have no reason to add new more challenging content. Its called a raid, teaming, instances. You create content that requires interaction and less scriptings.
Player interaction based content would be nice.
But how does one set that up to function without a moderator/Game Master?
And, of course, role-play based content is not necessarily dependent on size, so the issue of a cap becomes moot.
Ah well.

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 03 Jun 2017 07:03

Cerin wrote:The next generation doesnt care if you turn the difficulty up to x100. What they dislike is the generic, bland grind for 10+ hours a day to see who can waste the most time and playing the game of guess the syntax.
Isn't this the case for all games? You grind? Grind dundgeons/mobs/whatever for loot, equipment, badges, accomplishments, k/d ratios, skins, etc.? Genesis just happens to have the perk of unlimited size.
Cerin wrote:The game jumped not due to game mechanics but because of the hard work put into the client.
Game client implementation and improvement I lumped together, in my mind, as making the game easier. Telnet was a STRUGGLE back in the day! But SUCH great memories! Oh computer lab days, Drogo trying to mount a house and dying, ha! :twisted:
Cerin wrote:That would mean 90% of the games out there have no reason to add new more challenging content. Its called a raid, teaming, instances. You create content that requires interaction and less scripting.
Scriptwriters will continue to find a way to script through this. BUT! I agree, this will no undoubtedly happen over time as long as people keep Wizzing.
Zedex wrote:Of course it might be good for you but is it for the game.
See! Zedex agrees too! I'm guessing a [not] was supposed to be in there. Either way, if the game had 1000 players of all sizes, I'd still spend my time in places many do not go. Hard caps makes it more even for PvP but for PvE it's pointless?
Emmiline Calaith wrote:Hell, if they find a dedicated enough set of wizards, maybe Genesis could even introduce a remort system for those who have reached that point. It'd be like dying and changing your race, except it could have new options, and you start as a lower level character once you change and work your way up. I've seen that done in several MUDs. It keeps a lot of big players motivated, especially when you have different remort levels to reach that each have even more powerful races that you can choose from. I've read lots of suggestions for new races that could be implemented in Genesis. This could be a way a great way make that possible.
Interesting! But, how will races be stronger if everyone can max out stats? Ooo! How about a weapon that becomes more powerful the more times you remort! That could be a bad idea too. Anyways, Johnny will always stay his race. He needs to keep his ties to the family who grew Old Toby into existence :D

How about adding more quests that only veterans/experts and below can do. This will give them more qxp; thus, lower brutes and faster leveling to help close the size gap? As for additional game content, that would come naturally like it has over the lifetime of Genesis.

Dorrien
Adventurer

Post by Dorrien » 05 Jun 2017 22:02

I have seen a theme a couple of times talking about player retention... yall ready to drop that one? This game has players who have put 30+ years into it. Players who take long hiatus' and return for years. I have rage quit a couple of times only to be drawn back by the fact that me stopping only hurt myself and it is up to me to get back at it if I want more. I also see people making comments about making NPCs more difficult/surprising... but you are complaining about not being big enough to take em on already... shooting yourself in both feet here...

Cerin, I will answer your question about why a soft cap is better. Now, the future and the past. It gives players old and new something to endlessly work at if they'd like. I am willing to bet that if there was or there becomes a hard cap you will lose many 10+ and 20+ year players. That is some serious retention loss. Years worth of devotion, knowledge and assistance vanish. Xar, the biggest player ever (unless he has been outpaced, doubt it) left the game due to a guild hard cap being implemented that cut his effectiveness in half. Sure this closed a global gap but for what? No on else but he had surpassed the cap by much and he was hardly seen either. What do you want to grind on then? You aren't going to like anything that you get to grind, thats why it is called the grind. "Cool looking gear" isn't really worth grinding, we all see shit differently in our heads. Quests? We can, hard cap there though so you stop doing that once you hit it, super fun..!? Money? Cap me and I will murder you, I like my moneys. It is size. I have always considered this game to attempt to mimic the real world as much as possible while remaining a fantasy game. There aint no cap other than physics to how big we can get, how smart or how talented. The ones who grind their talents are the ones who reap the rewards.

Its growth rate growth rate growth rate to yall. Come back in 13 years after you put your mind to it rather than log on and gain a level and we can continue this discussion. As I said, I am NOT a myth on ANY of my characters and the growth rate is not to blame. I enjoy equipment hunting, that doesn't generate copious amounts of flowing xp. I can't seem to stay away from Lars for more than 6 months at a time, this will set you back. I have not done all of the quests either. This is by far my biggest setback. Not game mechanics, not Myth+++++++ nuking me to oblivion, not the game being too hard, just my lack of focused effort to get to the top. Once you focus you start to see the gains, seriously. I know the community that I am speaking to, but I also know some of us due visit the oh so scary Gym! Same principle, focus for a few weeks and gains start to appear.

Every game with a hard cap loses its player base unless new content is added that you end up GRINDING on until you max that and complain some more for new content. That content takes real time to create and time is money, something our game admin and developers do not get compensated with...

Cerin, size isn't about showing your superiority... there are plenty of examples of properly prepared individuals taking down larger people than themselves. NPCs already do everything that you listed. Might not be a rain dance but I do know of a couple clouds that are unavoidable and really suck to be caught within. Size is a personal reward for the players who put in the effort to get there. Grand Master Eagledraco was not the LARGEST knight, he was the best and he was revered for it. Some do, but most Myths and Myth+++ don't walk around looking at a Veteran and think "what a f***king piece of garbage, pfft not even Champion... *scoff*". They either don't notice you because you guys don't intro very quickly and we move on or they offer some help! You have players YEARNING to find someone or a group of people worthy of passing their knowledge down to, but it is hard to want to do that when you get mails from someone you have never met who mailed the ENTIRE who list for a book signature(I will begin hunting these people soon, should be easy, probably in Sparkle PO or Church...) or you start to show them how to do all the stuff that is just too hard for yall and they don't write it down, they request it be made a global command in game rather than commit it to memory(that level of laziness is rage inducing). Pick up some paper and a pen, keep it next to your computer, open up a word doc or Notepad or Editor and write stuff down as you learn it, write it down! Welcome to Genesis 101 boys and girls, you made it through High School on Tutorial Island but College and the Real World await. Buckle up, come prepared and lets get after it!

You are the ones requesting a backhoe to dig a trench when you aren't willing to pick up a shovel... the Foreman will laugh, hand you a shovel, tell you "It's hand operated and air cooled" and let the experienced hard-as-f**k working employee step into the backhoe AND give him a bottle of water.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/