Brainstorming: Dis

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Boreaulam
Wizard

Re: Brainstorming: Dis

Post by Boreaulam » 31 May 2017 22:52

nils wrote:
Amberlee wrote:Perhaps make it harder to resist the spells?
If I understand you correctly you propose the higher the casters dis the less likely target will resist it.
What if you change perspektive - The higher the dis of the target the more likely your spell will fail?

The jist of it would be: Discipline increases natural resist.

Would give anyone the incentive to put xp into the stat.
That's actually makes sense for dwarves who are magic resistant in most of the games

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 31 May 2017 23:03

Boreaulam wrote:
nils wrote:
Amberlee wrote:Perhaps make it harder to resist the spells?
If I understand you correctly you propose the higher the casters dis the less likely target will resist it.
What if you change perspektive - The higher the dis of the target the more likely your spell will fail?

The jist of it would be: Discipline increases natural resist.

Would give anyone the incentive to put xp into the stat.
That's actually makes sense for dwarves who are magic resistant in most of the games
Good for Knights too since that's often one of our focused stats.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 01 Jun 2017 09:23

Funny Amberlee's selfish idea got turned on its head :P
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 01 Jun 2017 15:28

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Funny Amberlee's selfish idea got turned on its head :P
Uhm?
No?
I kinda like the idea really.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 01 Jun 2017 15:53

Too stubborn for magic to effect them properly, ey?

Ok, wouldn't suprise me. (it's the beard) :D
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 09 Jun 2017 07:41

So, any final decisions?

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 23 Jul 2017 14:12

Shorter. Lighter. Shorter range. A loser you may belive?
Not so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJL93S64Lfs

One fighter knows he will win. The other one looks like an antilop when the lions close in.
The difference?

DIS

Luma
Adept

Post by Luma » 28 Jul 2017 00:30

Dis is a mental stat, and therefore should be beneficial for spellcasters to focus on that stat.

I think it should be used to allow you to cast spells with greater frequency (the more disciplined you are, the faster you are able to mentally collect yourself), and make you more mentally resistant to attacks and panic.

I know these are not new ideas, but I think it would work well if both were implemented.

mallor
Rising Hero

Post by mallor » 28 Jul 2017 10:26

DIS should be responsible for your behavior in dangerous situations, for instance, low health. Can increase dodge range, absorb damage, etc in such cases.

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Post by Sibbedidenn » 14 Aug 2017 07:56

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I would like to say something about this trend towards thinking that DIS is a mental skill in the sense that your magic skills or your more general mental skills (language, etc) are mental skills --I really have the problem with the whole idea of the mind and the body being separated in this way, which is where this argument for DIS being a mental skill, therefore, more important for magic users comes from as they argue --but is the warrior who must rouse himself every morning to train, so to speak, any less disciplined than the SoHM student who must practice their craft day in and day out to further their studies, no they are not. One must have the discipline to swing his sword arm and fend off his sparring partner or weariness or the pain of training and the other must ward off the dangers of seeking spells and the relative lethargy of a spellcaster's life all with having the mental focus and discipline to continue to comprehend a growing body of knowledge of the magic arts just as the warrior must maintain his vigour for training as he focuses on his growing skills.
We already have a word for what gives you a better capability at casting spells and helps (to my understanding) them not fail and it is Spellcraft and others, respectively, founded in Genesis upon Knowledge and Wisdom. As do warriors have their Sword skill and their Club skill founded upon Strength and Dexterity. Why then would you say Discipline is a mental skill when it has no past ties to Knowledge or Wisdom in Genesis, at least none I know of, and is clearly applied by both magic and non-magic users? We should not make words mean whatever we want, right?
Genesis's definition of DIS seems to be somewhere more along the lines bravery and courage or foolishness and stupidity depending on how you want to look at it. So I submit we either change the name of the stat to one of the aforementioned or give it qualities closer to its meaning. That is, being disciplined in a field of study, not strictly an intellectual field of study mind you; so it seems to me that DIS, once it gets to a certain level of prominence among the other stats in a character, should make easier the learning of skills and the retaining of them. This seems to me the best way to stay true to what discipline is as it is in the individual's relationship with the self, the ability to discipline one's self.
As it is more grounded in the ability to complete a task or strive toward a goal when one does not want to or is stunted in their progress, DIS should not affect the likelihood of spells or attacks to succeed! We already have our respective magic skills for that and warriors have DEX. No, DIS should be made useful when the going gets tough; as in, you lose less health when your stamina runs out, or when you're in a team you can keep going even when you are tired. Mainly when DIS is invested in it should affect skill learning in some clever way a wizard smarter than I can come up with. It should not take over some sort of DEX role for wizards.
Lastly, I would say that I am a student at the SoHM as are others that have argued for DIS affecting cast success rate. It can be annoying as hell when you have trained up your skills and you still only get a 65%ish success rate at best. I think it is actually lower mostly. But that can be solved by tweaking more directly related things than DIS, if ever it comes to that. And for being really, sort of, an entry guild or an AoEA, if you will, with a way more complicated (goodly so) spell finding system and active players, thank Arman! the spells are great and the WoHM I imagine solves these frustrations.

eh, Sib

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/