Brainstorming: Dis

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Brainstorming: Dis

Post by gorboth » 18 May 2017 20:47

Hello all,

Bit of brainstorming lately in the wizard world over the fact that discipline is underutilized - aka a dumpstat.

I'd love to hear everyone's best ideas for ways to make this stat more integral in gameplay, and something players would have a reason to consider preffing.

Given that the majority of races have statmods that punish dis (goblins get it almost cut in half) let's stay away from ideas that will nerf people who suck at dis. Rather, I'd like to hear ideas that would give people who have good discipline a reason to smile.

Aaaaaand ... begin! :-)
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Etanukar
Adept

Re: Brainstorming: Dis

Post by Etanukar » 18 May 2017 20:48

1ST
If you don't have the discipline to attack me, you shouldn't be able to block me

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 18 May 2017 21:24

Up the discipline requirement for really really scary monsters.
Even if they are weaker than you, if they are scarier than you can stand, you shouldn't be able to attack them.

Also, there should be specials that raise the discipline requirement temporarily..
Something that will stop their enemy from fighting or even to flee.

Such as Dragons.. If a Dragonarmy officer calls down a dragon, most soldiers would be terrified.
They would probably back away, if not flee.

And knights.. If a knight is glowing with tremendous holy power, evil monsters are not going to risk it.

And when players (or creatures) are in a team, their discipline should be calculated collectively.
Say, perhaps, a pack of goblins would be more likely to attack as a group, even if they wouldn't when alone.

Super high discipline could also provide a tiny boost to defense as the mind fortifies the body.

Just a couple thoughts.

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 18 May 2017 22:22

Give higher Discipline an Exp bonus, this way everyone benefits in some way but those who focus on Discipline or have it set higher naturally will benefit more. This could actually work in favor of helping the other issue of closing the mortal levels gap. Killed two bird with one stone.

Put it on a sliding scale based on mortal level, you get a large boost till Hero then it begins to slide back down until you hit Myth which sets you at normal exp gain.
Last edited by Cerin on 19 May 2017 00:06, edited 3 times in total.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 18 May 2017 23:51

Not being able to atk more cus of dis is exactly the nerf G said not what we r looking for.

I'd suggest that relatively high dis players become natural leaders and assets to a team.

create a new special team dynamic. Morale
High dis members boost morale. So does killing enemies, fleeing from a fight lowers it.
Team morale being positive allows team commands.
These could be initially a copy and paste of the previous iteration of mercs.
Eg
<order tarax advance>
<order gorboth fallback>
Team leader can set a commander, not necessarily the leader.
If commander has relatively low dis compared to others morale suffers.

If morale breaks team flees as one, and keeps fleeing every few seconds until has moved 10 rooms or someone can <rally team>
High dis helps rally chance.

High morale give bonus to fatigue recovery and health recovery.
Hell may as well boost mana recovery too.
Or maybe lvls of morale determine how many recovery bonuses active.
Can have 2 of any one

Kenders a penalty to morale, cus no one likes them
#joking #sorrynotsorry
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 19 May 2017 00:47

Have panic levels impact combat ability... increased fail rate for spells, reduced hit rate for attacks? If it does already, increase the effect so it is far more noticeable?

Have discipline provide a bonus to combat when teamed? Perhaps combined team comparative average vs opponents average? A band of undisciplined goblins vs a single disciplined warrior could result in a bonus to the knight?

Also, I am not so sure dis is such the stat dump in the new magic system... I've seen it categorised as one of the three 'mental' stats in some of the formulas.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 19 May 2017 01:13

Tarax the Terrible wrote: <order tarax advance>
<order gorboth fallback>
So essentially you suggest making Knight rescue universal? I oppose this for the obvious reason. I like the idea of a fatigue and health recovery morale system though.

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 19 May 2017 01:34

Or since Discipline actually means a branch of knowledge you could open a club of sorts, or use the meditation rooms. Where a player can choose a Discipline to focus on that will give them a small boost. Allow for 5 different tiers based on the Discipline and allow the player to choose from one of them. Be sure to place a 1 day timer or something of the sort to prevent players from changing 20 times a day. For instance:

gutless, frightened, spineless, fearful, cowardly, insecure, timid, sound - Tier 1
bold, brave, courageous, fearless, valiant, heroic, lionhearted - Tier 2
epic discipline - Tier 3
immortal discipline - Tier 4
supreme discipline - Tier 5

Each Tier can hold different Disciplines to Focus on like:

Tier 1 -

Trading Knowledge - 5% Increase when selling to Shops
Hoarder - Allows you to mark a single non-magical weapon under a certain amount of hit/pen to keep even if its not glowing
Runner - 5% stamina recovery rate

Tier 2 -

Improved Trading Knowledge - 10% Increase when selling to Shops
Marathon Runner - 10% stamina recovery rate
Minor Spell Knowledge: Spells, Choose One - Mage Light (Small ball of light that brightens that room only), Regrowth (Resets the Herbs in your current room), Enhance Weapon (Slows the Dulling Process on a non-magical weapon)

Tier 3 -

Master Trader - 15% Increase when selling to Shops
Alchemist - Potion and Herb Effects when consumed are 5% Stronger
Advanced Spell Knowledge - Spells, Choose One - Expand Mind (Provides +5 adapt points for any skill), Enchant Weapon (Slows the dulling process on a magical weapon), Rejuvenate (Minor Heals Stamina over time)

Tier - 4

Master Alchemist - Potion and Herb effects when consumed are 10% Stronger
Silent Mind - Prevents any magical means to speak with you in your mind
Master Spell Knowledge - Spells, Choose One - Enlightened Mind (Provides +10 adapt points for any skill), Mirage (Creates a Mirror Image of yourself to fight an enemy for a few seconds allowing you to escape the room), Remain Hidden (Replaces your real name on the who list with a random one)

Tier - 5

Dual Focus - Choose any two of the Previous Disciplines to Focus on.

Ckrik
Wizard

Post by Ckrik » 19 May 2017 01:39

Arman wrote:Have panic levels impact combat ability... increased fail rate for spells, reduced hit rate for attacks? If it does already, increase the effect so it is far more noticeable?

Have discipline provide a bonus to combat when teamed? Perhaps combined team comparative average vs opponents average? A band of undisciplined goblins vs a single disciplined warrior could result in a bonus to the knight?

Also, I am not so sure dis is such the stat dump in the new magic system... I've seen it categorised as one of the three 'mental' stats in some of the formulas.
I believe there are many specials and spells that take DIS into account. I need to double check, but I believe panic somehow indirectly affects combat. However, like you mentioned, it's either not noticeable or the effect dies off after a certain stat level.

As for other ideas, perhaps DIS can give a small combat skill bonus beyond what is normally achievable i.e. greater than what the player has trained to and potentially surpassing sup guru?

Anfalas
Wanderer

Post by Anfalas » 19 May 2017 05:21

Panic level definitely plays a part in combat. There's a huge difference between extremely secure and very secure at my level. You are hit more often and harder by melee. Almost as if my defense skill has dropped.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/